DBSTalk Forum banner

boy, directv is lucky!

2K views 22 replies 16 participants last post by  ktm250 
#1 ·
seriously, if u-verse or fios was available in my area, i'd be gone in a heartbeat.* 3 years of 'mad men' and 'breaking bad' in sd. now, this latest nr (03de, for me) has made the most basic function of time-shifting unusable. (yes, the stuttering. and since the outage last week, it seems to be even worse!)

on the bright side, if i cared about 3d programming, i could record some, and watch it stutter. well, if i bought a new tv, that is.

*yeah, i'm just venting. but seriously, i'm pissed. i suppose i could call and complain and get my 3 free months of starz or showtime, which i wouldn't be able to watch! sheesh...

#10 ·
How come you are absolutely sure the new software is the problem?

The range for my RF remote went to pot just after the nationwide reboot. I've traded out batteries a couple of times and it's still terrible. Should I blame the reboot? I mean, it had to cause it, right? They happened at the same time. No, the reboot couldn't possibly have anything to do with my remote range problem. It's totally impossible and the fact my range died at that moment is just a coincidence.

Doesn't the fact that most everyone here doesn't have your problem and yet has the identical software to you count for anything?

No doubt something is wrong with your system. Maybe it is the software. But to insist it is that may keep you from finding out the real cause.

#11 ·
Carl Spock said:
The range for my RF remote went to pot just after the nationwide reboot. I've traded out batteries a couple of times and it's still terrible. Should I blame the reboot? I mean, it had to cause it, right? They happened at the same time. No, the reboot couldn't possibly have anything to do with my remote range problem. It's totally impossible and the fact my range died at that moment is just a coincidence.
Respectfully, now I think you are jumping to a conclusion.

It is entirely possible that a component in the IR receiver section of the DVR died when the reboot occurred. It would probably have happened eventually anyway, but it certainly could have failed when being rebooted.

#12 ·
My HR21-700 had really bad stuttering on all channels and on all recorded content. I even had a "vibration" like shudder on the guide and menus after the new software downloaded.
Through days of troubleshooting, they just replaced the receiver. They think it was a bad Hard Drive.

Contact them and go through the troubleshooting and get a new receiver. My HR21-100 is now running great.

#13 ·
Uverse

1 dvr with small hard drive, no ability for external, no more then 1 DVR
in most cases 2HD/2SD tv streams, some places 1HD/2SD max - you get to watch/record 2 HD channels at the same time

Directv (my config)

4 HD DVR w/ 1TB externals
1 SD dvr

total of 8 HD tuners compared to Uverse 2, total of 2 SD tuners, same as Uverse, capability of watching/recording up to 10 shows at one.

Directv provider of choice, Uverse cannot compare

#16 ·
paulman182 said:
It is entirely possible that a component in the IR receiver section of the DVR died when the reboot occurred. It would probably have happened eventually anyway, but it certainly could have failed when being rebooted.
What you say is interesting, paulman, because you make my point for me. Maybe my RF circuit went belly up during the reboot. But did DirecTV cause it? No. As you say, it would have happened eventually anyway, during the next reboot I did. It was pure coincidence that it happened during DirecTV's reboot.

Should I blame them? Should I start a thread blasting DirecTV and their rotten software/guide data and how it broke my receiver? I don't think so.

The OP has a problem with his system. It needs to be fixed. My advice would be to concentrate on the problem, not the cause. The cause is just speculation. The problem is real.

#17 ·
Carl Spock said:
How come you are absolutely sure the new software is the problem?
i am sure because it's been reported by others besides myself...

http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?p=2468275#post2468275
http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=179271
http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?p=2501007#post2501007

perhaps it's not as widespread a problem as i thought it was, but if you were experiencing this issue, i promise, you'd be pissed. think about it, there's only two basic functions i require from this box: 1) show me hd content and 2) let me time-shift it. well, half of what i want this box to do - arguably the more important half - is broken. not 100% broken, but damn near unwatchable.

i know d* reads this forum, but i suppose i should call as well, just to be sure.

#18 ·
In one of the posts you link to, the OP had a different hard drive that was causing the problem. He changed that out and it went away. In the others, the posters made the same supposition you did that it was the software. The point hasn't been proven one way or another.

Yes, you should call if you want your problem fixed. To expect DirecTV to read this thread and go, "You know, 99% of the folks out there don't have a problem with the current software but shmengie does so we should revamp it" is not realistic.

#19 ·
Carl Spock said:
What you say is interesting, paulman, because you make my point for me. Maybe my RF circuit went belly up during the reboot. But did DirecTV cause it? No. As you say, it would have happened eventually anyway, during the next reboot I did. It was pure coincidence that it happened during DirecTV's reboot.
My post was meant to be technical, not argumentative. :)

#20 ·
Sixto said:
I have FiOS internet and DirecTV. Best of the best.

HR24 is perfect. DirecTV content is nice. FiOS is fast. All good stuff.
+1

...and I'm here for another two years. I couldn't pass up the offer of a free second HD DVR, which was installed Saturday. That came to pass after I called to get the $10 off for 24 months and the helpful CSR mentioned that I was eligible for the second set free.

FiOS internet is just about perfect. I've got three computers networked plus one of the HD DVR's.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.