1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brand New HR44 Internet Connection Problem

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by shendley, Jul 16, 2013.

1. shendley

shendley Hall Of Fame

Nov 27, 2005
    I just had an HR44 installed today about 7 hours ago. I started downloading some On Demand content and a couple of moments later (after it said the show had been added to my playlist) I got a message that said "There was a problem connecting to the internet. Please test your connection." So I ran the test and got an error message that said "Network: Playback errors due to dropped connections." After that I checked and saw that the show I was downloading was indeed downloading, but very slowly.

So I called technical support at Directv and they said the receiver needed 24 hours for everything to be fully downloaded. I know that's true of the guide, but can that be relevant to getting these kinds of errors? And, oh yes, one more thing: I'm not having this problem with an older HR24 I've got. It's downloading On Demand stuff just fine.

2. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    We need more information about your setup... Wireless, wired, CCK, HR44 as CCK, etc?

3. shendley

shendley Hall Of Fame

Nov 27, 2005
    It's connected to the internet via the DECA. An Ethernet cable into the DECA and then coax from the DECA into the receiver. Not sure what CCK means.

4. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    Why is there a DECA on the 44? You only need internet into 44, or use its wireless ability and it puts all your receivers on your network.

5. shendley

shendley Hall Of Fame

Nov 27, 2005
    I don't know. Installer said I needed it. Do you think it might help if I disconnected it and ran the Ethernet cable directly into the 44? Right now, it appears to be working in the sense that my HR24 is connected to the internet from it.

6. shendley

shendley Hall Of Fame

Nov 27, 2005
    How about: does anyone think the person I spoke to at Directv could be right, that this could just be an issue of the receiver needing 24 hours to download everything it needs?

7. Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2009
    How about: does anyone think the person I spoke to at Directv could be right, that this could just be an issue of the receiver needing 24 hours to download everything it needs?

It's usually a minimum of 24 hours.
    Mobile...

8. shendley

shendley Hall Of Fame

Nov 27, 2005
    Thanks, that's helpful. So I guess I should just wait until tomorrow afternoon and see how it behaves downloading then. I just didn't see how the 24 hour period applied to something like internet access.

9. Supramom2000

Supramom2000 In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

Jun 20, 2007
    Colbert, WA
    Some other people have reported problems with VOD even though everything else with their internet systems works fine. Personally, we can only get the slowest DSL here, so my download speed via VOD is atrocious.

You might try getting rid of the white Deca box and just plugging the ethernet cable directly into the box. One less piece of equipment to deal with.

10. shendley

shendley Hall Of Fame

Nov 27, 2005
    I'm going to give it until we're past the 24 hour time tomorrow and see if things are working better. Then I may give that a shot. I'm really enjoying the 44 otherwise. The "mini" is so cool. I can't believe how small it is! Hopefully we can get this wrinkle ironed out shortly.

11. sweep49

sweep49 Legend

Jul 15, 2008
    SW GA
    I don't think it will work right with an external deca hooked up to the HR44. Remove it and hook the sat coax directly to the hr44 which has deca built into it. The Hr44 has wireless lan built in also, and it will guide you during network setup to link to your wireless router (it you have one). I don't think that waiting 24 hours will help this problem.

12. fazzmanic

fazzmanic New Member

Aug 21, 2007
    I too had the HR44 and 2 clients installed yesterday. The installer told me that if you connect Ethernet to the HR44 it will break the whole-home dvr functionality. He said connecting to Wifi with HR44 is the way to go (wont break anything). You do not need DECA for the HR44. If connecting the network physically breaks anything, I cannot confirm or deny as I haven't tested it yet.

Good luck.

13. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Some installers haven't got recent training.

The best way to go is ethernet direct to the HR44.

14. Laxguy

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    You should not use more than one connection type to the router. Use WiFi only if you have to. Best is ethernet direct to HR44, equally good is a CCK which inserts the internet connection which is then shared by the coax in a Whole Home setup.

15. h_a_h_3

h_a_h_3 New Member

Apr 8, 2008
    Installer also told me not to use my ethernet cable on the HR44 that had been plugged into the HR21. Wireless is slower than wired, I plugged it in and re-ran network setup. No CCK/DECA extra boxes and VOD, Pandora, etc. works fine.

16. Laxguy

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Excellent!

17. shendley

shendley Hall Of Fame

Nov 27, 2005
    I eliminated the Deca and now have one coax and Ethernet cable running directly to the 44 and it looks like everything's functioning as it should. Curiously, I'm still getting an error message when I run the system test for the Network. It reads "Playback errors due to dropped connections. This receiver appears to be experiencing network playback errors. If you are experiencing problems watching recorded content, please call customer service . . ." I'm not sure what's up with this, but I'm not experiencing problems watching recorded content. The MRV seems to be working smoothly. My only remaining minor concern is that it's taking VOD content a very long time to download - I'm guestimating over 3 hours for a one hour show. But this may be because my 44, unlike my 24, is not giving me the option to do a faster download at 720p.

18. Laxguy

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Sounds right, all except the VOD download speed.

19. shendley

shendley Hall Of Fame

Nov 27, 2005
    I may have spoken too soon. The 44 got 68% through downloading an episode of "Six Feet Under" and I got a message saying it was unable to continue downloading it and that it would try again later. Supramom2000 mentioned others having trouble with their Genies and VOD. I wonder if this is what others have seen.

20. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    Why is there a DECA on the 44? You only need internet into 44, or use its wireless ability and it puts all your receivers on your network.

Installers still seem to think the CCK is required.

- Merg

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app