1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

broadband deca and wireless connection options

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by tech24218, Feb 2, 2011.

1. Feb 2, 2011 #1 of 21
    tech24218

tech24218 AllStar

Aug 12, 2009
    I've been searching on this subject for about a half hour now and haven't found the answer I'm looking for yet.

I did an install today and I am having problems connecting the broadband deca to the router. I brought the cable from the dish in from an exterior wall to a d12. In the same room as the d12 is the cable modem/ wireless router.

The router and modem is on an interior wall and the customer refuses to move the modem/ router because of voip and other home business needs located on that wall. The room has entry walk ways on either wall between the d12 and router. With safety concerns in mind I can't run a cable across the floor. Also it's a hardwood floor so I can't sneak it under the carpet and to make things more challenging this room is on a concrete slab. The customer is absolutely opposed to running the cable over the door ways. They are also refusing to sign my paperwork until the broadband deca is installed so they can have on demand for their children.

Physically running a cat5 or coax to the router is out of the possibility. Is there anyway to add a wap to the router and broadband kit? Or is it possible to supply the internet connection to the broadband deca through the dod homeplugs? My team leader told me that you can not hook up a broadband deca with a homeplug that it would shut down the mvr. I don't know if my explaining the situation confused him or if there is some other reason this may be true. I spent about 7 hours on this install that should've taken no more then 2.5 hours.

Anyone have any ideas?

2. Feb 2, 2011 #2 of 21
    Mcmiller519

Mcmiller519 AllStar

Oct 15, 2010
    I would just take there equipment out and tell them sorry but u can't complete there install properly and u can't finish the job, some times it's easier that way deffinetly if they won't sign the paper work

3. Feb 2, 2011 #3 of 21
    veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    Broadband DECA to router can be done with "homeplugs" or a wireless gaming adapter.
    This doesn't affect MRV because it doesn't [or shouldn't] be going through this leg. MRV, when done right, stays in the DECA cloud.

Tough job and hope you'll get out of it with your shirt still in place.

4. Feb 2, 2011 #4 of 21
    wallfishman

wallfishman Icon

Dec 31, 2008
    so split the d12 cable
    1 to d12 , 1 to broadband deca. broadband deca to wireless adapter.

at router another wireless adapter with ethernet to router

5. Feb 6, 2011 #5 of 21
    leeliam

leeliam Mentor

Aug 2, 2010
    I've had other techs tell me homeplugs will pass the broadband deca signal. Plug the homeplug in near the router and make sure it's plugged directly into the wall.

Plug the other homeplug near the D12 and connect the broadband deca's ethernet cable into the homeplug. Then using a splitter off the wallplate to the d12 connect it up.

6. Feb 6, 2011 #6 of 21
    dsw2112

dsw2112 Always Searching

Jun 12, 2009
    Homeplug or WAP would be the "easy" fix, but I don't believe that's part of the "standard" install. Is it single story with an atic? If so time to break out the custom worksheet and show them what a wall fish will cost.

7. Feb 7, 2011 #7 of 21
    korrupted

korrupted New Member

Jan 27, 2009
    Sounds like your customer needs to pony up the cash for a wireless bridge, something like the D-Link DAP-1522 XTREME N DUO WIRELESS BRIDGE/ACCESS POINT (I can't post links yet so just google DAP-1522).

Hopefully their router does indeed have wireless. If so, this would be a quick way to do their setup, and is actually how I have mine setup. The bridge takes any hardwired connections and connects them wirelessly to an access point or wireless router. I had this setup specifically for my PS3, as wireless G is not fast enough to stream HD reliably from my home server. My broadband deca plugs into one of the ports on my bridge, and my HR24 can talk to the internet without having to have more cables ran and holes drilled in my walls since my networking gear is all located in my office.

I just had this setup put in today and thus far it works fine. My installer forgot to bring me a deca for my HR23, so I'm waiting till tomorrow for that, but he saw my bridge and asked if he could use that for the broadband deca, and I give him kudos for that. I don't think he fully got the concept of what the bridge was, but it got the network online with no drilling or excessive cable runs, nonetheless.

8. Feb 8, 2011 #8 of 21
    leeliam

leeliam Mentor

Aug 2, 2010
    Just tried the homeplugs with a BB DECA today and it works beautifully. An amazing home that I would have had to somehow do a two story fish or ceiling fish in the basement to get to his router. Popped in two homeplugs and it worked.

9. Feb 8, 2011 #9 of 21
    HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
  10. satking

satking Cool Member

Oct 20, 2009
    I've been searching but cannot find an answer to my problem connecting my Hd-dvr to my wireless network.

My setup:

1. I have 2 HR24s (bedroom and living room) with whole home dvr service. I have a second unused cable run from my dish to the living room.

2. I have comcast internet in my office (3rd room) connected to a dlink dir-601 wireless router. There is no chance running a cable run from office to either room. I also could not get the installer to run a line from the dish to the office(if that was needed)

I purchased a Dlink 1522 wireless bridge. I thought I should connect the bridge directly to the HR24 but i am unable to play any recorded programs and the screen goes blank. I know that the bridge works because I had connected a blueray player to it to test and it worked fine.

I have the Home media kit deca broadband adapter from DTV. I don't see where it comes into play. I cannot find any description on how to set my system for internet along with whole home service or pictures showing the connections that must be made.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

11. Tech_1438

Tech_1438 Legend

Jun 1, 2008
    If you are confident the unused cable in the living room is connected to the SWM splitter, then this is where the DECA BB would be connected. Cable to the DECA BB, ethernet from DECA BB to your new wireless bridge.

Good Luck!!

12. Jodean

Jodean Icon

Jul 17, 2010
    i dont know who confused the homeplug and MRV thing....... thats only with mrv over cat 5 cables, not MRV over rg6 with swm.

Mrv probrably wont work with a legacy setup and cat 5 with a router and a homeplug.....but thats just common sense

13. dsw2112

dsw2112 Always Searching

Jun 12, 2009
    The homeplug was referred to as the "path" to the router, and would not contain MRV traffic. For those wanting DOD, TvApps, MediaShare, etc there needs to be a connection to the router. That connection can be ethernet, wireless, homeplug, etc.

14. cabletech

cabletech Legend

Jan 20, 2011
    ok now I am confused, did I miss some thing some where? I have been at this for years and the last few posts have indicated "home plug". Some one please define what a 'HOME PLUG" is. Thank you.

15. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    Powerline adapters.
    [​IMG]

16. cabletech

cabletech Legend

Jan 20, 2011
    Thanks VOS

17. satking

satking Cool Member

Oct 20, 2009
    Thanks, It worked like a charm.

I had the second line due to my Tivo unit but I told the installer to leave it when they installed the whole home setup. I use the second line on sundays and bring a second tv and receiver into the living room to watch NFL sunday ticket games.

Again thanks

18. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    If you don't want to have to unhook and reconnect the Broadband DECA everytime you do that, you can look at just adding a 2-way splitter to that cable. One output would go to the Broadband DECA while the other would go to your additional receiver. When not connected, just make sure to terminate the open output on the splitter.

- Merg

19. satking

satking Cool Member

Oct 20, 2009
    Since the football season is over, I will pick up the splitter later. I may even have one laying around somewhere.

Thanks, I had not considered adding a splitter.

20. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    If you get a splitter, make sure it is a green-label splitter so that it will be able to handle the appropriate frequencies for SWM and DECA.

- Merg