1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brokeback causes problems for prison official

Discussion in 'The OT' started by missileman, Apr 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Apr 9, 2006 #1 of 43
    missileman

missileman Legend/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

May 28, 2004
  2. Apr 9, 2006 #2 of 43
    Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    ...because forcing convicts to watch old black and white reruns would constitute cruel and unusual punishment.

:rolleyes:

3. Apr 9, 2006 #3 of 43
    wisdom

wisdom Legend

Nov 13, 2005
    But I thought it was ok to be gay in Mass.? We can't have the prisoners consummating the homosexual lifestyle...unless their married???

4. Apr 9, 2006 #4 of 43
    DonLandis

DonLandis Hall Of Fame

Dec 17, 2003
    "Based on Annie Proulx's short story, "Brokeback Mountain" is about two men who meet and fall in love while wrangling sheep in Wyoming in 1963. It won raves from critics and garnered three Oscars last month, including one for director Ang Lee."

It's cool to make movies that promote gay lifestyle these days, so Hollyweird thinks. It probably is a sure fire way to win awards. What will it be next year? I know, How about promoting Junior highschool school teachers having sex with 12 year old boys and the story where we are made to feel sorry for the teacher. And the winner goes to the film where a male homosexual teacher has sex with a male 12 year old. Is Hollyweird ready for the same setting showing female Lesbian teachers having sex with 12 year old girls?
    I'm sure somewhere, a Hollyweird Producer / writer is working on this for their next propaganda film to reshape the thinking in America to convince the world that all these forms of unacceptable behaviors are OK and natural and should not be against the Law. Afterall they have already succeded in brainwashing society in thinking that homosexual man (and woman) is a natural way to procreate our species.

Just to be clear- I have no problem with two consenting adult males wanting to be together but I haven't been convinced that promoting this sort of what I believe is unnatural activity, won't, in a few generations, put the human species on the "endangered species list" :D

When I watched Brokeback Mountain I saw it with the same frame of mind I would watching a movie about couple of selfcentered guys who don't care who they hurt and are in dire need of professional help. I know others saw it as a sweet love story and felt sorry for them because they could not be together. If they wanted to, they would have but the problem was they were just two mixed up guys with no concern for anyone else but themselves.

5. Apr 9, 2006 #5 of 43
    dlhuse

dlhuse Mentor

Apr 2, 2006
    Don,

Why is it that any movie that does not portray a gay man as a lisping, prancing, limp-wristed hairdresser is promoting homosexuality. Where in the movie Brokeback Mountain did ANYONE proclaim the benefits of being gay? To say that it promoted homosexuality is like saying that Ocean’s Eleven promoted grand theft, or Memories of a Geisha promotes prostitution.

You continued to imply that most child molesters are homosexual while it is a fact that the vast majority are heterosexual. Take a look at your local sex offender list there in Florida. And by the way the teacher that had sex with the underage student was a heterosexual WOMAN, where exactly did gay come into this?

As for unacceptable behavior, just when did we, as a nation, stop prosecuting adultery? That seems to have become an acceptable behavior, especially among heterosexuals! I also wonder how many gay deadbeat dads there are?? We seem to tolerate heterosexual men who go about spreading their seed and not living up to their responsibility. Talk about being self centered…..(from your post). Remember, less than .001% of abortions were caused by a gay man.

Finally, if you really believe that making gay marriage legal will cause huge numbers of folks to become homosexual,thereby making the human race an endangered species, then you are so unaware of human sexuality it's almost funny. First and foremost being gay is NOT A CHOICE. Did you wake up at the age of 15 and decide that you liked girls more than boys? NO, it’s just the way you were wired from birth.

6. Apr 9, 2006 #6 of 43
    Geronimo

Geronimo Native American Potentate DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 23, 2002
    Like it or not a lot of jurisdictions show prisoners event films. In this case the film was out on DVD. The film was inappropriate. The sex scenes violated certain standards and if I read the article correctly it was not previewed and the corrections officer responsible is being disciplined.

He or she should be. The film was inappropriate for this. But I don't care how many movies about gay cowboys or gay plumbers Hollywood makes. I don't buy the idea that anyone became gay because the acting was so good.

7. Apr 9, 2006 #7 of 43
    jonstad

jonstad Hall Of Fame

Jun 27, 2002
    It was on DVD!
    Did you even bother to read your own link???

The only judgement in question here is how many of the inmates really wanted to see the movie? I sure don't. It will be a cold, rainy night on MY mountain, completely bored out of my skull, and nothing on 200 other channels, before I might consider watching it just out of curiosity about what all the buzz was about. I just have no interest and haven't since I first heard the premise. Cowboys hold no particular interest for me, nor does homosexuality, particularly amongst cowboys! Not that there's anything wrong with that!:sure:

Television and movies tend to focus on the unusual. Not many of us would pay $9 to sit through someone's home movies of their family trip to Disneyland or kid's birthday party, no matter how expertly edited. Nor would Jerry Springer or Oprah be on the air very long if they concentrated exclusively on well adjusted, happy, content families and individuals. Our lives are mudane. If mundane was entertaining, there'd be no need for television or movies!

Entertainment companies tend to focus on what they perceive as "HOT!" Passion of the Christ was a surprise hit and so you can bet there are more Biblical costume dramas in the works. Likewise, Brokeback Mountain was a low budget independent film that made lots of MONEY!!! So don't be surprised if the idea of unlikely homosexual pairings gets beaten to death by Hollywood also.

This is all cyclical. For awhile it was big action flicks. Star Wars opened the floodgates for science fiction space adventures. Now, cartoon superheros seem to be de rigueur. But eventually we tire of bloody Bruce Willises, exploding Death Stars and fingernails that turn into meat slicers, and Hollywood has to find something new to pique our interest and fill the seats.

Television and Hollywood have no particular agenda except to make money. And whatever makes money they will feed us ad nauseum until it stops making money. At which point they move on to the next thing that shocks or fascinates us.

8. Apr 9, 2006 #8 of 43
    wisdom

wisdom Legend

Nov 13, 2005

I suppose no one ever became violent because of a movie or a heavy metal song either. And despite what DL says, being gay IS a choice. The only reason there are as many gays in this world now is because choosing that lifestyle is becoming more commonplace. If it became fashionable to wear a phallic on ones forehead, more people would choose to wear one, but it wouldn't be any less perverse. There is no biological reason for homosexual behavior to exist. Even the usual given examples of homosexuality in other animals is primarily used for domination, not for sexual gratification. Just as it is in prison, which is why this movie isn't being shown there.

9. Apr 9, 2006 #9 of 43
    wisdom

wisdom Legend

Nov 13, 2005
    Did you watch the Oscars, pure leftwing bullsh*t. Brokeback barely made any money nor was it even remotely good, but look at the commotion it made in Hollywood. They were treating it like the Gone with the Wind for the perverted elitists.

10. Slamminc11

Slamminc11 Hall Of Fame

Jan 27, 2005
    Prove it is only a choice? Because the bible says so? That's not proof. Because you aren't? That's not proof. Because you don't know anyone that is? That's not proof. You state that it IS a choice, show me proof it is.

Pretty definite statement. Proof again? Yeah, didn't think so. I would contend that it's not that there are more, it is that there are more willing to stand up and say they are because the "stigma" is different that in the '80's, 70's, 60's...It is less likely that they will be beaten or even killed now than then, though unfortunately that still isn't necessarily true.

11. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    Prisoner to cellmate: "Hey, Bubba, you know when a man is near another man, and there are no sheep around?"

:lol:

12. dlhuse

dlhuse Mentor

Apr 2, 2006

Wisdom... Just as I asked in the post to DonLandis,....just when did you DECIDE to CHOOSE to be straight? Can you name that day, month, year? You were just sitting around, probably in your bedroom and said "Hmmmm.. I think I'll be straight. You decide which car to buy, what to have for dinner, where to live. But the physical anatomy that gets you excited is not a choice, unless you have repressed tendancies you don't want to share with the rest of us....:eek2:

As for "no biological reason for homosexual behavior to exist" much the same can be said about the appendix, but folks are born with them everyday!!!

13. wisdom

wisdom Legend

Nov 13, 2005
    It's very simple if you look past all of the gay propaganda. What makes a person where leather and whip each other? I suppose there is a genetic disposition to become excited by sadomasochism? Some people are only sexually excited by midgets, is that genetic? Perhaps it's not a choice, perhaps its a mental disorder, whatever the case there is NO genetic cause. People can force themselves to do anything if they want that. There are people who choose to be singers even thought they have no talent, Jewel comes to mind. But by surrounding themselves with people who make similar beliefs, they can convince themselves of it. There aren't any straight pride parades, but there are white pride, black pride, anarchist, antiwar and gay pride parades. Were not talking about the Bible or the Koran or the Torah or anything Marx wrote, I didn't bring it up. And frankly, I don't care what they say about the subject. But please don't dilute yourself into thinking that being gay is anything but a choice.

14. wisdom

wisdom Legend

Nov 13, 2005
    This has to be the most idiotic argument I have ever read. Of course I didn't choose to be straight, that is what I'm designed for. If there is no God and we are here to only continue the human species and evolve, then gays serve no purpose. And if that is the case, nature should have eliminated them thousands of years ago.

15. Geronimo

Geronimo Native American Potentate DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 23, 2002

Did you actually read the post you replied to? I suspect not. I indicated that it was inappropriate for the audience and that the officail responsible for it was rightly chastised. The comment you extracted out of context was a response to an earlier argument about humanity being on the endangered species list.

i stand by my comment.

16. wisdom

wisdom Legend

Nov 13, 2005
    I disagreed with what you said below.

I read this to mean that you don't believe that people can be influenced by media. Did I read it wrong?

17. Slamminc11

Slamminc11 Hall Of Fame

Jan 27, 2005
    Sounds to me like you just said that because some people can't procreate, they have no purpose on earth and should have been or should be now eliminated. So going along that thought line, along with gays you are also going to have to include any male that shots blanks, has a vasectomy, or has chosen celibacy (there went the Catholic Church, including the Pope), women who can't give birth, who also chose celibacy. Pretty bold statement. I'm starting to think that your moniker is a bit incorrect! Apparently according to your statement, it is your "CHOICE" to exterminate 15%-25% of the worlds population.

18. wisdom

wisdom Legend

Nov 13, 2005
    Frankly, I don't care what you think. The pope, Catholics and vasectomies can procreate but they chose/choose not to. Again a choice was made. Now, in regards to the women who can't give birth and men who shoot blanks, I saw a 6 legged dog on the news last week. If evolution is true then there has to be some "removal" of genes from the gene pool. Some of these situations are anomalies, some are man made (mother using drugs, etc) and some are simply because more children are given the chance to life because of prenatal and postnatal support, which wouldn't have happened in the past. Somehow you jumped to the conclusion that because I think gays choose to be gay, that I want to "exterminate" 25% of the population. There is no truth in that at all. I don't care to take this debate down that road, thank you.

19. DonLandis

DonLandis Hall Of Fame

Dec 17, 2003
    I have no clue what you are talking about- I was commenting on the pattern of winning an Oscar these days based on a movie that deals with the latest popular social patterns supported by the elitists in Hollyweird. Are you part of that Hollyweird crowd? If so then you have every right to be upset with my pointing out the obvious. I don't think you are.

But to try to make some sense out of what you stated even though these answers have absolutely nothing to do with the point of my post-
    No, I have no idea how many doctors who perform abortions are gay. I have no idea how many gay men commit adultery on their chosen gay mates. I believe "I woke up" at age 6 and decided I liked girls, especially one in first grade. :) I have no idea when if ever we stopped prosecuting adultery. I think that is only a matter for consideration in divorce court anyway. In the circles I travel, adultery is not acceptable behavior for heterosexual males. I don't know what circles you travel but they are obviously different. Where did I imply that child molesters are homosexual? Maybe it was my speculation that if one made a movie that took the side of these recent school teachers who have molested, had sexual relations with their students the movie would stand an excellent chance of winning an Oscar especially if they combined themes with the homosexual theme that is already known to receive favorable advantage in an Oscar nomination. because it would be another pity movie of some sexual deviant behavior.
    You have a wild imagination, I believe based on a delusional self pity defensive mode. You need to go back and read what I posted. It had nothing to do with the claims you say I made. It had to do with what themes wins Oscars. You have a right to disagree with my opinion on the Oscars but don't try to make stuff claiming I said it when I didn't.

20. dlhuse

dlhuse Mentor

Apr 2, 2006
    If you didn't CHOOSE to be straight, what makes you think gay folks made a choice to be gay. They too were designed that way. You have nothing to prove that is wrong, not even experience. I can tell you, as a gay man, I never decided on a sexual "preference" (not a preference, but a fact of life).

Now you are a genetics authority?? Seems the REAL ones haven't even determined whether or not there is a genetic cause or not. You obviously missed the 60 Minutes last month that showed a predisposition to being gay the more older brothers you have. As for doing anything, I tell you what, I'll "do" a woman you "do" a guy and compare the results, I'll bet you neither one of us could rise to the occasion.

As for parades, it is to show a sense of PRIDE after being shunned, dismissed and shamed by folks in our jobs, churches, community and families.

BTW, I will again ask you about the appendix that serves no purpose, yet still exists......

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.