1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Broken HR21, how to transfer recordings/series manager?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by BlackDynamite, Mar 14, 2013.

1. BlackDynamite

BlackDynamite Legend

Jun 5, 2007
    So the card reader has apparently gone bad on my old HR21. It just keeps telling me to insert my card, or insert a valid card.

I called Directv and they had me try a few things (reset with the card in, reset with the card out, try a card from a different receiver, etc). They came to the conclusion the card reader in the receiver is bad, and they're sending a replacement.

I can get it to work sometimes, but it's not very consistent.

I have a whole home dvr setup, with several other dvr units.

Provided I can get this thing to vibe on for a bit, is there any way to transfer the recordings that are currently on this HR21 to one of my HR24s or my Genie that are all on the same whole home dvr system? And is there a way to transfer all of my shows from the series manager to one of those other receivers so they will record the future shows?

If not, hire can I set it to record a series that is not yet in the guide?

For example, I currently record all the new episodes of that Newsroom show on hbo, new showings only, and a limit of 5. How can I set this on another receiver without it being listed in the guide yet?

2. Diana C

Diana C Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Mar 30, 2007
    New Jersey
    The bad news: You can't transfer the recordings to a different DVR. This was the one advantage to the way the DirecTiVos did MRV (they transfered the recording to the local DVR for playback).

The good news: You can use the Genie's "very far in the future" recording feature. Just do a search for "Newsroom" and one of the returned matches will be the "show". Select it and you can create a season pass for it. This feature is also coming to the HR2x units, but you may not have that version of the software yet (I'm still waiting for it).

3. dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    No way to transfer recordings. Next time it's up and running, jot down the series links and set them in another DVR.

4. BlackDynamite

BlackDynamite Legend

Jun 5, 2007
    What if I pull the hard drive out? Could I connect it to an external reader and copy the important contents to the hard drive of another unit?

What if I swapped the drives altogether? Would that work? I have no problem swapping the drives between the broken unit and the replacement unit before I send it back.

5. longrider

longrider Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Apr 21, 2007
    Elizabeth, CO
    Sorry, the actual recordings are locked to the DVR. There are procedures to copy to another hard drive but that drive has to go back in the original DVR.

6. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Recordings are still tied to the original receiver. If you had everything on an external drive, the series links would work on the new box, but recordings would be unplayable. You are not able to open the box up, DirecTV doesn't allow that on a leased box.

7. BlackDynamite

BlackDynamite Legend

Jun 5, 2007
    I honestly don't care if dtv allows it or not. I just don't want to lose all the stuff sitting on that dvr.

This seems like a major problem that dtv should fix with a software update. I can understand locking a recording to someone's account so they can't send it all over the net, but holy cow, I should be able to transfer the contents of a dead receiver to the replacement receiver (or any other receiver on my account).

Is there some kind of "underground" way to do it since I don't care if dtv doesn't officially allow it?

8. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    This procedure works as long as the copied hard drive goes back to the same DVR. like for example upgrading the internal HDD to a bigger internal or external HDD on the SAME DVR

9. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    I thought the card is married to the receiver.
    Does the receiver you took a card from and put it back into still work ?
    Thanks

10. RunnerFL

RunnerFL Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2006
    The unfortunate truth is that you won't be able to get around that. Even if you did copy the recordings off they are encrypted to the DVR that recorded them and will not play on any other.

No, there is not.

11. BlackDynamite

BlackDynamite Legend

Jun 5, 2007
    Yes it still works. I thought the same thing so I checked that other receiver while I still had the dtv guy on the phone.

12. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    An access card from another receiver won't work for very long, but it will work long enough to test the hardware.

13. BlackDynamite

BlackDynamite Legend

Jun 5, 2007
    How hard would it be for me to swap the card readers on the broken and replacement receiver? If swapping the hard drive won't work maybe I can just swap the actual broken part and then send the replacement receiver back to dtv?

It's probably not going to be feasible, but I'm getting desperate so I figured I'd ask.

14. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    This is something we've wanted for years, especially now that the a genie allows extremely large drives.

15. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    I have a few broken HR2x with good SC reader slot. PM if you interesting.

16. BlackDynamite

BlackDynamite Legend

Jun 5, 2007
    Is this actually something I can change or is it soldered into a circuit board or something?

I'm not at home right now so I can't go open the broken unit up to see what's inside. If this is a modular design and I can just replace the broken card reader then I'll definitely give that a shot instead of just losing all of my recordings and series links.

17. RunnerFL

Jan 4, 2006
    It's soldered to the motherboard.

18. lugnutathome

lugnutathome Hall Of Fame

Apr 13, 2009
    Woodburn, OR
    when ordering a drive expansion from weaknees.com they provide a copy service. Only place I've ever seen this stated and have no idea if it's just SLs.

http://www.weaknees.com/directv-hd-dvr-upgrade.php

Don "not sure how they get away with cracking the units open either" Bolton

19. RunnerFL

Jan 4, 2006
    Yeah, but that's from the DVR back to the same DVR. They are just copying the contents from the old drive to the expansion drive and putting the expansion drive back in the same DVR. That's not difficult to do.

20. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    We could arrange any of your request.