1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Browser Wars Revisited

Discussion in 'Tech Talk - Gadgets, Gizmos and Technology' started by SayWhat?, Apr 24, 2011.

1. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    I've always been staunchly anti-IE. Partially because of the risks it posed, both actual and perceived. Also, it seemed to lag far behind others in usability as far tabs and customization ability. IE through 6 and 7 was inherently buggy and unstable in the eyes of many. Much of my objection was just anti-M$. I went on a huge anti-M$ binge when the horror known as Vista infested PCs, but they seem to have redeemed themselves with Win7 and M$IE AntiVirus. I still don't like their tricks with TrialWare like M$Office, but at least I can get around that and use OpenOffice or the successor apparent, LibreOffice.

To me, Netscape/Mozilla/SeaMonkey and Opera were far and away better on every point.

Others swore by FireFox, Chrome and a host of others.

Some preferred IE add-ons like Maxthon or MyIE2.

Yet, there are infinite websites that cater to IE specific code and don't display pages properly or run scripts effectively on anything other than IE. I consider those webmasters incompetent, but they are what they are and nobody will ever be able to convince them to code pages properly to accepted standards.

So, where are we with IE8 and 9?

Can toolbars and menus be customized? Can images be selectively blocked? Has IE caught up to the others in the ways that drove most people to the others? Are there user created add-ons, extensions, plug-ins and themes available as there are in Mozilla products? What about pop-up and cookie management?

In short, is it safe to go back to IE?

2. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    What is IE? :)

3. Richard

Richard Legend

Apr 23, 2002
    South Texas
    <deleted> forgot I never respond to someone so immature to use $ when referring to Microsoft. Not feeding the Troll here.

4. Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    I've used IE since the day it was released. I still use it as my primary browser today.

However, I have Firefox and Safari on most of my systems. chrome I have on my netbook.

To me the Browser wars are dumb. They are all free. Some sites work better with one, over another. Like Safari with Apple's site.

I am still a bit to IE since Microsoft legally licensed Mosaic, from The University of Illinois. Where Netscape, didn't. That was a browser war. Today's "battle" is nothing more then bragging rights and who gets to drive the next generation of the markup language and add ons.

5. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Well, you did respond!

And what's wrong with a $ when referring to one of the more rapacious companies in history?

6. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    But nobody's answered the questions yet.

7. djlong

djlong Hall Of Fame

Jul 8, 2002
    New Hampshire
    Usually it means someone is a big fan of Apple who is just as rapacious, if not moresoe, but are only limited by their market share in certain areas. I mean, come on, you have to buy apps for their phone through THEIR store?

And by no means am I singling Apple out.

Being a software developer, I see this kind of behavior all the time in more places than I can count.

8. tcusta00

tcusta00 Active Member

Dec 31, 2007
    There's a delete post button, too.

9. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    Home Run post. :up:

10. Earl Bonovich

Nov 15, 2005
    I thought I did?

I personally use IE all day long... even with the concerns peole have for it.
    IE 9 and it's tabs are just like any of the other browsers now.

The plug-in/startup manager works great on it... and it help me eliminate a spyware/virus that attched itself to my wife's WIN7 system, that none of the other programs got rid of.

In what 15+ years now... I have maybe been hit with a dozen cases of spyware and other things... which is just going to happen with the amount of time I spend on the computer... and probably half of them had nothing to do with IE. I have never had any of my data compromised.

Posted From: IE9 Win7

11. Earl Bonovich

Nov 15, 2005
    You nixed one line :)

12. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    Just kept the highlight reel... :D

Your whole post was great.

13. tenholde

tenholde Mentor

Aug 17, 2007
    The answer is YES.

tenholde

14. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Choosing a browser is like choosing a television provider. One has to shop and compare and then select the one that will fulfill your needs. As to your question in my opinion the answer is yes, it's safe to use Internet Explorer.

15. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Youngsville NC
    IMO - a web browser is a web browser today. Personally, I usually use Firefox (there are some addons that I use), but I don't delete IE (currently version 8 on my XP machine) just for Microsoft updates and if I run into a site that doesn't work under Firefox. I also have Opera loaded - a bit different feel, but generally just as functional. At work - it's IE and Firefox both at the sametime.

16. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    What about saving sessions or re-opening closed tabs?

Is email integrated or do you still need Outlook?

17. Mikej0530

Mikej0530 Cool Member

Dec 23, 2008
    I hated every version of IE. They where all slow. That was my biggest concern. I hate a browser that slows me down. Then 9.0 came out and I love it. Its fast and its ease of use is really nice.

18. Earl Bonovich

Nov 15, 2005
    Except... none of them cost you any money.

Even though you can have all TV Providers installed at the same time, it would be very costly. Not so with browsers... you can use which ever one you want, and more then one at once...

I do that often... Throw my streaming audio into Safari, so links that i click on don't turn off the radio.

19. Earl Bonovich

Nov 15, 2005
    If you are using a non-web based email system... then yes, you still need Outlook if you are using IE.

But in many cases, the Web offering of many ISPs are very good.
    Smartermail for example.

Re-Opening a closed tab?

20. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    It's probably been safe to go back to IE since IE7 .. IE8 improved beyond that and now IE9 is even better. As Earl said, the browser wars are stupid. Generally pick one that works for you and go for it. It's not like you're going to be missing out on much.

I pretty much use Firefox exclusively. I've dabbled with Chrome and there is actually one site I visit that works great in Chrome but sucks in both Firefox and IE. There used to be a number of sites that were coded specifically for IE6, but those have decreased dramatically.

Best motto .. if it ain't broke .. don't fix it.