1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BSS Primer?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by wilbur_the_goose, Feb 15, 2010.

1. wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose Hall Of Fame

Aug 16, 2006
    Hi - could somebody point me to information on the BSSs on D12? Thanks!

(what do they do, what's the advantage for D* and us?, etc.)

2. jodyguercio

jodyguercio Active Member

Aug 16, 2007
  3. LameLefty

LameLefty I used to be a rocket scientist

Sep 28, 2006
    Middle...
    Advantage for Directv is (eventually) another frequency band to use for more channel capacity. For us, right now, there is no advantage. It is not known (publicly) how the BSS frequencies will be fit into the existing stack plan and/or if they might require an SWiM-based system or newer/different receivers to handle. Furthermore, the ITU has granted BSS frequency allotments to more than one country and those have to be coordinated among the national regulatory bodies and the various corporate interests involved.

The short answer is: the BSS payload on Directv 12 is helpful to them from a technical, "proving ground" kind of standpoint, with the realization that it's more or less irrelevant to the vast majority of subscribers at this point. :)

4. jodyguercio

jodyguercio Active Member

Aug 16, 2007
    An example of some of that "light" reading I was talking about. Thanks Lefty. :lol:

5. kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte Active Member

Dec 19, 2006
    Outside...
    I thought part of the initial BSS plan had something to do with Alaska? Maybe I'm remembering wrong?

6. LameLefty

LameLefty I used to be a rocket scientist

Sep 28, 2006
    Middle...
    I think one of the four BSS spots is aimed at Alaska, but I would have to dig out the FCC filings to be certain if my memory is correct or not. :grin: If that's correct, it makes sense to use this initial BSS capacity for something like Alaska service - it's a nice, specific area where any special equipment needs (dish/LNB, multiswitches, receivers) can be worked out regarding how best to incorporate BSS programming without impact to the mainstream Directv equipment/distribution chain.

7. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    I'm still trying to get a handle not on the SAT frequencies, but where the dish to receiver frequencies have the space. The four cables now are fairly full, though we're seeing Ka-hi band's IF being not used out west here. Maybe the 1650-2150 is being freed up for the BSS LNB to use it. :shrug:

8. longrider

longrider Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Apr 21, 2007
    Elizabeth, CO
    I am really thinking that as the SWMLNB will cover 95% of residential installs and I would guess 50% of non MDU or sports bar commercial installs they could go to a 6 cable system for the remaining installs which would feed a SWM8/16/32

9. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Reversed BSS, right ?

10. cartrivision

cartrivision Hall Of Fame

Jul 25, 2007
    Lots of spot beam pattern info in this thread (not only RB-2A spot info):
    http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?p=2229401

Also, on page one of this document:
    http://licensing.fcc.gov/myibfs/download.do?attachment_key=727195
    it implies that the grant of the BSS licenses by the FCC are conditioned upon rules that require providing service to Alaska and Hawaii.