BTN2GO login problem

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Tips and Resources' started by makaiguy, Feb 10, 2012.

1. makaiguy

makaiguy Icon

Sep 24, 2007
    Aiken, SC
    I posted this in the DirecTV forums, but figure I've got a better chance of getting a useful answer here.

I have no problem accessing BTN2GO via my home desktop computer, but I have little use for this at home since I can access Big Ten Network via DIRECTV. I've had no success accessing BTN2GO via my laptop, even when at home, however. I am using Firefox as my browser on both computers.

When I attempt it on the laptop, I get a popup window with quick display of "Loading:" plus a notice that Flash is required (one second or less), followed by "Authorizing", followed by the logos of the available BTN2GO providers (Verizon, DirecTV, etc.) from which I am to choose my service. When I click on the DIRECTV logo, I immediately receive an "Authorization Failed: Internal Error" message.

I contacted BTN2GO who suggested clearing my cache and cookies and trying again, but it has made no difference. They also said they do not control the btn2go.com login page as it is controlled by my provider, in this case, DirecTV.

I have uninstalled Flash, downloaded and installed a new copy of the current Flash version (11.1.102.55). I've cleared my cache and deleted any cookie that mentions "btn" or "btn2go". I have made sure that Flash, Javascript and even Java and Silverlight are enabled in my browser. But I always get that same "Authorization Failed: Internal Error" message.

Where do I go from here?

2. makaiguy

makaiguy Icon

Sep 24, 2007
    Aiken, SC
    Revisiting this issue.

Have tried logging into btn2go with IE (which I never use as I'm a Firefox guy) and get the same exact response. The error message crops up instantly when I click the DirecTV logo and I never even see the DirecTV authentication screen where I am to enter my DTV account particulars, so I think the problem occurs in the basic script and has nothing to do with DirecTV's end of things

Since Firefox and IE each maintain separate caches and cookies, and IE uses a different ActiveX based version of Flash than does Firefox, my earlier attempts with Firefox should not have colored the IE attempts at all.

I've also tried with both browsers while connected to my LAN via ethernet rather than wireless with the same results. Throughout all this, my ethernet-connected desktop computer logs in without difficulty.

I'm out of ideas. Anybody got any suggestions?

3. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    Different versions of Windows, Internet Explorer, or Firefox on the laptop compared to the desktop?

4. makaiguy

makaiguy Icon

Sep 24, 2007
    Aiken, SC
    Thanks for the reply. Thought I was just talking to myself here.

Desktop - Where I can log into BTN2GO without a hitch:
    Win 7 Home 64 bit
    Firefox, now updated to 10.0.2
    IE 9
    Flash 11.1.102.55 (both IE/Active-X and non-IE/Active-X versions)

Laptop - the one with the problem:
    Wix XP, SP3
    Firefox, now updated to 10.0.2
    IE still on IE8, since I seldom use it, haven't updated
    Flash 11.1.102.55 (both IE/Active-X and non-IE/Active-X versions)

I don't think the IE version difference is significant, as the identical Firefox version on both systems works on one but not the other. The fact that neither Firefox nor IE works on the laptop seems to point to some setting on the laptop, but I haven't been able to find it.

On the desktop, where I can log in without difficulty, when I click the DirecTV logo on the BTN2GO authentication page, there is a slight delay while the window text changes to something like "Please wait while we connect you to your provider to log in" (or words to that effect - it goes by very quickly) then the DirecTV login form comes up on the screen. I fill in my DirecTV account particulars and I log in without problem.

On the laptop where I cannot log in, the error crops up INSTANTLY upon clicking the DirecTV logo on the BTN2GO authentication page. The "Please wait..." text does not appear and it immediately displays "Authorization Failed: Internal Error" and I never see the DirecTV login form.

5. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    I'm not sure, just something I figured to check. It's always a good idea to make sure you're running the latest versions of everything when you start having issues like this. As far as I know IE8 is as high as you can go on XP though, I think IE9 is Windows 7 only.

My guess is that you aren't getting as much of a response in here because this section doesn't get as much traffic. Your question would probably be better off in the Connected Home section.

http://www.dbstalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=137

Maybe you should PM a moderator and ask them to move it.

6. makaiguy

makaiguy Icon

Sep 24, 2007
    Aiken, SC
    Your reply prompted me to take this back to the btn2go folks. This time they told me to be sure my Flash was set to allow Flash to save stuff to my computer. It was already set that way, but ..

I reviewed the saved Flash data and didn't see any I recognized as relating to btn2go, but I went ahead and deleted all of it. When I then loaded Firefox and tried to log in to btn2go, everything progressed as it should.

The two items now listed as saved in Flash are:
    Code:
    Website                    Storage Used    Storage Access
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    entitlement.auth.adobe.com         0 kB             Allow
    vo.llnwd.net                    0 bytes             Allow
    I suspect the second one is probably the key.