1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bucs/Colts Starting Late!

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by mluntz, Oct 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oct 8, 2007 #1 of 10
    mluntz

mluntz Icon

Jul 13, 2006
    The game was scheduled to start at 4:05. I set the DVR and was good to go. I get home from work, sit down to relax and watch the game. Low and behold, I'm stuck with watching the last 8:00 of the Cardinals game. Finally, my game starts with only 2:02 left in the first quarter! Sucks!

I understand that the networks can extend the game if they choose, but isn't there any other options as far as us ST subs who pay a lot of money to see a game in it's entirety

For instance, when the games run over, 60 Minutes and all the network shows run in their entirety. I know this is a problem for DVR users, but we deal with this every Sunday anyway.

Could D* possibly move the game to a different channel, although another fiasco for people recording the game?

Could D* possibly come up with an option of asking us for our favorite team, assuring us that our game will be aired on time?

Almost $400 for football, and I was pissed, but I got over it. Fortunately the outcome was favorable!

Thanks for letting me vent!

2. Oct 8, 2007 #2 of 10
    jwd45244

jwd45244 Hall Of Fame

Aug 18, 2006
    There was a scroll across the screen that the SD broadcast had started and was available on 713. It also said that it was going to join the HD version ac the conclusion of the previous game. That is the risk with a late game.

3. Oct 8, 2007 #3 of 10
    jhillestad

jhillestad Godfather

Jan 13, 2007
    Direct all your DTV concerns to APHOWARD he is some DTV employee that trolls these boards...

4. Oct 8, 2007 #4 of 10
    rynberg

rynberg Legend

Oct 6, 2006
    Yes, D*TV doesn't have the bandwidth to show all of the HD games simultaneously now that CBS is doing more HD games. So you end up with this kind of crap happening on a few channels. I was unhappy with missing most of the first quarter too. It would help if Fox didn't have a fricking two-minute commercial break EVERY change of possession. Even SNF and MNF don't do that.

5. Oct 8, 2007 #5 of 10
    LameLefty

LameLefty I used to be a rocket scientist

Sep 28, 2006
    Middle...
    Yeah, that sucked. One of the many reasons why the switchover to MPEG4 cannot come fast enough for me. Next year that shouldn't happen.

6. Oct 8, 2007 #6 of 10
    HouseBowlrz

HouseBowlrz Godfather

Jul 15, 2007
    Centreville, VA
    I had asked about this very scenario two months ago ... this is the response I got on 18 August 2007:

Thanks for writing us back in regards to the NFL Sunday Ticket HD lineup. I am happy to assist you today. Channels 728-729 will not be operational during the day on Sunday in order to conserve bandwidth. I understand your concerns about us broadcasting 12 HD games while we have only dedicated 9 channels. In most cases, the games will start at various times during the day to allow us to run two games on one channel at different times of the day. In rare cases when games overlap, they will be assigned to different predetermined channels. You can view a list of the NFL Sunday Ticket lineup by visiting us at directv.com/nfl, or tune to channel 699 for the weekly lineup.

Again, thanks for writing and I hope this information is helpful.

Sincerely,

Anthony S.
    Uxxxx
    DIRECTV Customer Service

I was at the Redskins game yesterday so I was not witness to any issues. From what I'm reading on these (and other) forums, it sounds like they did not take care of business.

cheers

7. Oct 8, 2007 #7 of 10
    wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose Hall Of Fame

Aug 16, 2006
    They obviously knew about it. The guy on Red Zone HD said that 718 was the only place to see the Colts in HD till the early game ended.

8. Oct 8, 2007 #8 of 10
    gusmahler

gusmahler Legend

Aug 1, 2006
    The scroll is pretty useless when you're recording the game, like OP did. Same thing happened last week with PIT/ARI. Luckily, only missed a few plays before the early game ended.

I can understand that they only have 719-726 reserved for HD games. And they don't want to ruin anyone's recording by completely moving the Colts game to another channel . But the solution is really simple--show the game in HD on another channel temporarily. Surely, one of the games on channels 722-726 was finished by 4:05 (they couldn't move to 719 or 720 because of a scheduled afternoon game). Why not just temorarily show the game on, e.g., 726, until the scheduled channel is free? When the early game on 721 is over, they simulcast on both channels until the first commercial break, when they put on a scroll saying that the game will be switching to 721.

9. Oct 8, 2007 #9 of 10
    aphoward

aphoward Legend

Sep 8, 2006
    I'm definitely not a D* employee, because if I was I sure wouldn't spend free time reading about it online, lol.

I'm just someone who has a lot of business experience and find the ability to understand why certain decisions are made. Unfortunately other people can't figure these things out, even when it's spelled out for them.

10. mluntz

mluntz Icon

Jul 13, 2006
    I appreciate all the comments. It's really a moot point anyway due to the fact that I don't get home from work until about 5:00 anyway, so there's nothing I can do.

The networks are going to do what they want anyway.

I guess if I lived in Indy, I wouldn't have this problem.

Hopefully soon D* will have enough bandwith to show every game on it's own dedicated channel for all the $$$ we all pay!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.