1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bug Report L180: Timer Management Action Order

Discussion in 'Other HD Receiver Support Forum (811, 921, 942)' started by Cheezmo, May 11, 2004.

1. Cheezmo

Cheezmo Legend

Feb 5, 2004
    I'm going to be out this evening and looking at the "Timer Management" screen, I'm a little worried my timers for 8 Rules and 24 aren't going to fire.

Under "Sorted by Action Order" I have:

Weekly 08:00PM CBS DVR (this is a Monday Timer)
    Weekly 09:00PM CBS DVR (this is a Monday Timer)
    Mon. - Fri. 10:35PM KXAS DVR (this is M-F)

Those 3 fired just fine yesterday, why are they still listed first?

Then I have:
    Weekly 07:00PM WFAA DVR (Tuesday)
    Weekly 08:00 FOX DVR (Tuesday)

Does anyone think the Tuesday timers will fire, given the Monday ones are still listed before them? What should I delete/reenter to clean things up?

2. DonLandis

DonLandis Hall Of Fame

Dec 17, 2003
    All my weekly timers stay listed. Your weekly timer that fired yesterday is now on schedule to fire next week as it is the next time that that event will occur

3. SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon Hall Of Fame

Jan 15, 2004
    I've seen this often, and in and of itself doesn't seem to be a problem. I don't know what's supposed to set the start time (or whatever), but it doesn't always work.

Check the guide for red dots - that has been a reliable indicator for me.

When you see events out of sequence, that's trouble! But don't jump to conclusions - if you've done a "Skip one time" to resolve a timer conflict, you might think that you've got an out of sequence condition, but it's actually correct.

4. Cheezmo

Cheezmo Legend

Feb 5, 2004
    Since they were OTA timers, no red dots, but thanks for the suggestion.

I ended up deleting the Monday timers (and recreating the M-F 10:35 one, which put it back it the correct order.

It looks like my two timers tonight fired just fine (although I haven't viewed them yet to see if it is actually the right channels that got recorded, you never know).

5. DonLandis

DonLandis Hall Of Fame

Dec 17, 2003
    Don't you people have dates next to your weekly timers? All mine do and after they fire, that line item is now listed for next weeks actual date. I don't see the order in the vertical list has anything to do with firing order. That is controlled by the date. None of my line items are in any special order except that recordings are listed on top and future events to be recorded below those.

Tonight, I screwed up. I accidently hit stop on the remote to end a viewing of a prerecorded program and remembered that I had NCIS recording on CBS in the background at that time. I checked and sure enough, the timer event quit about 33 minutes into the NCIS show. I simply and quickly recovered from this by tuning to the CBS station, selecting record the remainder of the show and I ended up losing about 2 minutes of a commercial break (lucky) and had to watch the show in two parts. No big deal and it was my error. But, I mention it because I thought/recall this was a fix in L180. Guess not. Hitting stop still shuts down background recordings.

6. Cheezmo

Cheezmo Legend

Feb 5, 2004
    I guess it depends where you look at the timers.

If you press Menu -> 7, they are listed exactly as I showed, no dates.

But, as you say, the dates are listed on the DVR screen. I wasn't looking there since the order there is always nonsense, even when you specify "Sort by Date".

7. SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon Hall Of Fame

Jan 15, 2004
    What Cheezmo said.

And - the L180 fixes for "Stop" have been publicized by Mark as not everything has been fixed, so play it safe for now.

8. Big D

Big D Legend

Aug 19, 2002
    To avoid a background recording from stopping it's recording, when you are finished watching another recorded program, hit the up channel button instead of stop. This will stop the program you were watching, return you to the unused/free tuner and not stop the background recording. You can then go into the PVR screen and delete the program you just finished.

9. guruka

guruka Troublemaker/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Dec 27, 2003
    Yes, OR. . . when finished watching the recorded program, FF at 300x to the end and you will be in PVR program screen and can erase immediately from there if you wish.

.....G

10. Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt Your Neighborhood Liasion

Mar 23, 2002
    That's what I usually do - a holdover action from my 501 days when STOP used to stop recordings on that box.

11. DonLandis

DonLandis Hall Of Fame

Dec 17, 2003
    Well, I normally have a different procedure. Memory cap on... I believe I programmed a button on my MX-800 called "Cancel" or "End" from the original 6000 remote.

Edit- Sorry, bad memory. That brings up the info banner. The button directly above that one is a special one I programmed for stop DVR playback. It is also a channel up. No difference.