1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bug Report L185: Auto-reboot didn't

Discussion in 'Other HD Receiver Support Forum (811, 921, 942)' started by SimpleSimon, Jul 8, 2004.

1. Jul 8, 2004 #1 of 12
    SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon Hall Of Fame

Jan 15, 2004
    The problem referenced [thread=29269]here[/thread] happened to me again and persisted for a couple of days while I waited for the L185 auto-reboot to fix it (I guess I'm just a tester at heart). I was up watching TV too early Wednesday AM for the reboot to occur, and this morning I had turned the box off while watching a recorded event instead of watching live TV.

No auto-reboot occurred, and I had no video when I powered up just now. SD/HD twice (first one turned on SD light, second switched it back to HD) brought it back, and I had a black screen with 77 UKN for info, the PIP window was still where I left it (away from default position), and the 29269 problem was still there.

Normally (or maybe prior to L185), if I turn off the 921 while watching an event, it comes back up to live TV just fine. Don't know if this failure mode is due to the problem referenced in thread 29269, or due to L185.

I did a front-panel reboot and normal behavior seems to be back.

Point is, the auto-reboot routine didn't complete for some reason.

2. Jul 9, 2004 #2 of 12
    paulcdavis

paulcdavis Legend/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jan 22, 2004
    I suspected that my 921 was not auto rebooting since Monday but waited a few more days to see if it would reboot on its own. As of this morning (Friday), the PIP window had still not returned to default positon after 4 nights, so I manually rebooted which moved the PIP window back to the default position. I then changed the position and will check each morning to see if I'm getting overnight reboots.

Unless there are dependencies in the L185 reboot code other than just overnight, in standby and no timers, the auto reboot does not seem reliable.

3. Jul 9, 2004 #3 of 12
    Jerry G

Jerry G Icon

Jul 12, 2003
    I guess this shouldn't come as any surprise given the overall tenor of the 921. I guess it's time to go back to my daily manual reboots. Don should put his automatic timer back in place. I guess I'll have to go out and buy one now.

4. Jul 9, 2004 #4 of 12
    Larry

Larry AllStar/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Aug 1, 2003
    Being incredibly new to the 921, what can I check to see if it is doing the auto reboot overnight?

5. Jul 9, 2004 #5 of 12
    paulcdavis

Jan 22, 2004
    Press the PIP button to display the PIP window and then the position button to move the PIP window to any position other than the default location of the lower right corner. The PIP window will remember the last position it was in, and display there the next time you press the PIP button. (even after the unit is turned off [placed in standby]

Any reboot of the 921 resets the display position of the PIP window to the default position of lower right corner.

If your unit auto reboots overnight, the PIP window should have moved to the default position.

6. Jul 9, 2004 #6 of 12
    SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon Hall Of Fame

Jan 15, 2004
    Move your PIP window away from the bottom-right corner with the Position button and leave it there (you can hide it with the PIP button of course). If it returns to the lower-right corner, you can be sure the box has rebooted.

7. Jul 9, 2004 #7 of 12
    Larry

Aug 1, 2003
    paulcdavis & SimpleSimon:

Thank you, I'll try it tonight.

8. paulcdavis

Jan 22, 2004
    After manually rebooting on Friday morning (after 4 nights without an auto reboot) my unit auto rebooted over last night. I plan to keep checking to see if it continues auto rebooting or stops again.

9. Larry

Aug 1, 2003
    Like I mentioned above, I'm extremely new to the 921. I did follow instructions and noticed that mine rebooted last night as well. I will also continue to monitor this.

10. paulcdavis

Jan 22, 2004
    It seems that the auto reboot code is still in L186. My 921 has rebooted overnight for the past two nights. (I doubt it will ever be taken out since a nightly reboot is easier than finding all the timer and memory leaks)

11. Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt Your Neighborhood Liasion

Mar 23, 2002
    Yes, the autoreboot code is in L186.

12. kmcnamara

kmcnamara Icon

Jan 30, 2004
    If this turns out to be the case, we're looking at the king of all hacks.