1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bug Report:thin Black Verticle Lines While Viewing Hd

Discussion in 'Other HD Receiver Support Forum (811, 921, 942)' started by Eagles, May 4, 2004.

1. Eagles

Eagles Godfather/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Dec 31, 2003
    I was watching the Flyers Maple Leafs game on ESPNHD on Sunday night. The Game was broadcast in HD. About halfway thru the game a series of thin black vertical lines appeared and remained for the remainder the game. These lines were similar in appearance to the thin blue vertical lines reported in another thread which appeared while watching an SD broadcast. I know because I have experienced them also. I was viewing via component video and set at 16:9 aspect ratio, 1080i. I switched to 480p just to see what would happen and the lines remained at that setting too. These lines were very visible with the ice surface as a background. I will attempt to attach some screen shots as examples. Hopefully these can be opened. As a side note, I have never seen these lines before, and haven't seen them since. I watched the Sharks Avalanche game tonight on ESPNHD and it looked great.
    Did anyone out there watch this particular game Sunday night on ESPNHD? !pride

Boot 120B
    Flash F051
    SW L180HECD-N

2. Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt Your Neighborhood Liasion

Mar 23, 2002
    I believe this is caused by the same problem that causes the thin blue lines as well, but I'll check.

3. Mark Lamutt

Mar 23, 2002
    I just received confirmation on this Eagles - the black line artifacting is caused by the software bug, not the hardware problem.

4. sleepy hollow

sleepy hollow Legend

Aug 25, 2003

I have the same problem in SD sat mode, and reported it on this forum awhile ago, certainly prior to L180. Not sure which thread it was.

Last night it was particularly noticeable. I do not recall seeing it in HD mode, but might be. It comes and goes.

Also, my unit was checked for the blue line problem prior to installation (I had a unit but was waiting for the second feed to be installed when the blue line problem was announced, so Dish took my uninstalled unit back and checked it), so I was pretty sure Mark would come back with the software bug diagnosis. Naturally I am glad he did.

So, speculating further, seems like Dish knows about it, but judging from Mark's response, I assume they have not yet engineered a fix for Mark to test (or he'd have known the answer). Reasonable deductions, Mark?

5. Mark Lamutt

Mar 23, 2002
    Fix isn't done yet, and won't (almost certainly) be in the next software version. But, I have never seen this issue with my 921, so I'll have a hard testing it regardless.

6. BarryO

BarryO Legend

Dec 16, 2003
    BTW, looks like your set is in serious need of convergence.

7. sleepy hollow

sleepy hollow Legend

Aug 25, 2003

I guess so. By the way, I notice Eagles had the problem watching sports. I have to say now that I think about it, seems that I only recall seeing it on sporting events - I remember college B-ball a few months ago, and last night was watching an O's game on Comcast Sports Net when it happened.

Could there be a connection? I do not see how, but one never knows.

8. Eagles

Eagles Godfather/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Dec 31, 2003
    What makes you say that? How could anyone tell from viewing thumbnail screenshots? Is there something in the picture which may give a clue to this?
    !pride

9. pculley

pculley AllStar

Dec 23, 2003
    All the black areas seem to have a red fringe on top, and a green one below!

Implies that the convergence is off vertically.