1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Building has MDU - I have to pay $65/ year extra.

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by videoboy77, Jul 12, 2013.

1. videoboy77

videoboy77 Cool Member

Aug 13, 2008
    I'm moving in to a building that has a MDU dish setup and everything has to go through a company called Consolidated Systems ( consolidatedsmart.com). They're charging $45 installation which DIRECTV would give me for free. And they are charging $65/ year on top of my DIRECTV services bill for upkeep and maintenance on the dish and infrastructure of the building. What?

For $65/ year on top of my DIRECTV bill I don't know that I want to keep the service. Anyone hear of something like this before?

2. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    You renting or buying? I am not surprised, but those upkeep fees should be in a HOA fee I'd think. That kind of MDU system is BS as far as I am concerned. But they seem to have strangle holds on things.

I have absolutely heard about them being able to force you to use them to install, and such, but the upkeep fee I haven't heard of before myself.

3. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    And do you happen to know what type of MDU it is? Some of them use old hardware almost no one here knows anything about (HR20i). I'm sure there are some of those still around.

4. videoboy77

videoboy77 Cool Member

Aug 13, 2008
    It's a rental in a newer apartment building with new dish and equipment.

5. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Sounds like they are charging you for a protection plan. I would be sure that I did not also pay DTV for a plan on top of this one.

6. videoboy77

videoboy77 Cool Member

Aug 13, 2008
    Yes it's basically a protection plan but it's also a revenue source for this company... And I think it's extortion. I can choose not to have the protection plan with directv. But if I want directv in this building I'm going to be paying these guys for the privilege. Sad to say I think I'm going to be getting TWC. I don't know yet...

7. dishinitout

dishinitout Mentor

Jan 4, 2013
    Southern...
    MDU Operators get to play by a slightly different set of rules....

None of what they are quoting you is horribly out of line. The install charge is common. Their version of the Protection Plan is done in 1 pay instead of the monthly DirecTV offers. This should, however, be an option not a requirement of service. If you decline they should have alternative charges in place for needed service work (ie. $49 a visit). ,However, most problems that occur with MDUs don't occur within the unit and would ultimately be the responsibility of the MDU Operator so needing a service call should be rare.

8. cabletech

cabletech Legend

Jan 20, 2011
    I maintain a couple of MDU's and based on how you stated the problem, here is what I see.

1) Do not move into this complex.
    2) Move in and keep DTV and pay the $$.
    3) Move in and cancell DTV and go cable, or with out.

How, has stated in other reply's, when you move into a private maintaned MDU, it is normal to be charged an install fee by the provider of the complex, EVEN if you bring your own equipment.

As for the $65yr maintance fee, I have to say that that IS out of line, as 98.5% of problems are related to the main equipment closet or a once in a while reciever going bad.

Good luck

9. videoboy77

videoboy77 Cool Member

Aug 13, 2008
    Thanks for the replys.

I was able to get Directv to offer to reimburse installation costs, which I'm happy about. (It's almost $200 to install the genie setup with this company, directv is free) I may be able to get them to reimburse the $65 as well...

10. kenglish

kenglish Icon

Oct 2, 2004
    Salt Lake...
    $65.00 a year for "upkeep" seems pretty steep, if it's in addition to your subscription too. You wouldn't expect to spend that kind of money to keep your own dish working.
    Do you have a balcony where you can get a signal?

You should write or call the FCC....this seems to go against the OTARD rules.

11. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    It sounds like the PP is what they are charging you for...being in a HOA MDU type scenario, you may not have a choice if you choose to live there.