1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Bulk" silver

Discussion in 'The OT' started by AntAltMike, Oct 3, 2018.

1. AntAltMike

AntAltMike Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2004
    College...
    If I walk into a coin shop with a bunch of silver coins of no numismatic value, (Liberty Qs, Morgan dollars) what should I expect them to offer me. I'd guess they're all the same. I also have two uncirculated .999+ one troy ounce mini-ingots sealed. I don't know if that is melt grade or not .

2. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
  3. AntAltMike

AntAltMike Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2004
    College...
    I know silver prices, but I was wondering if anyone had experience with walk-in prices. A guy buying coins from walk-ins has to sell them to someone who smelts them to separate the silver and then, they each have to make a profit. Looks like I'd have been better off if I had found more gold coins and fewer silver ones.

Looking at a 100 year chart, it looks like I got lucky when I sold some silver back in maybe 2012, as silver prices were near a "local maxima". Unfortunately, I don't know the exact day or even the nearest month to figure out what the coin inconvenience discount rate might be. I think I got $20 a piece for them, even though at a metals price of $30 or so an ounce, that would mean there was about $27 worth of silver in them, to be separated and transacted a few times along the way.

$2.64 of silver in Liberty quarters probably means I'll be offered just over $2 each.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2018
  4. AntAltMike

AntAltMike Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2004
    College...
    Learned a little. The .999+ pure bars went for just about the so-called industry price, $14 each, but it could be that the quoted bulk price is for silver that is less pure and so it is inferior to my bars.

Quarters have $2.63 in silver in them today. I was offered $2.00 and $2.25, and guess which one I took. That is a 14% discount from the bulk metals price, occasioned by what is needed to recover that silver.

Unfortunately I violated the edict to sell high, as, when I had acquired this silver, it was selling for $30 something an ounce. I guess I wouldn't make much of a Ferengi... because my ears are too big.