1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Burger King reinvents itself with new food, new look

Discussion in 'The OT' started by fluffybear, Apr 2, 2012.

1. Apr 2, 2012 #1 of 27
    fluffybear

fluffybear Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    From USA Today:

2. Apr 2, 2012 #2 of 27
    Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    I enjoy a burger from BK now and then...

But around here, they have closed all but two of the BK's... and where they remain are just so far out of the way, not worth the time.

McD, Wendy's, Subway, Jimmy John's, White Castle, plus a mirriad of Mom and Pops... BK has a major hill to climb.

3. Apr 2, 2012 #3 of 27
    augisdad

augisdad AllStar

Sep 29, 2011
    KC area
    I guess the BK I went to this morning is taking this to the extreme by not having coffee! No coffee on a Monday morning? Come on! Then to top it off, when I chose water with my brkfst value meal, I was charged for a value soda. When I questioned not getting a discount for having water, his reply was I ordered "the value meal". Some value there, being charged for a Fanta Strawberry on my receipt! What a ripoff. :mad:

4. Apr 2, 2012 #4 of 27
    MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    I'd rather dine off a Army MRE then patronize a Burger King.

5. Apr 2, 2012 #5 of 27
    Herdfan

Herdfan Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2006
    Teays...
    Now and then is about right. A Double Whopper w/cheese is good on occasion, but they tend to go right through me so stopping at BK on a car trip is a no-no.

I don't know how the local one stays in business as I never see cars there compared to the Wendy's and McD across the street. The BK is even easier to get in and out of as it has a light.

6. Apr 2, 2012 #6 of 27
    Rob

Rob Icon

Apr 22, 2002
    I went to BK with a card for a Free Whopper. It was Whopper Wednesday where the Whopper Meal was $2.99. I tried to use the free Whopper card on the meal, and they said it would be almost $5 with the card.

And at Wendy's I got a coupon from the Wendy's website and the Wendy's I went to said that the coupon was fraudulent and they don't accept printed coupons.

7. Apr 2, 2012 #7 of 27
    pfp

pfp Whatever

Apr 28, 2009
    I've never had one of those but I can't imagine it would be any worse than most items at BK. The only thing I can stomach at BK is the onion rings - those are fantastic!

8. Apr 2, 2012 #8 of 27
    Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon Chancellor

Jun 7, 2004
    Dawson, Georgia
    I wish Dawson had a Burger King... :mad:

~Alan

9. Apr 2, 2012 #9 of 27
    Getteau

Getteau Icon

Dec 19, 2007
    Houston
    Wow, they spent a year working on new menu items that are almost identical to what already sells in McDonald's. They could have just visited a McDonald's one afternoon and taken the next 364.5 days off.

10. Cholly

Cholly Old Guys Rule! DBSTalk Club

Mar 22, 2004
    Indian...
    BK had to do something. Last week, it was reported that Wendy's had knocked BK out of the #2 spot.

11. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Years ago (80s), my hometown still had an Arthur Treachers and never saw anyone there. I figured they must have had a side business.

12. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    We had three BKs in our small town of Brunswick, Ga, but two closed. I haven't been.
    You can have ours -- bring a large truck and some friends.

13. Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon Chancellor

Jun 7, 2004
    Dawson, Georgia
    Albany has one... but it'd be mighty nice to have one in Dawson.

I used to enjoy their chicken sandwiches, and BK's recent special on it was pretty awesome. My Uncle often stops by BK and gets some pretty awesome priced food.

McDonald's food (overall) taste like something I'd question feeding an animal... :(

~Alan

14. Phil T

Phil T Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Mar 25, 2002
    Littleton,...
    In the Denver area we are having a burger explosion! First we had Fatburger come and go. Good burgers and frys but really high prices. Then Smashburger, again good burgers but to high priced for me. Recently Freddy's Steakburgers and Steak and Shake. Freddy's is supposed to have 14 locations here soon. They just opened one near me and the place is always packed. Steak and Shake opened their first Colorado location in November and the second will open within a month. They are supposed to have five open in a year. Heck we even got a MaidRite (from Iowa) that opened here. A lot of folks are really wanting In and Out to show up here. I understand they just opened in Texas and Utah so there is a good chance they might come here. Carl's Jr is always changing their menu and has a new southwest patty melt that I really like.

I think the Burger King, McDonalds and Wendy's will have to keep changing or die with all the new specialty burger joints popping up all over.

15. Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon Chancellor

Jun 7, 2004
    Dawson, Georgia
    Backyard Burger had the BEST burgers I've ever eaten at a burger joint.

Unfortunately, they closed the one in Albany several years ago (bad location). :(

~Alan

16. Marlin Guy

Marlin Guy Hall Of Fame

Apr 8, 2009
    Click Here

17. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Didn't know you were the Grammar Police, always thought that was Nick's job. :sure:

18. 4HiMarks

4HiMarks Hall Of Fame

Jan 21, 2004
    Laurel, MD
    Other than McMuffins at breakfast time, BK and Chick-fil-A are the only fast food restaurants I will even think about patronizing. Unless I can find one of the new Roy Rogers. I was really bummed when they closed down the franchise. Luckily someone in Frederick, MD bought the name and recipes, so every time I pass through that area, I stop.

19. ndole

ndole Problem Solver

Aug 26, 2009
    BK needed to do SOMETHING. Anything was better than keeping the same tired nasty menu. The only thing they do right is the whopper and whopper jr. That's it. You can't keep a franchise afloat with just two (basically one) items. Don't get me started on their breakfast menu. Even after the 're-vamp', it still resembles Taco Bell, where they re-hash the same 3 ingredients to make seven or eight different items.

I'm looking forward to the change. Maybe I'll buy more than one thing there.

20. MrMiller

MrMiller New Member

Mar 27, 2012
    I love the burgers but don't eat there much because their fries STILL suck. I had high hopes when they announced they had new fries, but they were still gross.

I wish someone would bring back Wendy's old fries, the ones they had before they switched over to these natural fries with sea salt.