1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Buy 1 Movie, Get 1 Free - not really!

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Plasman, May 25, 2011.

1. Plasman

Plasman AllStar

Jan 1, 2006
    I have been a D* subscriber for over 10 years and frequently get the buy 1 movie, get 1 free offer by e-mail.

I don't watch very many PPV, but each time I get this offer I click on the link to take advantage of this - only to find out that "Mail-in redemption is required".

D* bills my credit card over $190 a month automatically to presumably save on postage. Yet for a "free" movie I have to jump through hoops? They can send satellites into the sky but can't write a program to watch my account for 2 movie purchases so that they can credit one?

Small point yes, but does anyone else find this kind of insulting?

2. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    Not really. It's a rebate program. It's very similar to a lot of buy 1 get 1 free offers for products you buy. After you pay for both, you send in your receipt, rebate slip, etc. and you get a check back for the price of one of the items.

Like with all rebates, the company is betting that a percentage of the people will not want to take the time to perform the rebate process.

- Merg

3. gslater

gslater Gone to the Dogs

Aug 5, 2007
    It's no different than a 6 months interest free deal at some store. They know that a good portion of the customers taking advantage of it will fail to pay it off on time and incur the finance charges. The offer entices people to buy by offering no interest and then get's most of the interest anyway. Same thing is happening here. DirecTv knows that many people will take advantage and then never send in the redemption so they make more. Like it or hate it as you will. It's become pretty standard marketing practice.

4. Plasman

Plasman AllStar

Jan 1, 2006
    I suppose it passes some state-of-the-art marketing 101 test. But presumably D* is doing this to reward customers and to also hook us on the PPV habit. Why make it onerous? If someone sells crack outside the high school gates, they don't have you fill out forms.

5. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    True. But most people don't get addicted to PPV because they got a free one causing them to go back time and time again... :)

- Merg

6. tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    All rebate programs are like playing craps in Vegas. The house has the advantage. Forget to send in the form. Mess it up. Lost in mail. Check comes and you don't notice it. All ways the company gets to keep its money. Ick.

Oddly, I just bought come efficient appliances and got a rebate via our local utility. In somewhat a wonderful way of doing things, the envelope said in big blue letters "Rebate Check." I guess the environment people have to spend their money.

7. mluntz

mluntz Icon

Jul 13, 2006
    So is this mail in redemption something you print out after you order the movie? They're not going to get me with this!

All that will happen is that my bill will get screwed up!

8. Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2009
    I use the coupons all of the time, I don't understand why you would think it's a bad deal. Hey, we'll give you money back if you fill out this paper with your Name, Address and Movie you watched. People use rebates everywhere especially for electronics, it's silly to not fill them out or not buy the product because it has a rebate.

9. dvisthe

dvisthe Legend

May 26, 2007
    I also use the coupons all the time and never had a problem, what is interesting about this this time is that the coupon is for $5.99 not the usual $4.99, so it covers the whole HD movie price.:)

10. Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2009
    Interesting, I used to get the $5.99 coupon and then I started getting the $4.99. Currently I have two sitting on my desk waiting to get used.

11. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Exactly. I really found this out when I was trying to wheel and deal when I got my TV. I tried to get the $50 delivery charge waived off the top, just to not have to deal with the free delivery mail in rebate. I couldn't get them to budge, all they'd do is give me a free $100 Monster cable...

12. Plasman

Plasman AllStar

Jan 1, 2006
    So you order two movies and they send you a coupon in 8-10 weeks automatically? What do you do with the coupon if you never receive a paper bill? Is there an address on the coupon to send it to?

13. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    There is an address on the back that you mail it back to if you don't get a paper bill.

- Merg

14. Shades228

Shades228 DaBears

Mar 18, 2008
    That has more to do with profit margins. Profit margins on delivery services are much smaller than the % of the cable.

Another reason for rebates is that a lot of the time the company you get the service from is not the one paying the rebate.

15. TBoneit

TBoneit Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2006
    Some people may use rebates. I suspect most do not.

I don't play that game.

If they have a price with a rebate and they won't do that price without the rebate they lost that sale. No way will a rebate make me buy something I don't need or a brand I don't like.

Yes, a real heavy duty rebater, couponer that works at it can save good amounts of money, too much work for me.

16. tkrandall

tkrandall Hall Of Fame

Oct 3, 2003
    I don't like the the way DirecTV does these rebates either. For example, last December they ran a promotion for watch 2 get 2 free. We watched the 4 and they were supposed to have mailed me some sort of rebate form for that particular promotion but they never did. I just don't think they follow through very well on this.

17. JeffBowser

JeffBowser blah blah blah

Dec 21, 2006
    I keep getting those coupons in the mail. I throw them away. I tried one once, never got the credit. Rather than get all angsty about it, I just don't use them, nor do I order PPV for that matter, but once every 5th blue moon, if it occurs on a Friday the 13th.

18. Whiskey River

Whiskey River Mentor

Apr 7, 2009

19. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    ...on a leap year. :lol:

- Merg

20. wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose Hall Of Fame

Aug 16, 2006
    This rebate fiasco is actually the exact reason I stopped using D*'s PPV service.