1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Buyer Beware when purchasing "Owned" DIRECTV receivers

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Scott Kocourek, May 11, 2012.

1. Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2009
    It appears that times may be changing and one should be very cautious if purchasing an Owned DIRECTV receiver from a DIRECTV employee. I am not a DIRECTV employee so I don't know all of the rules they have to follow but it looks like if you purchase a receiver from an (Ex)employee that you may not be able to activate it.

ADMIN EDIT: This thread is for discussion purposes only. This is not official information from DirecTV therefore it must be considered rumor. With that said, it is highly suggested to do your homework before buying ANY receiver.

2. wahooq

wahooq New Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Tulsa, OK
    As long as the employee is an EX employee and one that has owned equipment, it is transferable. AFTER seperation of employment, you can purchase/activate it IF the account is in good standing. Some peeps work for DTV in a contracted position that may involve different rules. If in doubt always call DTV and ask for the Access Card Department. Before shelling out any $$$

3. iceturkee

iceturkee DINFOS Trained Killer DBSTalk Club

Apr 1, 2007
    daytona...
    Not anymore.. New policy but former employees can no longer sell their stuff. Dtv will not activate.

4. wahooq

wahooq New Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Tulsa, OK
    NOT true FORMER employees can sell their equip if they own it, and in some cases like vendors or HSP's they don't ......CURRENT employees can't sell their equip or even trade it...

5. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    Bottom line is: Always get the Receiver ID number (RID), then call the access card department and ask whether or not you could activate the unit if you purchased it. This applies to any used, allegedly owned, receiver/DVR whether it is from a former employee, on an auction site, or in a yard sale.

6. wahooq

wahooq New Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Tulsa, OK
    ^+1 good call

7. Shades228

Shades228 DaBears

Mar 18, 2008
    I would follow Scotts advice on this one.

DishnetSuperfan likes this.
  8. Chris Blount

Chris Blount Creator of DBSTalk Staff Member Administrator DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 22, 2001
    I have added the following to the first post in this thread:

This thread is for discussion purposes only. This is not official information from DirecTV therefore it must be considered rumor. With that said, it is highly suggested to do your homework before buying ANY receiver.

9. wahooq

wahooq New Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Tulsa, OK
    ^werd!

10. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    This is the correct number to call to get the Access Card Dept.: 877-887-7994. I wouldn't trust anyone else when it comes to buying an owned HR. Most of the HRs for sale on eBay are leased. I call a few times a week about them and I haven't seen an owned HR (a model that I would buy) in quite a while. Some of the folks that sell them on a regular basis (have no idea where they get them) I never check, but the prices are too high for those. I think.

Rich

11. iceturkee

Apr 1, 2007
    daytona...
    go to the former dtv employee selling equipment thread in the buy, sell, trade thread. in addition to my comments, there is a comment from a dtv employee and a dbstalk member who was told he couldn't activate the equipment he recently purchased from a former employee.

12. joshjr

joshjr Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    I dont think that is a clear cut answer. What if I own my recievers and then I start working with DirecTV? I should still own what I owned before I started with them.

13. AntAltMike

AntAltMike Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2004
    College...
    Since nearly all "new" DirecTV receivers have been leased rather than owned for several years now, what are we talking about here? Some old Hughes HAH series and maybe some Sony TIVOs? It is my understanding that the impetus for still buying receivers is to get the model that one wants, which DirecTV cannot or will not arrange, so it seems implausible that an employee would have "bought" his receiver from DirecTV rather than taking the leased model, since he would not get the benefit of guaranteeing the model he received.

14. joshjr

joshjr Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    There are some things you are not getting here. Someone could leasea HR34, cancel it and not send it back, then pay the DNF fee and own it. They could have owned equipment and have a older unit replaced with a HR24 and then start working for DirecTV. There ae ways. Seems like some are being way to narrow minded. Things are possible.

15. iceturkee

Apr 1, 2007
    daytona...
    anything that dtv would give you gratis while you are employed would not be eligible to be sold, even after you terminated your employment. that's what two people on the customer advocacy team told me. take it however you want.

16. AnonomissX

AnonomissX Godfather

Jun 29, 2006
    Las Vegas, NV
    I don't think anyone really wants the deactivated Hughes SD-HBH's I have lying around somewhere, LOL!

17. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    Going full circle back to the original post.

It is clear the intent of this information was to alert folks here to be aware of a rumored change in policy for DirecTV employees (they used to get equipment as owned and could sell it as owned, regardless of being a current or past employee), as well as the fact that purchasing any receiver or DVR as an "owned" unit carries some risk. The only exception to any risk is buying it from DirecTV, but that will likely be at full retail price.

It can be done (I just bought an HD DVR in the past 60 days, and all my equipment is owned), but extra effort and research is part of that purchasing process. I am not affiliated with nor an employee of DirecTV. You should also plan that a $20 new Access Card will be required for any new owned hardware you buy, as activating a previous owner card is no longer an option.

Since DirecTV has been leasing equipment, especially the newer hardware for many years now...owned equipment is getting to be far less common.

As a "buyer beware" post, readers should simply heed the recommendation and proceed accordingly.

18. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    There are a lot of owned receivers out there. Any owned receiver replaced via the PP is owned. MDU receivers in many cases are still considered to be owned. Also, DirecTV employees can get receivers at little or no cost and many of them are considered to be owned.

DirecTV will not activate the HR34 in the example that you posted. Even though the DNR fee was paid, DirecTV will flag that receiver and it will not be able to be activated.

- Merg

19. TBlazer07

TBlazer07 Grumpy Grampy

Feb 5, 2009
    Regarding mdu, as of July 2009 new mdu subs went over to the lease model. So purchased pre-2009 yes.

Lots of mdu folks actually would throw out receivers when they moved. In some larger properties with a large tenant turnover building management literally had them stacked to the ceiling (mostly SD boxes but plenty of DVR's and HD-DVR's) and would beg the mdu providers to come and take them away.

If you lived near an mdu type property usually you could score a couple of owned HR's with relative ease for a six-pack to the building manager. :) Of course now with the change to the lease model almost 3 yrs ago that is pretty much gone except for some long time residents who move out. The newer folks who left their leased boxes behind will be in for a rude awakening a few months later when the fees hit their CC's. :eek2:

20. LOCODUDE

LOCODUDE Hall Of Fame

Aug 7, 2007
    New York
    Re OP: Very good advice. I am currently stuck with an expensive paperweight.......