Buying Receiver on Ebay

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by narcorngr, May 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. narcorngr

narcorngr Cool Member

May 19, 2008
    This I'm sure has been asked and answered here before but since I'm new I haven't seen a post on the subject.
    My question is, is it worth it to buy a receiver on Ebay thereby avoiding lenghty comittments and the requirement to return all leased units when you terminate service ?
    Is there any key to doing this like buying previously used as opposed to new units to aviod the committment trap ?
    Is it worth the hassel ?
    Anyone have any experience, good or bad ?
    Thanks for the advice.

2. houskamp

houskamp Active Member

Sep 14, 2006
    Do a search for ebay and hr20.. you'll find a ton of problems with buying them on ebay..

3. bcrab

bcrab Legend

Mar 6, 2007
    I've got two HR20's off ebay with no problems.

4. evan_s

evan_s Hall Of Fame

Mar 3, 2008
    Almost all current generation receivers are lease units. Any new ones "sold" on ebay are most likely still leases with the same commitment as getting it from DirecTV directly or Best Buy. If you are looking for a current MPEG4 HD receiver it's going to be very difficult and most likely more expensive to get an owned unit. If you are looking at older units for SD then you can probably find plenty of used units on ebay.

If you do buy a used unit it shouldn't include an access card and even if it does you should still need to pay 20$ for a new access card to activate it on your account. You might get a rep that will activate it with the old card but if there are any old PPV charges on that card they will show up on your bill.

As far as avoiding returning the leased units I don't see what the big deal is. It's pretty useless with the service and assuming you last out your 2 year commitment it's probably lost most of it's resale value even if you did own it.

5. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    If you choose to pursue that route and I recommend against doing it, make absolutely sure the seller owns the reciever they are selling, most since Feb or so 2006 are leased units, although they can be bought for 700 or 800 bucks for the HD DVR boxes. Also make sure there are no outstanding PPV balances tied to the receivers. In any event be prepared to pay $20 for a new access card from Directv to activate it....there will be posts after mine saying its fine, because they'll tell you they have never had any problems doing it, but those are rare cases not the norm. If you dig, you'll also find just as many or more posts about people that have had nightmare activation stories for their fleabay gotten recievers.

You have been warned....

6. Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Welcome to the forums, narcongr! :welcome_s

First question: Are you likely to move or switch cable providers in the next two years? (Same question I ask my self about cellphones everytime I upgrade.) If no, then save all the potential hassle and get a great deal from DIRECTV. (assuming you've been a good customer and haven't abused "getting a great deal" for awhile.) :)

If you really think you might switch or need to switch, and really want to go thru the eBay hoops do some homework as you buy:
    Check the seller for ANY comments that might indicate bad selling of DIRECTV gear in particular.

Request a receiver ID from the seller and check its lease status at DIRECTV before you buy.

Know that you will be buying a $20 access card, and returning the seller's access card to DIRECTV. So figure in that extra fee as well.

Take advantage of every protection you can get thru eBay.

And good luck to you.

Normally I'm agnostic about eBay. I have purchased but am not a regular shopper. But the amount of fraud with leased receivers seems to be more than I'd like to mess with. (and my account, in good standing with DIRECTV and with few requests for yet another discount, has typically earned inexpensive receivers--before I became a moderator and field tester.)

Cheers,
    Tom

7. narcorngr

narcorngr Cool Member

May 19, 2008
    Thanks for the great advice. I will avoid the ebay route and upgrade my old units through DTV direct or Costco or BB. Currently have 2 H20s and 4 older hughes units. Wil probably P/U one HD DVR and 3 HD non-DVR and be done with it.. Great Fourm here..

8. 1948GG

1948GG Icon

Aug 4, 2007
    Virtually anything that DirecTV sells (in the past 2+ years going) are LEASED, except for some of the basic and even HD (H20) receivers, which have been (and still are) given away for 'free' (100% cost rebate).

I may be the single most 'mass quantities' buyer of HR20's off eBay, as I've purchased (for clients) over 260+ in the last 1.5 years. As the number available has dropped down, and now that the AM21 is somewhat available, I've probably bought the last one (about one month ago).

First, NEVER buy something 'used', or 'looks used' by the description. NEW and SEALED are keywords to live by, especially when it comes to the access card. All the cables, manuals, and such should be in the small 'kit' that comes with the unit, not 'stripped off' or missing.

NEVER have shipping other than something 'trackable', i.e., UPS or FEDEX, avoid USPS, even so-called 'trackable' in their system (which really isn't).

AND, PAYPAL is your friend. I won't buy anything without using it, and make sure the protection amount covers the total price you're paying. I had ONE unit that never showed up, and Paypal rebated the entire amount within a week. They knew the 'seller' was a deadbeat almost before I did.

Price: the last unit (an HR20-100) was the most expensive I got, right at $200 (including shipping). Before that, I averaged around $150-160. Again, if you can wrangle a deal out of DirecTV for less than that, whip out the CC at light speed.

FYI, every unit I got for folks was activated at my 'test bench' (on that persons account), and ran for at least a week before handing over to the owner. NONE of them had any problems. None of them as of yet (knock on wood) have EVER had any problems. If you get something new, if you do have problems, it's a 'luck of the draw'.

In short, follow some basic 'rules' and you'll do just fine.

9. rey_1178

rey_1178 Member

Dec 12, 2007
    Florida
    I recently purchased a HR21-200 from ebay for $115 shipping included. no problems. this seller sold many of these with no problems.

10. Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    That appears to be a key, buy from someone who has sold many items successfully.

Cheers
    Tom

11. ajc68

ajc68 Icon

Jan 23, 2008
    Don't even bother trying to buy a receiver outright, it's considerably less expensive to lease it. And if something goes wrong, which it often does, D* will ship you a new receiver if it's leased. If you buy it outright, you're on your own. You can buy a new HR21-700 at Costco for $169.

12. curt8403

curt8403 Hall Of Fame

Dec 27, 2007
    correction. that is the lease price ($169)

and I agree, DO NOT buy from Ebay

13. RobertE

RobertE Active Member

Jun 9, 2006
    I really wish DirecTv would simply stop activating used receivers that have not been on that customers account previously. That would save a lot of people a lot of heads (while creating a few others).

14. jimb726

jimb726 Icon

Jan 9, 2007
    Boy could you imagine the firestorm that would stir up? Yike all of the people who held onto their HR10's because they had resale value, now worth nothing. That would be a bitter pill for them to swallow.

15. RobertE

RobertE Active Member

Jun 9, 2006
    Too bad.

Just too many problem with receivers going from account to account to account.

I also think that they should start phasing out older generation boxes. Time to stop supporting 15+ years of legacy receivers. Wasted resources. Like developers still supporting DOS 3.3 today.

16. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    Lets face it, the HR10's really arent worth that much today anyway...only for the Tivo fanboys. They were good receivers that have just about seen their days, now with so much great MPEG4 content that those receivers cant see.

17. gslater

gslater Gone to the Dogs

Aug 5, 2007
    I'm in the market for an Hr21 (have 2 H20-100's right now and a legacy RCA receiver) and DirecTV won't deal on it. I was prepared to spend the 200 plus need an Am21 (Because the NBC affiliate here is owned by LIN). This sounds like a good deal at Costco.

Anybody have anything good or bad to say about Costco vs. DirecTV purchase? Or HR21-700 vs. -200 or -100?

I plan on pulling the trigger on this in the next few weeks.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.