1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Buying Specific Receivers?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by js0873, May 15, 2010.

1. js0873

js0873 Legend

Apr 18, 2005
    I'm considering switching from Dish to D* and would need 4 HD DVRs and 2 SD DVRs. I'm also strongly considering the MRV option. My question relates to getting the exact models I'd want, since any order through D* directly, according to my understanding, doesn't give you the ability to order a specific model.

From what I've read, I'd want HR24s for the HD DVRs and R22s (no longer offered) for the SD DVRs. I'm only saying that on the R22 since it actually can participate in the MRV system.

I had thought that since I couldn't order a specific model from D*, I'd get them from Best Buy. Now I'm finding out that Best Buy no longer carries the receivers. So my first question is, how do I obtain HR24s? What about R22s? Is there a place to do that any more? If not, what model of SD DVR would be recommended?

Now I'm also finding out that if I want to get the free HD DVR from D* when I place my order, I'll have no control over what that is, which I understand. I can easily accept 1 of my 4 HD DVRs being a non HR24. But complicating things, if I purchase 5 DVRs outside of D*, the order would only call for installation of the 1 ordered through them. Telling the installer that, "Here, I've got 5 more to install", won't work. The installer will only do what's on the work order from D*. I could order all 6 receivers D* offers for free, which is 1 HD DVR, 1 HD non-DVR, and 4 standard receivers (as well as buying 5 on my own), and could try telling the installer to not install the 5 I don't want from D* but the other 5 I bought, but they may or may not do that. I could let them install the 5 I don't want, then tell D* after the fact to replace the 5 active ones with new ones I bought, but that might cost me a $49 installation charge. What's the best route to go here? Just looking for some experienced D* advice.

2. Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson 6EQUJ5 WOW! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 24, 2007
    Solidsignal has the Hx24s and DECAs.

HR24-500

If you have one HR24 and watch from the others via MRV you should be sitting pretty. I watch nearly everything from my HR24, so I'm not considering replacing my others.

However, in my case, I don't have many locations to watch from. If I did I might consider getting one or two more HR24's.

I would have the HR24's in the most used locations.

Mike

3. js0873

js0873 Legend

Apr 18, 2005
    I talked to them just a bit before you posted this. I'm not sure what DECAs are, so excuse my ignorance there. Can you help me there?

Getting the receivers seemed easy through them, but I still unclear as to how to coordinate the ones I buy with an initial install from D* in the best way. Any ideas on that?

4. Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson 6EQUJ5 WOW! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 24, 2007
    DECA stands for DirecTV Ethernet Coax Adapter.

If you SWiM you can connect all the receivers over the coax for MRV. No ethernet needed unless you need on demand, TVApps, etc.

http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=170910

Mike

5. johnp37

johnp37 Icon

Sep 14, 2006
    Central NJ
    Ecost.com has HR24s for $166.99. Just ordered 2.

6. denvertrakker

denvertrakker Legend

Feb 5, 2009
    Colorado
    Be very afraid. Check their reviews at resellerratings.com. If it were me I'd spend the extra 30 bucks and buy from solidsignal. Just my opinion.

7. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    If you're going to be a new customer and want specific receivers, your best bet is to order via a local DirecTV retailer. A retailer *can* promise you specific receiver models, though they may not always have what you want available (you may have to wait).

R22s are no longer available anymore, though. The current SD-DVR is the R16, and will not support any MRV, MediaShare, etc. All of those features require an HD-DVR (which is what the R22 really was).

8. joed32

joed32 Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2006
    Never dealt with them but did have a good experience with Overstock, only $10 more.. I bought 3 refurbed DVD recorders from them and one was defective. They exchanged it without a hitch.

9. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    I would also get all hd units for deca.. and get MRV. DO you really need 6 dvr's if you have MRV? If not, you can make your 2 sd units an hd box, like an h24, so you can record wherever, and save some money by not getting all dvr's...

10. js0873

js0873 Legend

Apr 18, 2005
    I really don't understand deca much, but I do plan on getting MRV and I'd like all of my locations in the house to participate in it. My understanding is that R22s could actually do MRV, and I think I can locate a couple of those. If that's wrong, please let me know but that's what someone at D* told me. It's just that R22s have been discontinued and are hard to find.

I really don't need recording capability at all locations in my house. What I do want, though, is the ability to pause and replay live action. Everyone in our house likes that. That's the main reason for DVRs, since pausing and replaying live action is interconnected with the recording part. I wish it wasn't.

11. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    R22s can indeed to MRV, and can do HD if you have a "real" HD receiver on your account as well.

BUT... there are a few issues you should be aware of:

- The R22 is still considered a STANDARD-DEF DVR, and if it dies, it would likely be replaced with an R15 or R16.

- Nearly all R22s are leased. Leased receivers cannot be transferred from account to account, so you can only add them to your account if they are still new-in-box with their original, never-activated access card. Finding NIB R22s will be challenging at this point, since they've been discontinued so long. A few R22s may be owned, but you'd need to get the Receiver ID and Access Card #'s and call DirecTV's Access Card department to verify their owned status before buying.

IMO, R22s aren't a good investment, though you may disagree.

12. js0873

js0873 Legend

Apr 18, 2005
    The local D* retailer felt he could still get R22s, and I'm sure they'd be NIB, so I should be OK. But you made a good point about the receiver failing at some point and not being able to replace it with another R22 on down the line. And at that point I'd be back at the R15/R16, where I would have started without the R22. At least I would have had MRV capability at the SD locations until then. At the same price as the R15/R16 ($99), why would you say it's not a good investment? Is that because you thought I'd be buying the receiver outright vs. leasing it?

13. johnp37

johnp37 Icon

Sep 14, 2006
    Central NJ

14. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    If you figure out how many tuners you need to record what you want, you could probably get by with two or three HR24s, and the rest H24 receivers. Then you would not have to worry about DECA modules (its built into the Hx24 models). The H24 receiver is just as fast as the DVR, supports everything the DVR does except pausing live TV, and its SMALL, doesnt take up any space at all, can be mounted behind a flat panel out of site, etc.

That way you will have the newest and greatest now, and wont have to restart your two year contract by upgrading in the future.