1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

C-SPAN2 picture dim

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by satexplorer, Mar 17, 2009.

1. satexplorer

satexplorer Superstar

Feb 6, 2007
    Dock X
    Anyone notice that C-SPAN2 picture isn't bright. All my transponders read in the 90 range.

2. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    I have noticed the few times I tune to the C-SPANs that they are dimmer than other SD channels.

TP strength has nothing to do with it.

3. dubber deux

dubber deux Icon

Mar 7, 2009
    I actually watch the senate and book tv on a regular basis and yes the white level is very low, VERY LOW.

I have seen C SPAN 2 on other providers and the pic matches the brightness of C SPAN 1.

This is a head end problem at D*.

I will e mail them about this. It is very annoying to watch this way. Your eyes tend to strain and if you turn the brightness up on your own tv the other channels are washed out.

4. dubber deux

dubber deux Icon

Mar 7, 2009
    I have sent an e mail to the Engineering department concerning this issue. I've worked at a TV station in master control/engineering, and occasionally adjustments must be made to video levels to provide proper NTSC/ATSC picture standards. It should be a fairly simple and quick proceedure.

I also informed the Engineering Dept. that QVC, and Comedy Central have similar issues as well.

5. JmC

JmC Jagannatha

Jun 10, 2005
    Dim Witted and lacking Brightness. The problem is the video source.

6. dubber deux

dubber deux Icon

Mar 7, 2009
    Actually as I noted in a previous post it is NOT the origin video feed, it is the delivery from D* as far as the viewer is concerned. I have viewed all these channels on other providers and the video levels are correct.

Granted only CSPAN 2 and QVC stand out as being especially out of standard but nonetheless the problem should be corrected on all.

7. Apr 4, 2009 #7 of 21
    dubber deux

dubber deux Icon

Mar 7, 2009
    Update...

I have scanned the SD channels and have found a number of feeds that are slightly out of NTSC/ATSC video level standards.

They include:

1) C-SPAN 2 (low white and black levels)

2) QVC (low white levels, excessive color saturation?)

3) TLC (insufficient black level)

4) Comedy Central (insufficent black level)

5) Chiller (insufficient black level)

There are a few other channels that are out of spec and are borderline, but most viewers wouldn't notice the difference and it would be nit picking considering how many things D* must keep track of and maintain.

Again, as far as I can tell the point of origin is not the problem, as a couple of other providers have good vid levels on these program providers.

I have some experience with video engineering during my time at a local NBC affiliate and learned to be sensitive to these levels and their importance, it's the difference between excellent pic quality that "pops", and so so that looks much worse than the scope and the numbers would leave you to believe.

I have found the correct location to contact ,DirecTV Castle Rock Broadcast center in Colorado, and I will be contacting them by phone and snail mail.

If you want more information PM me.

I will update from time to time.

8. dubber deux

dubber deux Icon

Mar 7, 2009
    Juat wanted to post a brief update.

I have attempted to contact the programming suppliers to D* directly. Perhaps I might receive a better result.

I will continue to let all know about SD picture quality issues.

9. dubber deux

dubber deux Icon

Mar 7, 2009
    I also was able to dig this info up

DirecTV (LA Broadcast Center) 12800 Culver Blvd LA, CA.

I have a phone number too. If you want it PM me.

I'm going to try calling them directly. Wish me luck.

10. dubber deux

dubber deux Icon

Mar 7, 2009
  11. dubber deux

dubber deux Icon

Mar 7, 2009
    Bumping this for D* LABC engineers BOC for proof of a number of customers seeing the same thing I have.

12. SatliteHD

SatliteHD AllStar

Jun 9, 2008
    C-span 2 is horrible!

13. dubber deux

dubber deux Icon

Mar 7, 2009

Bump for engineers at LABC BOC.

I've seen C SPAN 2 on Charter Greenville SC, and QVC on both Charter and Northland Cable and the video levels are MUCH better.

D* this needs attention.

14. w6fxj

w6fxj DBSTalk Club Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Being a old broadcast television engineer, I put together two images that accurately show the video levels for both CSPN and CSPN2 as received on DirecTV channels 350 and 351 this morning, May 17, 2009. I used the Adobe Priemere Pro CS3 YC video waveform scope to monitor the output of my DirecTV HR20 receiver's HDMI output set to 1080i and captured with my Decklink HD Extreme video card. It shows CSPN at 86 IRE and CSPN2 at 60 IRE. The spec is 100 IRE. Hopefully both CSPN and DirecTV uplink engineers check these out.

Attached Files:

15. dubber deux

dubber deux Icon

Mar 7, 2009

Wow thank you thank you thank you w6fxj!!!!!!!!! Well done!!!!!!

I will be sending a link to this page to ellen.filipiak@directv.com

A number of other channels are out of NTSC spec as well Comedy Central, QVC, TLC, Chiller, LINK TV .......

16. tcusta00

tcusta00 Active Member

Dec 31, 2007
    I'd suggest using your contacts in the BOC department (whatever that is) since they're know what this means and the CSRs in Ellen's office probably won't.

17. dubber deux

dubber deux Icon

Mar 7, 2009

(BOC) Broadcast Operations Center, part of (LABC) Los Angeles Broadcast Center.

I'm certainly going to give it a try. I was also trying to allow D* chain of command to do its job.

18. dubber deux

dubber deux Icon

Mar 7, 2009
    E mail sent to the BOC manager. Will update when I receive a reply.

19. dubber deux

dubber deux Icon

Mar 7, 2009
    Well it's been a couple of weeks since I e mailed my internal contact and have heard nothing in reply. I ain't going away D*. At least it would be professional if they would offer somekind of reply to my query.

20. LI-SVT

LI-SVT Icon

May 18, 2006
    I do hope your requests get answered. I agree that video levels on the standard def channels need some work.