1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

c31 and casio projector probem

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by sincerity, Sep 6, 2013.

1. Sep 6, 2013 #1 of 17
    sincerity

sincerity New Member

Feb 4, 2008
    Hello well installed today. Replaced an old hr21 which worked fine. Projector is a casio xj140. I cant get it to display. Have tried all rresolutins. Have another tv using hdmi splitter and it works fine. When c31 powers on or restarts splash screen shows on casio. Also briefly the guide banner displays until signal comes in then drops to no signal detected. Any ideas for me? What would be different in terms of output of c31 vs hr21?

Full disclosure I have had hdmi signal probs in past but hr21 always worked unless I switched to sd by holding exit key. Then it wouldnt work until I switched back to hd. Also havent ever been able to get ps3 or tablet to show on pj.

Edit just tried laptop via hdmi and worked

2. Sep 6, 2013 #2 of 17
    harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    It is my understanding that the GenieMinis flag everything with HDCP.

3. Sep 6, 2013 #3 of 17
    inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Yeah, I think its an hdcp issue. You need to get the component cable and hook it up with component cables. Its also likely why you had issues with the hr21.

4. Sep 7, 2013 #4 of 17
    JosephB

JosephB Icon

Nov 14, 2005
    Birmingham, AL
    Try taking the HDMI splitter/switch out of the equation. Go directly from the C31 to the projector and see what happens.

1 person likes this.
  5. Sep 7, 2013 #5 of 17
    inkahauts

Nov 13, 2006
    Try taking the HDMI splitter/switch out of the equation. Go directly from the C31 to the projector and see what happens.

I complete missed the splitter. Those things are hated by hdcp most the time. I agree yank that and see what happens.

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk mobile app

6. Sep 7, 2013 #6 of 17
    sincerity

sincerity New Member

Feb 4, 2008
    Okay great will try today and check. Guess hdcp could be reason roku ps3 tablet etc won't display...thanks and I will post results once I get a break from kids today :)

7. Sep 7, 2013 #7 of 17
    sincerity

sincerity New Member

Feb 4, 2008
    alright, so here's what happened. I wired straight from the c31 to the projector via hdmi and no dice. I have another c31 that isn't set up yet....plugged it in without Dtv service, and it displayed the directv searching for server page THROUGH the hdmi splitter, but not directly wired. Getting frustrated as this is my main projector in my bar! any other ideas I can try? I have heard this splitter bypasses hdcp?
    http://www.amazon.com/CVID-BG-520-splitter-switcher-XBOX360/dp/B0089DSLMY/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

8. Sep 7, 2013 #8 of 17
  9. Sep 7, 2013 #9 of 17
    inkahauts

Nov 13, 2006
    That's it? No component either? You may need to get a h25 instead then. You have any other receivers you could connect to it and try as a test that wouldn't be to much trouble? Really seems like a hdcp issue.

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

10. inkahauts

Nov 13, 2006
    Ok after flipping through the manual for a min, I'd say you could try the component cable connection as well, if you have them. Look through the manual to learn how to hook that up, its via the pc styl connection, you need the right cord.

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

11. sincerity

sincerity New Member

Feb 4, 2008
    If it's indeed HDCP, why would the 42" element led display just fine in the same hdmi sequence using another port on the hdmi splitter?

if that's the case, then I guess this is my thinking...

so for the genie box,
    http://www.monoprice.com/Product/?c_id=114&cp_id=11402&cs_id=1140202&p_id=4009&seq=1&format=1#largeimage
    plus a component extender, and then the 10 pin component out of genie

will take care of the video. Now the audio would need something like this right?
    http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10218&cs_id=1021804&p_id=666&seq=1&format=2

so if that will work the genie is set.

the PS3 which is on the other side of the room however, is a different path I have yet to explore.

12. sincerity

sincerity New Member

Feb 4, 2008
    Even further in theory, I could use componenet out of c31 to projector only...then HDMi out, to the splitter just in reverse to the two other tvs....I think that may do it. Wow this is complicated :p

13. inkahauts

Nov 13, 2006
    Ok the reason it's not working is your projector isn't hdcp compliant so when the splitter is switched to the projector it kills it.

As for both hdmi and component at the same
    Time unless the hdmi connected tv is on too its not going to work.

14. JosephB

JosephB Icon

Nov 14, 2005
    Birmingham, AL
    Some devices have better tolerances for handshake issues than others. You can have the same setup of splitters and extenders and sources, and with two different displays one may work without issue and one may not. Unfortunately in the world of interoperability between manufacturers this is something that you have to deal with

15. texasbrit

texasbrit Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2006
    The only real solution to this is to use a powered HDMI splitter like the one from Monoprice. Connect one output to the HDTV connected by HDMI. The splitter will maintain the HDMI compliance even if the Tv is off. Leave the other output empty. Then connect the projector using component video.

16. sincerity

sincerity New Member

Feb 4, 2008
    thanks for all the replies....good to know my issue isn't an isolated one with regards to hdcp. texasbrit I think that's precisely what I will do. I already have a powered hdmi splitter from the hr21 days when it functioned properly. Again, thanks for the insight I will update once my cables arrive.

17. inkahauts

Nov 13, 2006
    thanks for all the replies....good to know my issue isn't an isolated one with regards to hdcp. texasbrit I think that's precisely what I will do. I already have a powered hdmi splitter from the hr21 days when it functioned properly. Again, thanks for the insight I will update once my cables arrive.

Good luck. Component will work but its still iffy with hdmi splitters simply because some will
    Work and some won't. Hope yours does. Let us know!