1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

C31 does not see remote play lists?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by gregturek, Dec 3, 2012.

1. Dec 3, 2012 #1 of 15
    gregturek

gregturek New Member

May 7, 2011
    First, let me apologise if this has been discussed, but I was not able to find it.

We have an HR34, 3 - HR24s, H23, and a Samsung RVU client. We just activated the C31 for a TV in the kitchen. It works OK, but can only see the local play list from the HR34. The HR34 can see all of the HR24 play lists, and each HR24 can see all of the other HR24s play lists plus the HR34 play list given the appropriate filering.

The C31 has the option to filer the play list to all or local only as on the HR DVRs, but changing the filer makes no difference in the programs listed on the C31.

With the DTV activation rep on the phone he was unable to fix this and after about 30 minutes asked for help and returned saying this doesn't work. This doesn't make sense. If the only play list you can see is on the HR34, then it makes no sense to filter the play list from the 31, which is available by hitting the yellow button while viewing the list.

The rep reset our HR24s, and the C31, but not the HR34. This had no effect. Is this a software bug, or do I have to reset/reboot in a particular order?

Does anyone have remote play lists working on the C31?

Thanks for your help!
    Greg

2. Dec 3, 2012 #2 of 15
    veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    It may be a software issue, but even if you could see them [mine does] you can't yet play them from the C31.
    That will take another software update, which has yet to be functional or seen.

3. Dec 4, 2012 #3 of 15
    damondlt

damondlt New Member

Feb 27, 2006
    Newfoundland...
    Thats a HUGE downfall! That sealed the deal on me ever getting a C31. Never happen.

They should have just giving the H25s a software update to do exactly what these clients do. Atleast they bring a tuner with them.

4. Dec 4, 2012 #4 of 15
    veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    I think that would be hard to implement, as RVU is completely different than MRV. I don't think the H25 has the hardware to support both, and then how would it know which to use, if it had it?

5. Dec 4, 2012 #5 of 15
    damondlt

damondlt New Member

Feb 27, 2006
    Newfoundland...
    The H 25's ask you now what DVR do you want to record too.
    They record where you tell them too. It would be no different.

If I want my H25 to record and watch anything off either DVR in my house they can!

6. Dec 4, 2012 #6 of 15
    veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    You know understand or have experience it seems with how these work and what the differences are.

7. Dec 4, 2012 #7 of 15
    damondlt

damondlt New Member

Feb 27, 2006
    Newfoundland...
    I know how they work. The clients Are fully functional DVRs, But they use the HR 34's Tuners to do it. But guess what, they can't see the other DVRs in your system, then I don't see the point.

The H25's can!
    If a client box can 2 live tuners from and HR 34, why can't the H25 use one.

8. Dec 4, 2012 #8 of 15
    veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    You turn on a H25, it looks at the SWiM and using its internal tuner as it boots.

You turn on a C31, it looks for a HR34, then checks the client status, then "logs in" and uses the software/hardware of the 34 to supply video and the GUI.

Completely different protocol.

9. Dec 4, 2012 #9 of 15
    damondlt

damondlt New Member

Feb 27, 2006
    Newfoundland...
    I understand. But you say" Looks"

Thats Software, Not hardware.

If they stuck a tuner in a client, how much difference would it make. It would be an H25.

I don't see the Value in a client.

HR34 with 3 Clients. Only 4 can watch Live TV, and only 1 recording can be done durring. Thats a problem!
    So to avoid this, one would add another HR24 to their setup, But guess what... Clients can't utilize this at all.
    Thats a problem!

HR34 + 3 H25 4 can watch live tv, and 4 can record at the same time. Problem solved, So you can't rewind live TV or Pause it. Big deal. Hit the red Record button, Problem solved!

10. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    I think this would be more like trying to boot a PC with Windows & Linux at the same time. Two completely different types of an operating system.

11. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Yes, diff strokes, diff folks.

Many household will never have that many watching live TV, or even recorded programs at once. Some of us seldom watch any live TV. But for your scenario, it looks like the extra tuners are needed.

12. damondlt

damondlt New Member

Feb 27, 2006
    Newfoundland...
    Maybe, but fact is Clients can't view anything other then the HR34, So what happends if you have the need for 6 rooms HD DVR MRV, What does directv Give you. They can't give you 2 HR 34s and 4 C31s? So what happends in 5 and 6 MRV room installs?

13. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    DirecTV's basic focus is for a four room install.
    "The numbers show" this covers most customers.
    In time, things may develop beyond this.

14. damondlt

damondlt New Member

Feb 27, 2006
    Newfoundland...
    I agree.

15. damondlt

damondlt New Member

Feb 27, 2006
    Newfoundland...
    I agree, I'm sure at some point more HR34's will be available to customers. But they still would need to access each other.