C61 Wired Genie (Strange Question)

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by tncolts, Jun 20, 2021.

1. tncolts

tncolts Cool Member

Oct 5, 2007
    I have a HR44, and 3 HR24 (I’ve had this setup for several years), and two wired C61 clients. I have the SWM16 setup with the slimline dish.

The strange question is: is there any way to make both clients not able to record, but still able to watch any and all of the Whole Home stuff?

I’m asking because the person that uses the two clients is illiterate and doesn’t had no idea when he’s recording. I know… like I said, it’s a very weird question.

However, I don’t know the answer; so hence m, the asking.

Thank you all for ANY AND ALL suggestions.

Kindest Regards.

2. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    E.Mdtrn Sea
    I would take his remotes, open a shell, and put small piece of scotch tape to PCB contacts related to DVR functions, at least under Record button

3. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    The record button doesn't cover much ground in terms of how recordings are typically made.

4. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Yeah only option is to modify the remote to prevent that function.

5. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Gold Club DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    So you can't select a future show in the guide and record it without pressing the record key?

6. codespy

codespy Go Pack Go!!!! DBSTalk Club

Mar 29, 2006
    Seasonal
    He could render the ‘Select’ button useless too, that would help that issue. :)

7. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    E.Mdtrn Sea
    it would affect many functions beside make records :(

8. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Gold Club DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    True. But if the goal is to prevent all "easy" methods of starting a recording one needs to do more than disable the "record" button.

DVR service is disabled on most commercial accounts, but I don't believe that option is available on residential accounts (and would likely be account level - killing all recording not just on the clients). It would not be a bad "parental control" option to add to clients, but it seems that open systems (share everyone's recordings and every whole home receiver/client can record) are more common than a segregated design.