C61K Blackout/Skip Problem? Potential Fix!

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by jborchel, Jan 5, 2019.

1. jborchel

jborchel Legend

Oct 7, 2005
    Anybody have the black skip problem? This is where the C61 blacks out for a second or two when playing a recording. It's well discussed on some Directv/ATT threads. I may have stumbled on to a fix. At least it works for me; so far.

The problem occurred on just one of my two C61's. The one which was in a remote video room where I had to string about 50 feet of coax between the HS17 and the C61. When the installer put the system in he coiled about 15 feet of coax from the 5-Way coax splitter to the entry point in my wall. From the wall it was 50 feet up the wall and through the attic to reach the C61. So recently it occurred to me that maybe the extra distance might be the issue. I replaced the 15 feet with a 6 footer and voila, the black skip has disappeared.

Now one other fix is the possible culprit. During the change of cable I tightened down the fittings at both ends of all cables and the coax splitter. A couple of them moved slightly. That could have been the problem. Doing two fixes at one pass is a bad debugging technique but right now I don't care because I no longer have any black skips. So if you have the problem follow this line:

1. Does my black skipping occur on a long coax connection? If so, can I shorten it?
    2. Check all the connections. Are they nice and tight?

Good luck.

2. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    Cable distance was not your issue. The ends probably were

3. jborchel

jborchel Legend

Oct 7, 2005
    I think you are probably right.

4. jborchel

jborchel Legend

Oct 7, 2005
    You are probably right.

5. LlamaLarry

LlamaLarry Legend

Apr 21, 2007
    Northern VA
    I'll definitely check this out as it bugs the crap out of my watching the C61K in my bedroom.

ETA: Holy crap my sig is old.

6. jborchel

jborchel Legend

Oct 7, 2005
    Well, the loose coupling is not the problem. They are all very tight and I still have the problem. So I've ordered an in-line amplifier to see if that might work. As I recall, we have always said that in the digital world the signal is either on or off. Maybe the signal needs boosting. I'll find out when the part arrives. The salesman didn't know if the digital signal fell within the range of the amplifier which is 50 - 2150 MHz. Does a digital signal even have a MHz frequency?

7. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    it does
    at 2 MHz as SWiM [two ways !] control channels

8. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    You do not need an amplifier unless you have very long (hundreds of feet) run between the dish and the receivers. In any other case not only will it not help but there's a chance it can make things worse.

9. jborchel

jborchel Legend

Oct 7, 2005
    We'll see. I'll try it and see what happens.