C61K Issues

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Douglas Strate, Nov 28, 2020.

1. Douglas Strate

Douglas Strate New Member

Nov 20, 2020
    I had Directv installed at my house a week ago. I have the HS17, 1 wireless mini and 2 C61K boxes in my setup. I have an audio popping noise issue on both of the 61K clients. If you do the 30 second skip it pops when video resumes, changing channels will produce a popping sound sometimes, clicking and selecting a different channel in the guide will cause the same issue. It happens on both 4K boxes. One of them is connected into a Marantz SR8015 receiver and the other directly to a TV. Note the wireless mini doesn't exhibit this issue. The sfotware version on the 61K clients is 0x13f5. Anyone else have the audio popping issues? The popping only exists in above scenarios and not while watching content. I have called DTV support and they don't even know what version of software the 4K clients should be on. That is scary and lame. How can a support department not even know what the current version of software is? I do have a tech scheduled to come out here in a week. Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Gobbincanecandy and MysteryMan like this.
  2. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    I have a HR54-200 (0x1420) - C61K-700 (0x13f5) connected to a Sony STR-DN1080 (M41.R.0516) and began experiencing what you describe about 15 days ago.

3. Douglas Strate

Nov 20, 2020
    Looks like you are on the same software as me on the 4K client. I am thinking this is a software issue and the DTV tech will not be able to solve the issue.

4. MysteryMan

May 17, 2010
    USA
    My Sony STR-DN1080 received a software update recently which made me think that was causing the issue but now that you have posted the same issue using a different AVR has me thinking it's the C61K-700 causing the issue.

5. Douglas Strate

Nov 20, 2020
    I can tell you with certainty it isn't your receiver causing the issue. I have a C61K connected directly to a TV and it has the exact same popping in audio. Only difference is that it is more pronounced through a sound system.

6. MysteryMan

May 17, 2010
    USA
    I keep logs on DIRECTV software updates. My C61K-700 was upgraded to 0x13f5 on 26 August 20. It certainly seems to be the C61K-700 causing the issue but in my case if it's a software issue why did it take 90 days to for the issue to begin?

7. Douglas Strate

Nov 20, 2020
    You have a valid point there. What else do you think would cause this issue? I can safely say it isn't a receiver issue in my case and my wireless mini definitely doesn't have any audio popping.

8. MysteryMan

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Audio issues are nothing new with the C61K-700. I've had mine since June 2016. Back then the C61K-700 was afflicted with the infamous audio drop out issue which took DIRECTV the better part of a year to resolve. You described perfectly the same issues I began experiencing about 15 days ago. The common denominator is the C61K-700. The cause remains to be a puzzlement.

9. Douglas Strate

Nov 20, 2020
    It is probably pointless to have a tech come out here based on your experience with the 4K clients. The only resolution it seems is to have the 4K clients replaced with wireless minis and this defeats the purpose. For what little 4K content is available it might be worth doing this. I don't think DirecTv will fix this issue any time soon. I had Frontier FIOS earlier this year and I regret ever stopping that service. The cost just didn't justify the service anymore and now you can't get Frontier FIOS TV anymore. After I stopped this service I went to Dish Network and that was a total joke. Horrible PQ and the user interface was like something out of the Stone Ages. Got out of the contract and switched to DirecTV. Definitely better PQ and a much better user interface. For what DirecTV charges the service should be flawless IMO.

10. MysteryMan

May 17, 2010
    USA
    I have a question. When did your Marantz SR8015 receive it's latest software update?

11. Douglas Strate

Nov 20, 2020
    It was a few weeks ago and it was prior to DTV service being installed.

12. MysteryMan

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Both our AVRs recently received new software. Perhaps there is something in their new software that is causing the issue with the C61K-700? And what about the TV your other C61K-700 is directly connected to, when did it receive it's latest software update?

13. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    Going to point out here. 3 C61K. All directly connected to TV’s. No audio issues

Gary Toma likes this.
  14. Douglas Strate

Nov 20, 2020
    Ironically a couple of weeks ago. Also, my LG C8 OLED 77 inch tv just got a firmware update probably 2 weeks ago as well. It is hard to imagine though that 4 different software updates all caused the same issue with the 4K clients. I have an old Panasonic Plasma TV which doesn't receive updates so when I get some time I could hook up a 4K client there and see if the same issue exists. That is probably the best way to figure this out now.

15. MysteryMan

May 17, 2010
    USA
    I'm going to send you a PM in a few minutes.

16. dod1450

dod1450 Legend

Dec 16, 2009

Another issue I also had seen lately is that there seems to a "buffer" issue. The video will stop and start again. my C61K-700 hooks up via my WIRE network.

17. MysteryMan

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Try resetting your DIRECTV equipment to see if it solves your buffer issue.

18. Gobbincanecandy

Gobbincanecandy New Member

Nov 28, 2020
    I would say that the people who do the support are probably scammers because yesterday there was a scam out there on At t devices. (Direct TV)

19. Douglas Strate

Nov 20, 2020
    No, the person I spoke to was in support at ATT/DirecTV.

20. Gary Toma

Gary Toma UNIX

Mar 22, 2006
    Three C61K's here (same release as you) and no popping from any client. All clients are wired. Two connect to displays, one connects via optical to A/V amplifier.

compnurd likes this.