C61K limitations?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by dreadlk, Jan 28, 2019.

1. dreadlk

dreadlk Hall Of Fame

Sep 18, 2007
    Earth
    Last night I was watching the CNN show on the lost Triplets using the C61K when suddenly at 8pm it went to record a 4K show that i had setup a schedule for. I was surprised when it suddenly switched channels on me.
    It seems like it cannot record a 4K show while you watch another show? Honestly I did not try anything because I was in the middle of an important scene in the show so I switched to the HR54 and when that powered on the picture had no audio and the video kept disappearing for a few seconds, so I switched to the HR24 and that worked fine.

Later on I tried recording a 4K show again, this time with the HR54 on before starting and everything worked fine on the HR54. Very odd that it was breaking up when switched on in the middle of a 4K recording!

2. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    The HR54 can handle one 4K program at a time, for both watching live and recording. The HS17 can handle two. The HR54 also supports only five tuners for live/recording at once, so if you already had some combination of four recordings + live viewing on the HR54 or other powered on clients, it would have to steal that tuner to record the fifth.

Presumably future iterations of the HS17 will allow more than two 4K programs at once, in practice it doesn't matter since Directv has so little 4K content today.

3. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    The 54 can't handle an HD program and a 4K program at the same time?

Rich

dreadlk likes this.
  4. dreadlk

dreadlk Hall Of Fame

Sep 18, 2007
    Earth
    Rich I think you meant to say the C61K cannot handle a 4K and HD at the same time??
    You can use the combo and watch an HD channel on the hR54 while the C61K is recording a 4K program.

Good thing I found this out now as it might have been a big issue if it had happened during one of our more beloved shows. I have to say the whole HR54 and C61K combo thing are kind of wacky. I look at the HR54 and wonder why does it even need a C61K to watch and record in 4K! Seems like they started to make a 4K DVR and then changed their minds and decided it needed to operate with clients.

5. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I know so little about D* and 4K that I had to ask in that manner. You just cleared that up.

Rich

6. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    IIRC, Dish manages to do 4K with one DVR. Why D* went this route is beyond me. Only thing I can think of is an opportunity to charge for one more device monthly. I know that's cynical but...

Rich

7. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    Because I think their grand plan is to go with just Genie 2 for 4K users and the C61K for 4K clients to cut down on development costs. And if the customer went that way then they don't have to pay the extra monthly client charge since the HS17 doesn't count against your receiver charge.

8. dreadlk

dreadlk Hall Of Fame

Sep 18, 2007
    Earth

One person on here mentioned in another thread that when they designed the HR54 the HDMI 2.0 specs had not been finalized so they could not design the HDMI port to handle 4K and instead waited and built the 2.0 spec into the C61K client.

Who knows maybe @RAD is right or this other guy is right. Either way the system is just very oddly designed.

9. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I understand the grand plan. They're gonna jam that thing down everybody's throat. OMG...

Rich

10. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Just like they seem to have designed the HRs with an SSD in mind (they do work better with SSDs) and stuck HDDs in them because of the cost. That was D*, of course. A company that seems like a shining light in a dark sky now.

Rich

11. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    There's no way they designed them with SSDs in mind. They just work better with devices that have lower latency, hardly a surprise. A PC you bought in 2000 would run like lightning compared to what it used to if you swapped out its hard drive for an SSD, but that doesn't mean it was designed for an SSD.

12. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I wrote: "Just like they seem to have designed the HRs with an SSD in mind", wasn't a fact, didn't mean that. Still seems a bit suspicious.

Rich