C61K losing sync with TV

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Steveknj, Oct 16, 2017.

1. Steveknj

Steveknj Icon

Nov 14, 2006
    I currently have C61K hooked up to my main TV (for 4K) linked to an HR54 on our bedroom. Every so often my C61K loses sync with the TV (I have the receiver hooked up through AVR to TV) when I change channels. The screen blanks out waits a few seconds and then I just get the no signal from input screen on my TV (LG6500 55"). Sometimes it comes back, other times it just sits there like that. I never had this issue when I had this TV hooked directly to the HR44 I had previously. I have tried native and non native resolution, a few different HDMI cables (using the one DirecTV left and one of my own). It's annoying. Why would this happen with this box and not the old HR44?

2. texasbrit

texasbrit Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2006
    Try it without the AVR and see if you still have the problem.

3. tegelad

tegelad New Member

Nov 15, 2006
    I have seen this, hiccups on replay, and freeze situations also where I have to switch to live TV and go back to get things working. C61k to HS 17.

I am trying to get it to replicate on the C41 to see if it is a client issue. Not sure if others have seen it too.

4. I WANT MORE

I WANT MORE CowboySooner

Oct 3, 2006
    Northern plains
    Make sure you are using a 18g certified premium HDMI cable.

5. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    E.Mdtrn Sea
    damn !
    those marketing people can't swallow normal engineering description, make ambigious terms :(
    18g - is it 18x of gravitational acceleration ?
    18g - is it 18 grams of gold used for the cable ?
    or it's 18 GHz carrier ?
    or 18 Gbps ?

6. Steveknj

Steveknj Icon

Nov 14, 2006
    I used the cable the installer used initially. Wouldn't they give me the most compatible cable? I believe the cables I'm using are 18g premium cables, bought from monoprice, which is usually a great source of all types of cables. Why wouldn't this have happened using the HR44? (for context, I had this TV/AVR combo hooked directly to the HR44 rather than using a client but had to use a client to get 4K).

7. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Gbps, Pete.

Rich

I WANT MORE likes this.
  8. texasbrit

texasbrit Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2006
    So back to my question. Does it happen if you remove the AVR?

9. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I'd like to know that too.

Rich

10. tegelad

tegelad New Member

Nov 15, 2006
    As an update, I talked to DirecTV worked through to Case Management, relayed what I had done (won't go into as it was exhaustive), and the guy stated this really sounds like a software bug in the HS17.

Failed with the internal 2TB drive, and with an external Oyen Digital mirrored 5TB Barracuda drive setup
    Degraded and increased failure rate the more tuners that were actively recording, with failures still occurring with a single C61K-HS17 active.
    Native On/Off etc etc

So let the debug games begin ... on a positive note, they immediately credited me $38/mth for 6 months so there might be some smoke around this.

11. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    That $38.00 monthly credit for 6 months is nothing more than a pacifier.

12. I WANT MORE

I WANT MORE CowboySooner

Oct 3, 2006
    Northern plains
    You left out gravitational pull.

13. Steveknj

Steveknj Icon

Nov 14, 2006
    I haven't tried it yet, will probably try over the weekend. But why would this happen with this receiver but NEVER happen on the HR44 using the same exact setup? That's why I'm not convinced that this is an issue with the AVR.

That said, i ordered the certified cables from monoprice and if it's not the AVR which I suspect it isn't, then hopefully it's a cable thing.

It happened again last night and had to shut off TV and receiver (which is what my remote is programed to do) and turn it back on to get it back working.

14. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    E.Mdtrn Sea
    that would be simplest test (to exclude AVR) and you/we will know the critical point soon

15. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Well, he didn't ask for a picture...

Rich

I WANT MORE likes this.
  16. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    What changed from using the 44 to using the 4K setup?

Rich

17. tegelad

tegelad New Member

Nov 15, 2006
    I agree, the interesting thing was I never asked for it, nor was I angry/disturbed so I was surprised.

The pauses that are occurring from all the recordings from that Sunday are getting painful, but to double check my network (I have fibre interconnects, LACP, 10 Gig and trunking) I switched things to all be on the same switch (and still have the pauses).

It will be interesting to see (though I hold no hope given the quality of the field techs) what they do. All I know is I left all the recordings on the DVR to hope to catch it, and I picked up a replacement chassis for the Oyen enclosure, and am ready to pull one of the drives to see if it is a RAID issue, but I will hold off and wait.

One interesting thing I found when reviewing the RAID chipset (jmicron based) is that rebuilds on the chip are limited to 50-100GB an hour, so on a 5TB that drive will be busy for 50-100 hours which is 2-4 days, but since I had the same issue between Sunday's I know that can't be the case ...

18. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    E.Mdtrn Sea
    I'd like your "kind" posts ... you never miss an opportunity to poke in an eye

Rich likes this.
  19. Steveknj

Steveknj Icon

Nov 14, 2006
    I haven't tried it yet, will probably try over the weekend. But why would this happen with this receiver but NEVER happen on the HR44 using the same exact setup? That's why I'm not convinced that this is an issue with the AVR.

That said, i ordered the certified cables from monoprice and if it's not the AVR which I suspect it isn't, then hopefully it's a cable thing.

It happened again last night and had to shut off TV and receiver (which is what my remote is programed to do) and turn it back on to get it back working.
    The C61K is the only change. The old setup had the HR44 connecting through the AVR to the TV. The new setup replaces the HR44 with the C61K (and the HR54 is in a different room, essentially replacing an old HR21 that was in that room. NONE of this happened before when the HR44 was connected. So I think the C61K doesn't handle the handshaking as well as the HR44 used to, and I suspect that it's because there's a lag caused by the C61K having to communicate to the HR54 when a channel is changed rather than the old way where the HR44 would just change the channel on the TV directly.

20. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    E.Mdtrn Sea
    you're talking about milliseconds, right ?