C61K on Non-4K TV?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Badlands, Aug 6, 2019.

1. Badlands

Badlands New Member

Jul 23, 2018
    I had a tech come out yesterday and he replaced my HR44 with an HS17 and put a C61K on my one 4K TV. However, he left the old C31s on my regular TVs, even though they were all supposed to be replaced. I was here and should have been paying more attention, but thought I would check everything before I signed paperwork, but he never asked me to sign anything. When I noticed they weren't replaced, he had already left.

In any event, I contacted customer service and they are going to have a tech come out tomorrow to replace the three C31s. However, she insisted on them being C61Ks, even though it's highly unlikely I'll switch two of the three TVs to 4K in the near future.

So my question is... is there any reason not to use a C61K on a regular TV? In googling, I saw some older messages referencing "nag screens," saying you aren't getting 4K. TV. Are those still a thing and, if so, how annoying are they?

2. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    Why were you getting new minis? Unless you have additional 4K TVs, I would think they would leave the 31s in place.

3. texasbrit

texasbrit Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2006
    Note the C61ks do NOT have component or composite output, you can only use HDMI. So that might be an issue with older TVs.

Badlands likes this.
  4. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    You can use a C61k fine on a non 4K tv. I have two that way

Badlands likes this.
  5. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    nope, it was in a past

Badlands likes this.
  6. Badlands

Badlands New Member

Jul 23, 2018
    I've had the C31s for 5-6 years and asked for new ones since I've had issues with them at times. Plus there is no charge, so I figured I'd go with the newer tech.

7. Badlands

Badlands New Member

Jul 23, 2018
    My TVs have HDMI, so that's not an issue.

Great; thanks for the info!

I'm glad to hear it! That seems like it would have been annoying.

8. bmcleod

bmcleod Mentor

May 13, 2006
    California...
    It wasn’t, you only see it when you reboot or lose power.