C61K-related Question: Is DirecTV's 4K content noticeably better than 1080p?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Patrick G., Oct 17, 2019.

1. Oct 17, 2019 #1 of 117
    Patrick G.

Patrick G. Legend

Sep 9, 2002
    A few months ago, we moved into the brand new house we built. At that time, I had DirecTV installed, servicing a total of eight TVs. I told them I wanted their best, most advanced equipment, regardless of cost. They gave me a Genie 2 and eight wireless genie minis. A short time later, I discovered none of the equipment was 4K compatible, despite the fact that all of my TVs are. So I called and asked about that - why they never mentioned that fact, despite me requesting their "best, most advanced equipment". I wasn't given a good answer, and worse, was told I could not upgrade any of my equipment with 4K-compatible equipment (i.e. C61K) until, like a year. So at the time I just dropped it. Now that football season is upon us, I'm revisiting this because I'd like the best-possible 4K picture for football, at least on one TV - the big one in my primary viewing location.

My questions are:
    1. Can I just purchase a C61K online to replace one of my genie minis to get 4K content?
    2. If yes to #1 above, is it worth it? Will I be able to see a noticeable difference in picture quality when viewing a live event like an NFL game on the C61K vs my existing mini? DirecTV's compression techniques make me question this.
    Thanks in advance!

Last edited: Oct 17, 2019
  2. Oct 17, 2019 #2 of 117
    MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    If you order 4K equipment/service DIRECTV will want to schedule a service call so the tech can swap your LNB for a Reverse Band LNB. The HS17 works with two 4K streams at once so you can have more than one C61K-700 client.

Patrick G. likes this.
  3. Oct 17, 2019 #3 of 117
    Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I'm thinking about upgrading to 4K but I don't want the HS17 system. What bothers me is all the negative postings we've seen about the C61Ks. No matter what we do we can't seem to get away from having to use a C61K. That's the first "con" I have.

The second "con" is the lack of 4K content at this time on D*. Yeah, I do see some football games are coming on now in 4K but they seem to be few and far between. In your case, someone with an HS17, I wouldn't worry about upgrading at this time. In my case I'd want a 54 and I'd keep five HR-24s. I have a feeling I'm gonna be out of luck if I don't get a 54 soon.

Is it worth it? Is there that much difference in PQ? I really don't know. I do see a lot of 4K content when streaming and the difference is noticeable but not the difference we saw when we switched from SD to HD. I'd make the jump in a heartbeat if the difference was that great.

Rich

Patrick G. likes this.
  4. Oct 17, 2019 #4 of 117
    MysteryMan

May 17, 2010
    USA
    If you don't want to use a HS17 then go with a HR54.

Patrick G. likes this.
  5. Oct 17, 2019 #5 of 117
    Patrick G.

Patrick G. Legend

Sep 9, 2002
    Without calling DirecTV or climbing up on my roof, is there a way to confirm my satellite dish is compatible with the C61K?

6. Oct 17, 2019 #6 of 117
    MysteryMan

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Seeing how your now using a HS17 your dish is compatible.

Patrick G. likes this.
  7. Oct 17, 2019 #7 of 117
    RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    A quick way is to run the satellite signal test on the system menus and check to see if you have readings on the 99(cr) satellite. If yes then you have the correct LNB.

Patrick G. and compnurd like this.
  8. Oct 17, 2019 #8 of 117
    Andrew Sullivan

Andrew Sullivan Active Member

Dec 7, 2017
    According to the last two techs that tried to get my first and second c61k to work properly. They both stated that the device is buggy and most techs try to talk customers out of using it. The last one finally swapped the c61k to my bedroom and put the c61 in the living room. The c61 has had zero problems for 5 months.

Patrick G. likes this.
  9. Oct 17, 2019 #9 of 117
    WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2008
    I guessing at the Time you did NOT have a 4K TV? If you Call D* and Request a 4K up grade and Do not have a 4K tv -they will not install a c61K.

Is you Accout Still with D* or has it Changed to AT&T account?

Thay may affect buying a c61K online and having it activated -- Yes -you will notice a Difference --the Thursday Night Foot Ball Games are Great - When shown -you can see the dimples on the foot ball

Since you HAVE a HS-17 --I would Suggest you call D* and up Grade to 4K that way.

Patrick G. and longhorn23 like this.
  10. Oct 17, 2019 #10 of 117
    RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    I have three C61K's on my HS17 and they're all running just duckie on the 1264 firmware level.

11. Oct 17, 2019 #11 of 117
    Andrew Sullivan

Andrew Sullivan Active Member

Dec 7, 2017
    I am jealous RAD. I tried three different techs and they pretty much replaced everything including the HS17 and the C61K. Since I am a major sports nut I am very disappointed to be missing 4K football. I got sound drop every 3 or 4 minutes. Just for 2 seconds but replacing all the cables and trying different HDMI inputs the last tech just said it couldn't be fixed. As I mentioned, he was the third tech.

12. Oct 18, 2019 #12 of 117
    MysteryMan

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Back in 2016 there was a known audio drop out issue with the C61K-700 that took DIRECTV quite awhile to correct with a software update. Since then my C61K-700 has been issue free. Are you using other equipment (Audio Video Receiver, Sound Bar) with your DIRECTV set up?

13. Oct 18, 2019 #13 of 117
    Athlon646464

Athlon646464 Yada Yada Yada DBSTalk Gold Club

Feb 23, 2007
    Uxbridge, MA
    Is there much of a difference in PQ? A great question that has a complicated answer. In the end, the question is "Will YOU see much of a difference?"

Well, that depends on a number of factors. For an answer to that question, you're in luck @Rich, because you have access to 4k content from other sources. For the most part, the content delivered by D* is as good as it is from Prime Video or Netflix (even better from D* if your internet connection is 'slow' for those streaming services requirements for 4k). As you know, D* pretty much passes on the signal it receives from the source, so it can be source dependent. I will say much of it is noticeably better than the same content on the equivalent HD channel. Especially the live sporting events.

So - if you notice a difference now, you will also notice a difference with D* 4k.

Could it be better at times? Sure, but that's on the broadcaster - not D* (like FOX, for example, which is well documented elsewhere here). But it's still better than the HD version.

Except for the frame rate bug with my C61K, I haven't had any issues with my C61K at all, by the way. And you know that has been fixed. YMMV.

As for folks who do not have 4k access now from other sources and are wondering how much of a difference they might see, as I said 'it depends'. Some of the factors are dependent on your TV, how it is calibrated when it receives a 4k signal, YOUR VIEWING DISTANCE, VIEWING ANGLE, and viewing environment.

Some brands of TV's are better than others, of course - the better ones will show more of an improvement from HD to 4k. However, you may have the 'best' 4k TV on the market, but if you don't set up the 4k HDR menu section of your TV properly, and simply use your new TV as it comes 'out of the box', well, you may not see much of a difference. And I believe that's the case for many folks.

You may also have the best 4k TV on the market, a 65" OLED beauty, and have it professionally calibrated, but then sit 12' from it. Will you see much of a difference? No, you will not. Most TV manufacturers recommend you sit about 5' form a TV like that to get the most out of 4k. And that is disconcerting for most folks. By the way, I did not say you must have your TV professionally calibrated, I said that to make my point here.

If your room is super bright, and your TV is not set up for that environment, you will not see much of a difference either. If you have one of the very popular 'budget' 4k TV's and sit any more than 15 degrees to the side of direct center - you will not see much of a difference. If your TV is above your fireplace (dumb idea for other reasons, by the way), then you are way off from looking at it straight on. Only OLED's do not lose quality when viewing from off center.

I could go on and on, but you get my point. There is no way for anyone here to know if YOU will see a difference. Yes, we could quote the technical specs and say 'look - a lot more pixels - it's gonna look great!' - but you could be ruining that technical advantage with your set up and environment.

So, when you hear someone say 'I don't see much of a difference', or 'it sucks', well, my guess is that is more on the viewer and their set up than on D*. I know that makes me sound like a D* fanboy, but most of you know how far that is from reality. :D

I have an LG 65" OLED, by the way. It's about 7' from the couch we sit on when watching TV (22' x 24' family room). The TV is mounted on the wall with the center of the TV at eye height when we are sitting on our couch. Can I see a difference with 4k content? Absolutely!

In our bedroom we have a TCL 46" Roku 4k TV. It's mounted on the wall across from the foot of our bed about 10' away from our heads when in bed. The difference between HD and 4k on that TV is not as noticeable as it is on our LG. It's better, but not as striking. If I stand closer and switch back and forth, the difference becomes more noticeable for sure.

Also, if I move off the bed and am more than about 20 degrees off center from that TV the picture becomes extremely washed out very quickly. It's perfect for our bedroom, but would absolutely suck in our family room.

There is no viewing angle issue up to about 85 degrees with an OLED.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2019
    Brad_73 likes this.
  14. Oct 18, 2019 #14 of 117
    richall01

richall01 Godfather

Sep 30, 2007
    South Georgia
    Make sure your HDMI cables are HDR, upgraded mine and WOW the picture!!

15. Oct 18, 2019 #15 of 117
    I WANT MORE

I WANT MORE CowboySooner

Oct 3, 2006
    Northern plains
    There is no such thing as HDR HDMI cables.

Brad_73 and Athlon646464 like this.
  16. Oct 18, 2019 #16 of 117
    P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Cable cannot be "HDR", it's just should support 18 GHz bandwidth.

TJNash and I WANT MORE like this.
  17. Oct 18, 2019 #17 of 117
    P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    I would guess it's new marketing plot for milk money from innocent customers :(

18. Oct 18, 2019 #18 of 117
    Athlon646464

Athlon646464 Yada Yada Yada DBSTalk Gold Club

Feb 23, 2007
    Uxbridge, MA
    LOL - I see so many examples of stuff like this. It confirms the point I made above about when folks claim they don't see much of a difference so D*'s 4k sucks. You just don't know what they're really looking at.

19. Oct 18, 2019 #19 of 117
    P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Then let advise then to check TV INFO for presence of HDR substream

20. Oct 18, 2019 #20 of 117
    MysteryMan

May 17, 2010
    USA
    The Premium HDMI Cable Certification Program Label.png Any HDMI cable that has this seal is certified to handle the highest quality signals currently available.

I WANT MORE likes this.