Cable boxes wirelessly?

Discussion in 'Cable TV Discussion' started by repoman75, Mar 9, 2020.

1. repoman75

repoman75 Legend

Jan 27, 2008
    So I'm thinking about getting rid of Directv, however, one of the reasons I stay is because of the wireless genie - I have one on my patio (and no, I'm not running coax out there).

So if I switch to cable (RCN), can I have a box in the basement say (which is the room right next to the walkout patio), and use this device to stream to the patio? I assume it would need to be a separate box vs. a cable box used for the basement TV?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005H3AU1Y/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3OI2CVBA9DB25&psc=1

2. ericknolls

ericknolls Active Member

Aug 18, 2013
    New York,...
    How about purchasing a smart TV and using your WiFi to stream off of it? You wouldn't need another client unless you are talking about seeing the same programming from your main Genie on the patio tv. I know my friend has a Spectrum tv box in her apartment but she can use the Spectrum tv app on her smart TV and see the same programming on her big tv using her wifi. DIRECTV'S app works on your tablet and smartphone unless you know how to cast the app to your smart TV. It operates differently than your Genie.

3. AZ.

AZ. Legend

Mar 27, 2011
    Get a sling box....I do know that Firesticks has a sling app, Im sure many others do

4. repoman75

repoman75 Legend

Jan 27, 2008
    I think you're missing my point here... I am thinking about getting RCN cable. I assume you get a cable box for every TV. I have a TV on the patio with no coax wire - is there anyway to plug the box to a coax somewhere in the house, but then wirelessly stream cable TV from the box (via a wireless HDMI cable or something) to the TV outside? Not sure if that would even work as I probably would have to change the channel from the box only.

5. Rickt1962

Rickt1962 Legend

Jul 17, 2012
    You can use a HDhomerun box with cable card and it will send it over WIFI in HD