1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cable Keynote: Treat high-paying customers better than low-paying

Discussion in 'General Satellite Discussion' started by FTA Michael, Jul 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FTA Michael

FTA Michael Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2002
    At the CTAM (Cable & Telecommunications Association for Marketing) Summit, the CEO of Harrah's said in his keynote address that cable operators should treat people like him, a $230/month(!) customer, better than they treat basic-cable customers.

"Treat me differently! I deserve it!” Gary Loveman said to audience applause.

Full Multichannel News story: http://www.multichannel.com/index.asp?layout=micrositeArticle&industryid=47550&articleid=CA6462978

2. Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002
    :up: :up: Bravo, Bravo, Amen! A-men! Finaly someone gets it. As I've been saying this for a long time now.

3. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    The problem, of course, with this in actual practice... is that the high-paying customers are much fewer than the low-paying customers... so while losing a high-paying customer hurts... losing a whole lot of low-paying customers could be much worse.

In my eyes, all customers should be treated as equally as possible. By that I mean, there should be a basic level of customer service that applies to all customers. Any preferrential treatment beyond that should only apply as makes sense. A person with a DVR, for instance, receives a different level of technical support than a person without a DVR because the technology is different and requires some different expertise. I would also be ok with long-term customers getting some perks that a brand new customer may not get at first.

But simply because a person pays more each month shouldn't entitle that person to better customer service. If they pay for a higher tier of service then we are in a different territory, since some maintenance plans provide for a customer to pay for a higher than basic level of support.

4. Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    For starters, treat all good customers well. (The customers that cost more money than they bring in, dump.) Then one can be free to treat great customers a bit better.

Cheers,
    Tom

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.