1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cable TV too?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by hotspace, Aug 30, 2011.

1. hotspace

hotspace Cool Member

May 24, 2006
    Is it possible to have an installer run the Sat signal over the same line as Cable? Reason...I have a Tivo that I use for viewing movies stored on an External Hard Drive that is connected to my computer. All done wirelessly. If I can keep Cabletv...at lifeline cable (bare minnimum) It'll make it easier to justify keeping the Tivo hooked up. Or, is it possible to stream movies to the HD DVR Directv offers?

2. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    No, they can't share the coax. The streaming ability on DirecTV is very poor for the most part. If you can, then look into a streaming box like WD Live or even a Blu Ray player that has streaming capabilities.

3. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    "Yes & No".
    While not supported, and not always possible, in some cases they can share the same coax. If you're on a SWiM DirecTV setup, CATV can be diplexed in, but you also lose the ability to use the DirecTV coax networking.

4. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    Thank God for VOS. I knew I should've waited until he answered.

5. hotspace

hotspace Cool Member

May 24, 2006
    Thanks guys....Looks like I'll be utilizing the Tivo with a really good interior OTA Antenna. Anyone have suggestions for that?