1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cable

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by ESA1178, Dec 14, 2011.

1. ESA1178

ESA1178 AllStar

Dec 3, 2011
    I have directTV. The current cable needs to be rerouted under the eaves for cosmetic reasons. I tried coupling the existing cable so that it would reach around the house, from box to dish. But I guess the box doesn't like the coupling, cause I get no signal. When I restore the complete (non coupled) cable from dish to box, signal is back. Can anyone suggest a good cable that I should buy for DirecTV/HD? I intend to install about 200' Should I be looking at RG6? Or is there a better cable out there?

Thanks!

Mark

2. bobnielsen

bobnielsen Éminence grise

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    RG6, solid copper center conductor should be adequate. Use compression connectors.

3. ndole

ndole Problem Solver

Aug 26, 2009
    It's probably not the coax, it's probably your fittings that are goofing up. Make sure that there is no metal braid wrapped around the center conductor. Not even just a little bit.

4. ESA1178

ESA1178 AllStar

Dec 3, 2011
    Thanks guys...
    Can I also I go with RG59 Compression RCA Connectors? I have a choice of CATV or Quad Shield for the same price, I'm assuming the quad shield is better?

Mark

5. bobnielsen

bobnielsen Éminence grise

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    RG59 compression connectors won't fit RG6. Quad Shield is probably overkill (and it may be more difficult to attach the connectors).

6. ESA1178

ESA1178 AllStar

Dec 3, 2011
    Thanks again...

Looks like a compression tool is needed for the connectors. I hate to buy it just for 2 connectors. I don't have a crimping tool on my regular cable. Can the connectors be screwed onto the cable the same?

Mark

7. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    Do yourself a big favor and either buy a pre-made cable, or buy the tools to do it correctly, "and" learn how to do it.

8. dualsub2006

dualsub2006 Icon

Aug 28, 2007
    You can go to Home Depot and get a Klein compression tool for $20.

And compression connectors are quite difficult to get on quad shield cable, ask me how I know.

I bought a screwdriver like tool that has a male connector on the back end. I screwed the compression connector on to that, pushed with the tool and they went right on.

9. ESA1178

ESA1178 AllStar

Dec 3, 2011
    I would do that, but since I don't know the exact length of the cable, I would rather buy without connectors and cut as I go...

Mark

10. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    Then you should really "tool up" to do the job. When dealing with RF, cabling & connectors are very important to be done correctly.

11. ESA1178

ESA1178 AllStar

Dec 3, 2011
    We're talking 4 connectors. I cannot see justifying purchasing a compression connector for a one time deal. As we all know, money is short, and I would like to keep the costs down..

Mark

12. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    I understand, which is why pre-made might be a cheaper option.

You just can't go half-assed with RF.

13. ndole

ndole Problem Solver

Aug 26, 2009
    It's only a one time deal if you're only going to be watching it for one day :lol:

It's better to do this correctly now, and not have to redo it and redo it and redo it later :)

14. deardeva

deardeva Mentor

Sep 16, 2011
    so, runnning 200 ft from the dish, is not a problem? I've been planning on doing something similar....

15. davejacobson

davejacobson Legend

Mar 14, 2005
    Your best bet is to buy the correct tools and do it right or pay someone $100 or more to do it right after you mess it up. How expensive is that $20 tool now?

16. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    I would have a bunch of questions before saying that.
    "It can be done" with a SWiM, but NOT with an 8-way splitter, for example.

17. F1 Fan

F1 Fan Icon

Aug 28, 2007
    I bought mine from Lowes a few years ago - I was told by my installer that it ws the one he uses and loves it and sent me off to get one.

Since then I have used it a lot more than the original 1 off. Every time "she who must be obeyed" decides to buy a $70 rug because there was $20 off, but we need to spend $5000 on new furniture to match the rug and then have to rearrange the room for the new furniture, I end up having to run new coax from the wall socket (or inside the wall to a new socket) to the receiver. So my original 8 connectors are now in the 20+ range :lol:

18. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    Which "of course" is all your fault too. :lol:

19. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    A few years ago I moved my receivers to another side of the room and had to run new coax. The connectors on the cables were the old crimp type which are a pain to install. I found the coax stripper, compression tool and connectors at Lowe's. Very easy to install, so I decided to go though my entire system (dish to receivers) and replaced crimped on connectors with compression ones. They make for a very clean and consistent installation.

20. ndole

ndole Problem Solver

Aug 26, 2009
    And they don't squish the dielectric and foil up against the center conductor either :lol: