cables for 6 channel analog audio connection

Discussion in 'Archive' started by Mark Lamutt, Aug 12, 2003.

1. Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt Your Neighborhood Liasion

Mar 23, 2002
    What kind of cables should be used to connect the 6 channel analog audio outs from my DVD player to the 6 channel analog INs on my receiver?

Yesterday I recevied a replacement Harman Kardon receiver for my 2 year old AVR110 that died (for the 6th time). They replaced it at no charge with a new AVR125 that gives me 6 channel analog inputs. I've never had this capability before.

Are audio grade interconnects good enough for the connections, or should I use video grade interconnects? The connection will be used almost exclusively to listen to DVD-Audio discs.

2. gulmer

gulmer Cool Member

Jan 22, 2003
    you want to use a good quality
    audio interconnects,rca video
    cables aren for video or coaxial
    digital audio.

3. HTguy

HTguy Icon

May 6, 2002
    Good audio interconnects are the way to go. But it won't hurt to use "video" RCA cables if you have extra lying around because, theoretically, they should offer better shielding.

Monster Cable used to offer very good 6 RCA to 6 RCA cable sets in their Interlink series, color coded & everything, when DVD was first coming out. That was because in those days you could wind up with a "5.1 ready" HT receiver & a DVD player w/internal DD decoder. They took them out of the catalog when direct digital connections became the norm.

You would think that they would promote them again now with DVD-A & SACD but they're not doing so.

Still, they can be had by special order. I just got in a bunch. The part no. is I406HTR-x where "x" is the length in meters.

4. Sep 9, 2003 #4 of 15
    lastmanstanding

lastmanstanding Godfather

Mar 22, 2003
    I get the impression that SACD and DVD-Audio are pretty thin markets at the moment. And I am not seeing much promotion from the companies that make them. Some, but not a lot. Maybe when combination players get cheaper, it will take off.

Oh well.

LMS

5. Sep 9, 2003 #5 of 15
    Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002
    Unfortunately you hit the nail on the head LMS. I wish SACD and DVD-A would take off. Watching movies and sports on TV are being enhanced with HDTV, why can't the music experience be enhanced with multichannel formats. CDs are 1980s technology, yeah sound quality is great, but I don't feel the cost justifies the products, thus I download all my music from Kazza at 128kbps, since the sound quality is almost the same. Electronics manufactures and retail outlets need to make consumers more aware of the multichannel formats to increase interest and sales and hopefully more content will be release. I'm still waiting for Korn's Untouchables.

I recently received the fourth DVD-A to my collection, my collection is as follows
    Disturbed - Believe
    Metallica - The Black Album (self titled)
    Linkin Park - Reanimation
    and now The Beach Boys - Pet Sounds.

Metal to rock-rap to '60s gold, nice collection :D

As for cables, if I ever get a real DVD-A player, I'll just use RadioShack cables. Decent price, decent quality, no marketing hype.

6. Sep 9, 2003 #6 of 15
    Richard King

Richard King Hall Of Fame

Mar 25, 2002
    It's good to see a youngster who enjoys classical music. :D

7. Sep 9, 2003 #7 of 15
    lastmanstanding

Mar 22, 2003
    Steve,

The advanced formats remind me of the old days with Direct to Disc albums, and then the Mobile Fidelity Master Recordings. Great product, very thin sales. Americans did embrace CDs, which I guess we should be thankful for. I just bought the last Zevon album, The Wind, and the engineering is outstanding, and the sound superb.

I am getting the feeling that SACD and DVD-A are going to die. The catalogs need to be a lot thicker before I get too excited, and I am generally the early adopter, technophile type.

What kind of player do you have?

And right on with the Radio Shack cables. I needed a 40 foot run for a subwoofer cable, but Monster only made a 30 footer @ $200. I ran two high end Radio Shack Cables with a gold joiner, and you know, it sounds terrific. Shakes the whole darn house. Total tab, $60. Not a true biwire, but those long waves get through fine.

LMS

8. Sep 9, 2003 #8 of 15
    Richard King

Richard King Hall Of Fame

Mar 25, 2002
    Mark... send me your address and I will send you a couple of Dish interconnect cable sets. Two audio and one video per set. I doubt that you would notice a difference between the audio and video cables. I have a few left over sets from old installations and demo equipment. No charge.

9. RockScaler

RockScaler Mentor

Sep 18, 2003
    Well Pioneer is doing their part to help combination players take off.

I just bought the Pioneer DV-563AS DVD player for around $160 that plays DVD-Audio and SACD. I got it primarily for my Home theater (new Sony 50" lcd RPTV) but hope to listen to the new multichannel music formats too. I also bought a
    Kenwood VR6070 HT RECEIVER and have both the analog and optical cables hooked up.
    I haven't had much time to experiment with different settings yet but with the receiver set to Auto it defaults to the optical input.

Is there an advantage to the 5.1 analog inputs for DVD-Audio?

I just know that my one DVD-Audio disk, Neil Young Harvest, sounds great!

10. lastmanstanding

Mar 22, 2003
    RockScaler,

OUTSTANDING. Thanks for the heads up on that one! I have been loath to put $1K into a combiplayer, knowing that such a player was in the pipe. Glad you like it, and I think I'll order one after this post.

LMS

11. lastmanstanding

Mar 22, 2003
    "Is there an advantage to the 5.1 analog inputs for DVD-Audio?"

RockScaler,

My understanding of the advanced audio formats was that they only work with the 5.1 input. My receiver has a 5.1 input for that purpose. Many disks will play in stereo through the digital and/or analog out, so if you don't have the 5.1 input connected, you may not be getting the true DVD-A output.

So hook your player up with the 5.1 output and let us know what you hear.

I haven't purchased a DVD-A or SACD player as yet because my gear has only ONE 5.1 input. I wanted a combiplayer so I could play both formats through the same input. The original players were well north of $1K, and with the catalogs so thin, I couldn't get excited. The $1K players were OK, but with DVD player prices collapsing, and the high end market essentially evaporating, I figured a big price break was in the wind. Voila. $249 list, $170 ish street price.

So now I have run out of reasons not to buy. Thanks again for the post. Crutchfield here I come.

LMS

12. RockScaler

RockScaler Mentor

Sep 18, 2003
    You are right. I have both the 5.1 and optical outputs hooked up to my Kenwood receiver. When I play a video DVD the receiver defaults to the optical input. When I put in the DVD-audio disk the receiver automatically selects the 5.1 channel audio inputs - and the sound is great. :hurah:

Now I'm looking to upgrade my speakers. My current subwoofer is non powered and my center- channel speaker won't fit in my new TV stand and is too big for on top of the TV. Unfortunately I have to look at smaller speakers to keep my wife from freaking out. :mad:
    Rock

13. lastmanstanding

Mar 22, 2003
    Rock,

A powered sub is a great move, but don't let the little lady cow you into other speakers that a too small. Bose tries to make us believe those little cubes are adequate, and they are if you like nonimaging mid range and not much else.

What are you looking at for speakers? Which sub looks good?

LMS

14. lastmanstanding

Mar 22, 2003
    Rock,
    Finally got the DVD-A/SACD up and running. The sound quality is excellent, and the added detail really makes it easy to pick out the recording and engineering flaws, especially in live recordings. My projector just came back from the shop, and the picture quality is decidely improved, but I can't decide if it is from the work they did on it at the factory or the new DVD player. Either way, life is better.

Thanks for the heads up on this great player. Hope you are enjoying yours.

LMS

Did you get that powered sub?

15. RockScaler

RockScaler Mentor

Sep 18, 2003
    LMS,

Yes, I bought a Velodyne Deco sub / sat system. Wow what a difference! Nice tight bass and the satellites have decent midrange.
    And for "movies that have things that blow up" it Rocks. :lol:
    There is an official Velodyne Support thread over at the AVS forum that is very helpful.

I've been too busy playing with my system to catch up on all the forums.

Now I can't wait for santa to bring me a bunch of DVD-As and SACDs.

Rock