1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

California has no issues compared to real life Fallout 3: DETROIT.

Discussion in 'The OT' started by Zellio, Jul 23, 2009.

1. Zellio

Zellio Icon

Mar 8, 2009
    Since there's a topic here on California, I guess I'll make one on Detroit.

Look at these videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JbGxIR8JTk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gep91lWjvvo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8dz40AOOmA&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6WKMNmFsxM

The point of this topic isn't to talk about Fallout 3 guys. The point is to talk about Detroit, REAL LIFE Detroit. I'm comparing it to Fallout 3 because, well honestly, if you look at the videos, Detroit looks like a nuclear wasteland.

This isn't about gaming at all. I'd like to talk about Detroit and how awful it's gotten.

2. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    I'm taking the advice of another member who suggested this be moved to the Gaming forum. (I don't know squat about Fallout 3.)

3. Zellio

Zellio Icon

Mar 8, 2009
    So showing videos of REAL LIFE Detroit and saying it is a real life Fallout 3 (A post nuclear war game) means this needs to be moved?

This has nothing to do with the game Fallout itself :\

4. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Although I received several requests to move this, I'm now moving it back to the OT forum at the thread starter's request.

5. Zellio

Zellio Icon

Mar 8, 2009
    The point of this topic isn't to talk about Fallout 3 guys. The point is to talk about Detroit, REAL LIFE Detroit. I'm comparing it to Fallout 3 because, well honestly, if you look at the videos, Detroit looks like a nuclear wasteland.

This isn't about gaming at all. I'd like to talk about Detroit and how awful it's gotten.

6. RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    Looks like parts of Cleveland too. It's a sad day when you drive down a street and more houses are boarded up then not. :(

7. turey22

turey22 Hall Of Fame

Jul 30, 2007
    I will have to say that every city has there good side of town and their bad side of town. So in most cities like Detroit you will have an area that looks like a dump.

8. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    The city was featured on "Life After People" showing several vacant buildings and blocks. The population has dropped from well over a million to about 800,000 in just 20 years.

9. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    I couldn't comment earlier since I don't do YouBoob and have no idea what Fallout3 refers to, so I didn't know what the topic was. Some sort of narrative in the OP would have helped.

10. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    It's not just that they are boarded up. They're gone. Demolished. Burned to the ground. Bulldozed. Blocks and blocks and blocks of nothing at all but vacant, unmowed fields where bustling communities once stood.

11. smiddy

smiddy Tain't ogre til its ogre

Apr 5, 2006
    Whoa, that is simply amazing, there are a lot of tragic issues associated with this, isn't there?

12. koji68

koji68 Icon

Jun 21, 2004
    It is bad but not as bad as you say. I understand that you are using hyperbole.

I go often downtown for drinks, watch the Tigers or Red Wings, go to the Fox, etc. I'm pretty sure you can't do that in a nuclear waste land.

Tens of thousand come every year for the Electronic Music Festival and the Detroit International Jazz Festival. In 2007, River Walk was opened to revitalize the Detroit waterfront.

When I'm in Detroit I don't feel less safe than in Chicago, New York, or Cleveland.

If you have ever seen Animal Cops: Detroit in APL you have all the proof you need that there bad places in Detroit, maybe more than average, but there a lots of nice thing here too.

http://www.insidedetroit.org/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Detroit_River_Walk

13. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    While I'm acutely aware of the situation in Detroit which is a tragedy, keep in mind three thiings about the title of this thread:
    • California is a state like Michigan, not a city like Detroit. The Detroit–Warren–Livonia Metropolitan Statistical Area (MSA) is the only MSA in Michigan in the largest 25 in the US (by population). California has the Los Angeles–Long Beach–Santa Ana MSA, the San Francisco–Oakland–Fremont MSA, the Riverside–San Bernardino–Ontario MSA, San Diego–Carlsbad–San Marcos MSA and the Sacramento MSA.
    • There are areas in at least three of these MSA's in California that are as declining as the areas depicted in Detroit. And there are areas in certain California cities that are essentially controlled by warlords, not government at any level. As California pulls the plug on funding for many social service activities and cuts back on local government funding (i.e. police) it will get worse. Remember LA has half the number of police officers per capita than any other major city in the United States.
    • Detroit (and Michigan) have at least a two decade head start on California. The film Roger & Me by Michael Moore was made in 1989, and regardless of what you think about it as a documentary what happened to Detroit and Michigan had already begun. We in California are going to be faster, though. My prediction is that it will take California less than four years from this month to reach the bottom of its economic disaster.
    In an ironic twist to this thread, Toyota this morning confirmed that it would begin talks with Motors Liquidation Co.- the entity charged with selling the assets shed by GM in bankruptcy - about the last auto plant located in California, the Fremont plant jointly created by GM and Toyota. According to the LA Times and the AP, reports in Japan from those traditional unidentified sources say Toyota has decided to shut the plant down. Toyota says it hasn't decided. The plant employed 5,000 workers making Toyota Corollas and Tacomas and Pontiac Vibes and a shutdown would impact another 30,000 jobs indirectly tied to the factory, according to the East Bay Economic Development Alliance.

14. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Maybe true, but the area in question isn't as large as Detroit. With the exception of several square blocks downtown where the sports teams play and there's some entertainment venues, the rest of the city is a dump.

Other major cities has a bad area or two. The difference is that Detroit has a good area or two.

And it's been like that for a long, long time. Every time I fly in and Drive through Detroit (which I have to do to get from the Airport to the East side), I'm amazed. I'm not even going to look at the videos the OP posted because I know what they'll probably show me. You can drive a 17 mile stretch of I-94 (from southfield fwy. to about Mack avenue) and see nothing but abandoned or burnt out buildings, graffiti and trash. Even the buildings that are still standing are painted dirt brown. It's the most depressing stretch of highway in the US.

I remember 15 - 20 years ago when I worked in downtown Detroit. There was basically an unwritten law that you could run red lights if you wanted to when you were downtown (after slowing down, of course), because so many people were afraid to stop at red lights for fear of being car jacked or worse. I rolled through many a red light in those days, often with cop cars nearby and was never pulled over. Most I worked with did the same. You just didn't want to get boxed in at a red light.