1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Caller ID Question

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by 420benz, May 7, 2018.

1. May 7, 2018 #1 of 28
    420benz

420benz Member

Dec 19, 2006
    Georgia
    It was on menu but with the new format i can't find it.
    Thanks

2. May 7, 2018 #2 of 28
    sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    It's been removed

3. May 7, 2018 #3 of 28
    420benz

420benz Member

Dec 19, 2006
    Georgia
    Well That Sucks!!!

4. May 7, 2018 #4 of 28
    TDK1044

TDK1044 Godfather

Apr 8, 2010
    As it was set to 'on' on my HR44 prior to the update, I still get the notifications after the update, but I understand that it's no longer supported.

5. May 9, 2018 #5 of 28
    ericknolls

ericknolls Member

Aug 18, 2013
    New York,...
    I think they removed it because a lot of people had problems setting it up. If you disconnected the phone line from the back of the receiver it caused problems reconnecting the caller ID. You may have moved it to another location or had a problem with the box and had to exchange it. My thing is - If customers were calling customer service - well that's what customer service is for. You also build trust between the customer and the company. AT&T doesn't have any of it.

Sent from my XT1609 using Tapatalk

6. May 9, 2018 #6 of 28
    slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    They dropped caller ID because people are cancelling landlines in droves, and while an RJ11 port on a receiver isn't exactly expensive, the savings add up when you are making millions of them. Probably only a small percentage of customers who had landlines bothered to connect them if they had internet. It doesn't make sense to add hardware to a product that only one or two percent of customers might use. Same reason they dropped the built in OTA after the H20/HR20.

7. May 9, 2018 #7 of 28
    bjdotson

bjdotson Legend

Feb 20, 2007
    Yeah, didn't use it when I had a landline because it was annoying if I was watching TV and useless when I wasn't. I haven't had a landline in years.

8. May 9, 2018 #8 of 28
    TDK1044

TDK1044 Godfather

Apr 8, 2010
    I haven't had an actual landline for years, but I have a VOIP phone at home as part of a bundle. And caller id still works on it on my HR44........until the next power outage disables it and there'll be no way to get it back :):)

9. May 9, 2018 #9 of 28
    slice1900

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    I switched my landline to Ooma, and you can get an app that will notify you on your smartphone (or ring through if you want) and I'd guess that option is available for most VOIP providers.

It is only those still on real landlines who might conceivably want caller ID via Directv, but you can buy little boxes that plug into the phone line (or work wirelessly) that will display or speak caller ID. I don't see why putting that next to where you watch TV wouldn't be just as good as having it display on the TV...

10. NR4P

NR4P Dad

Jan 15, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    Because you cant read the little box 15 feet away.

But I don't fault Directv for dropping the phone line and CID. It was needed in the early days for PPV payment tracking. In the past years with OOMA, Majic Jack, cable VoIP, uVerse, there were hundreds of complaints of DVR users that had intermittent CID issues and no doubt Directv got tired of it. VoIP CID is not the same as the old Ma Bell CID in many cases.

11. slice1900

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    Why would you have to put the box 15 feet away?

12. ericknolls

ericknolls Member

Aug 18, 2013
    New York,...
    Really? So why do cable companies, Telco companies and Satellite companies offer caller ID on TV. Your argument doesn't add up or makes sense. Enlighten us with your rebuttal. Which of these companies stopped offering it. I'll wait. Only AT&T/DIRECTV. So what are you talking about?

13. ericknolls

ericknolls Member

Aug 18, 2013
    New York,...
    If I am paying for Caller ID - why should they get rid of it? Or however it is added to my package. I know darn well it wasnt free. Did they ask their customers? No! There are a whole list of things AT&T has gotten rid of. We could speculate their reasons and still be wrong. It's funny how people are mentioning what happened to Caller ID in previous postings. So it seems there is interest in the service. Some people would rather see caller ID on the TV than on the landline. It is not our problem that that the Telco and entertainment TV industry offer this service. They added it as a benefit of their service. All of a sudden we are lazy or whatever we are being called for having this service. I work like a slave at my job most of the year. So seeing Caller ID on my TV is not a problem for me. I don't have to reach for my cell or landline. You may not like the service but I and other customers of DIRECTV do. Verizon has it, along with auto tune to a station and built in to their HD DVR. And they do not have a problem with their customers having it. I don't either!

14. NR4P

NR4P Dad

Jan 15, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    CID Box is on a piece of furniture near the wall jack.
    Sofa or chair to watch TV is 10-20 feet away

One could move the box near the chair but then they have a wire across the room.

15. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    It was cheap to add to a receiver that had a phone line for other purposes. How much do you want AT&T|DIRECTV to pay to make the feature work in the new GUI?

I do not pay for Caller ID. I pay for content on "cable" channels. I pay for clear reception of local OTA broadcasters. I pay for delivery of that content to my home. I pay extra to be able to record that content in my home and have access to on demand streamed content from the above content providers. I pay extra to be able to watch the same content in multiple rooms. Caller ID? It is a nice freebee.

16. slice1900

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    Which cable companies are offering caller ID on their latest equipment? Comcast isn't, the XG1 doesn't have a phone port. Tivo Bolt? Also no phone. The only major provider I know for sure still has a phone port on their latest hardware is Dish.

17. slice1900

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    There are wireless caller ID units.

18. ericknolls

ericknolls Member

Aug 18, 2013
    New York,...
    My friend has Spectrum. (Which - by the way has had their merger agreement revoked with NY State because the are not fulfilling their contractual agreements (conditions) of the merger. Let me see what I saw on my friends TV. Circa July 2018. Why is caller ID showing on my TV? She has the internet and TV package. Not the phone service. I saw what she saw. No caller ID information appeared on the screen. I looked at the back of her small router. Woolah - a telephone jack is on the back of it. I'll bake my own cake or get a trophy for this discovery. I guess some of you will say it is our vivid imagination or Spectrum is not really a cable company. Go figure! I am really surprised no one responded and backed me up on this issue - that cable companies still offer caller ID on the TV and so does Verizon FiOS TV. But, whatever...

19. WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2008
    The easy answer is cid was dropped from the new gui software because the 2 newest receivers hr54 & hr17 do not have rj11 jacks the hr54 has only a hdmi port and no other video outputs without using a special dongal.. the hs17 has no hdmi port.

This was done as a equipment cost cutting all other directv receivers are toast and will just expire in the field.

Example get a hs17 and all older receivers are removed from YOUR account.

Cid is gone

ericknolls likes this.
  20. dtv757

dtv757 Icon

Jun 3, 2006
    Yes that is true that most bundle providers still offer CID on TV . I think even Altice/ Optimums new Altice1 box still included CID on TV .

but I also agree that landlines are dying. and not as common as back in the 90s when D* stb's (like the old RCA boxes) required a landline connection.. to "phone home"

but I also agree equipment is being made that does not include Voice/ Phone feature. I beta tested a product video product for another tv company and it did not include CID on TV .

Last edited: Jul 29, 2018