1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Caller Id

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Bofurley, Jun 27, 2009.

1. Bofurley

Bofurley Godfather

Oct 11, 2006
    KS
    Since hooking up my new a/v receiver and using only HDNI cables to my television, my caller ID does not show up on the television screen! It still shows up in the menu caller ID section.
    Any suggestions on how to fix this problem would be appreciated.
    Thanks

2. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    Does it show up if you use component cables?
    Maybe the AV receiver doesn't pass through the CID.

And I assume you connected the phone line, right? :)

3. gphvid

gphvid Godfather

Jun 19, 2007
    Thousand...
    And turned on notices?

4. Bofurley

Bofurley Godfather

Oct 11, 2006
    KS
    Thanks to jdspencer and gphvid for your replys.
    Before replacing my receiver I had a Kenwood receiver, and when I was watching a Blu-ray disk through the HDMI cable, I did not see the caller id on my tv. But, when watching the TV with optical cables, I could see the caller id on my TV. So, it is the same problem with both receivers.
    Thanks for you help and suggestionsl.

5. richall01

richall01 Godfather

Sep 30, 2007
    South Georgia
    I use HDMI cables and my caller ID works fine.

6. RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    The connection type between the receiver and the TV has nothing to do with caller ID showing up or now. Caller ID is an on screen display generated in the receiver itself, no different than the guide or any of the menus. Caller ID has been a thorn in DirecTvs side since the introduction of the DirecTv branded receivers, sometimes it works, sometimes not. Just that simple.

7. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Why would you?

8. celticpride

celticpride Icon

Sep 6, 2006
    the caller ID wont work when your watching a blu ray disc ,only when your watching directv.

9. hughh

hughh AllStar

Sep 22, 2006
    I have a similar problem. Way back when I was on DTV it always showed the id calls on screen. Since my return with a HD DVR (HR 20) I get no notification on the screen. If I go to Caller ID it will show the call log, but what the heck, I don't need that, I can get that info from my phone without having to turn on my TV.

10. Steve Robertson

Steve Robertson Hall Of Fame

Jun 7, 2005
    Same for me very annoying this feature is not working

11. RACJ2

RACJ2 Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    I have 2 HR22's and out of hundreds of calls, I only recall 1 time that it didn't work. I'm using HDMI cables on both TV's, but they are hooked up directly from the HR22 to the TV. My home theater units only have digital sound cables running through them. I have DSL and a pots line with a whole house filter on my line. Not sure if that makes any difference.

I'm not taking full advantage of the HDMI cable, but it is used for video & sound when my wife watches TV. She uses the TV for sound, not the home theater. There is less chance of problems for her when there are only 2 devices involved.

12. jared52

jared52 AllStar

Sep 24, 2007
    This needs to be answered. Are your notices on?

13. Bofurley

Bofurley Godfather

Oct 11, 2006
    KS
    jared, what notices are you talking about? Or, where do I find them?
    Thanks

14. Jhon69

Jhon69 Hall Of Fame

Mar 27, 2006
    Central San...

Press Menu on remote control,Caller ID,below Call Log you should see Turn Notices On/Off to display/not display Caller ID on screen.;)

15. Bofurley

Bofurley Godfather

Oct 11, 2006
    KS
    Thanks Jhon69, I guess at 79 I must have gone brain dead - I knew where the notice was, just wasn't thinking.
    Yes, I do have the notices on, and as I originally posted, at one time prior to going all HDMI cables, I did have Caller ID on my television, but now I do not - but it does show up if I go to the menue then caller ID.
    Thanks,

16. Terry740

Terry740 AllStar

Nov 15, 2005
    DITTO!!

17. Jhon69

Jhon69 Hall Of Fame

Mar 27, 2006
    Central San...

U R Welcome.:)

18. Bofurley

Bofurley Godfather

Oct 11, 2006
    KS
    OK all,
    Here is the final episode concerning my caller id problem.
    I can not explain why it is working, but I went in, clicked on the caller id, then changed the notices from on to OFF, and darned if it started working? How abou that!!
    Again, thanks to everyone for your help and suggestions.

19. MIMOTech

MIMOTech Legend

Sep 11, 2006
    The one and only time that CID did not work was after a new software down load from DTV. I only took a full power down reset to fix the problem. Make sure connector from phone line is connected correctly or that it actually functions.

20. WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2008
    When a D* forced Software load is done, sometimes it will write (or) change the notices to on -therefore cancelling CAller ID. NOT AWAYS, but when you least expect it. Long after you have forgotten all about having done it once before :)