Calling All Technical Experts, LCC vs. AM-21

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by 24Flames, Sep 24, 2019.

1. 24Flames

24Flames Legend

Aug 23, 2007
    With more fee fights on the horizon, and having been through a recent one, I bit the bullet and bought an AM-21. AT&T sent me a LCC a few months ago, but my problems with it are documented. So I have two questions:

1) After many scans using the LCC, my program guide finally shows all the OTA channels in my channel guide that it should be picking up. I understand the older AM-21 may not pick up or show some of the newer OTA channels, but is still good and reliable at picking up/showing the main OTA channels. All I want to see is the main OTA channels in my area. So when connecting the AM-21 to my HR-54 for the first time, do I need to remove all OTA channels, reset my HR-54, then connect up the AM-21 to the HR-54 and scan the OTA channels? Or do I really need to reset my HR-54….meaning can I just take a “short cut” and hook up the AM-21 and will my HR-54 connected to it immediately use the AM-21 to pick up the OTA channels that are showing in the channel guide from the previous scan using the LCC?

2) I have a HR-54, two minis and two HR-24’s. My set up is whole home networked. I think I know the answer to my question, but let me reconfirm: Is there any way once I hook up the AM-21 to the HR-54, that I can see OTA channels in my channel guides being displayed by my two HR-24’s? Assuming not, I understand the main work around.

2. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    The AM21 should pick up the same list of channels as the LCC. True you can 'scan' on the HR54 but unless you are one of the 12 markets that still hasn't been updated all that buys you is a few low power stations that aren't in the guide. So you may see a few extra on the HR54, but likely they aren't anything you want to watch.

The AM21 has an older tuner which may have problems picking up certain stations if you don't have good reception, but the LCC despite having a more modern tuner hasn't been trouble free for people either so which is better is an "it depends" kind of thing.

I'd put the LCC on the HR54 and the AM21 on one of the HR24s (since the LCC doesn't work on the HR2x) Then you can see which works best for you, and if you have a channel that is 'problematic' on one of them you can record on the other. On the HR24 w/o the AM21 you can watch OTA recordings off either the HR54 or other HR24, but you won't have the channels in the guide so you can't watch live OTA or set OTA recordings.