1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

camp dish

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by tdejong302, Mar 2, 2011.

1. Mar 2, 2011 #1 of 16
    tdejong302

tdejong302 New Member

Mar 2, 2011
    I want to enjoy some tv while at camp. I presently have direct tv at home with a slimline dish. I would prefer to get locals while at camp. Can I buy a slimline dish off of ebay and install it and use one of my receivers from home while at camp to have tv/local channels. I live in the central u.p. so antenna's now are outdated and dont' pick up much. Can I buy and slimline dish or do I need to buy specific items. What will I need to purchase so I can use my receivers at camp. Will I need a splitter etc..... Not very well versed in this so if you have a link to something on ebay its appreciated.

2. Mar 2, 2011 #2 of 16
    mashandhogan

mashandhogan Legend

Dec 21, 2010
    Legally.....No, but many people do it.

Yes, you could get a slimline on fleabay BUT you must adjust it accordingly.

3. Mar 2, 2011 #3 of 16
    tdejong302

tdejong302 New Member

Mar 2, 2011
    When you say adjust accordingly what does that mean. You mean azmuth (sp) direction etc.. thx.

4. Mar 2, 2011 #4 of 16
    maartena

maartena Hall Of Fame

Nov 1, 2010
    I don't think you can just "buy a dish" and hook it up, I think the receiver knows which dish it is getting information from. Otherwise you could easily share 1 account with 3 homes spread over the same city, by just buying three dishes and use 2 receivers per home, and have 6 receivers on the 1 account.

(I could be totally wrong here, but my "how to abuse the system spidey senses" are tingling)

The other problem you might have....is that locals are broadcasted as a spot beam, which means that if you live in Detroit, MI - but your camp is somewhere north of Saginaw on the lake, the spot beam might simply not reach that far, and you can't get the locals for Detroit.

I do believe that there is a special mobile tuner, for which you can get an exemption, so you can watch either the east coast (NY) or west coast (LA) feeds of the 4 or 5 major networks.

5. Mar 2, 2011 #5 of 16
    carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    First, terms of service. You can receive service at ONE location on an account. If nobody is going to be at your primary residence watching tv while you are at camp, then you are okay to take some/all of your equipment to camp during that time and use it there. If people will still be watching tv at home, then using equipment at camp at the same time is not in accordance with terms of service.

So, assuming your use would be within the terms of service, You need the same type of dish you have at home. If it is a 3-LNB SWiM, then that is what you want to buy for camp. If it is a 5-LNB standard, then that is what you want to buy for camp. Make the two the same, then you do not have to go into satellite setup on your receiver when you move it back and forth.

Once you get the correct type of dish, you need to install and align it. That is easier said than done, but many do it on their own so it certainly is not out of the question. Follow the alignment instructions to the letter and you should be okay.

As to maartena's comment about "I think the receiver know which dish it is getting information from", discussion regarding whatever technologies DirecTV has or could use to prevent illegal reception is beyond the scope of what these forums permit to be discussed.

6. Mar 2, 2011 #6 of 16
    tdejong302

tdejong302 New Member

Mar 2, 2011
    Thx. Will be the only one using it.

7. Mar 2, 2011 #7 of 16
    Jodean

Jodean Icon

Jul 17, 2010
    I dont agree here with carl on the "get the same dish as home thing"

If it were me, i would not use swm at the camper, for one the power supplied to the campsite probrably isnt that great, then plus factor in camper wiring.

I would try to use legacy and no power supply for the camper and change the dish type in the setup.

Swm is very picky, and even customer service claims the PI should not be plugged into a power strip because it doesnt provide adequate voltage. While i dont agree there either, i mean whats a power strip? Some copper conductors tied to one another? WHy that would cause the PI to not function correctly is beyond me. But if you do believe this then id stay away from Swm at the campsite.

8. Mar 2, 2011 #8 of 16
    maartena

maartena Hall Of Fame

Nov 1, 2010
    Well, we don't know what kind of campsite it is.... there are also "permanent" camp sites where you can place your own permanent cottage or trailer, with the intention of never moving it. In that case, I would guess you can install a full sized regular dish, as it is essentially your second home.

Of course you need to properly align it, make sure you have a clear view of the southern sky, etc.... and of course it isn't at all clear whether the camp site falls within the spot beam or not. The spot beams are rather large, so if you are in Detroit, it probably covers most of southern Michigan and Northern Ohio. If the camp site is 6 hours away though, in whatever direction, you may have reception problems with your locals.

9. Mar 3, 2011 #9 of 16
    carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    I agree, if "camp" refers to a permanent installation that would be used on a non-permanent basis, then I stand by my suggestion. If "camp" refers to a very temporary, and regularly changing location, then an 18" round dish and a dedicated SD receiver would be my preference.

10. BKC

BKC Icon

Dec 12, 2007
    Good grief, the poor guy wanted to know what dish to get and he gets lectured. :lol:

11. Yoda-DBSguy

Yoda-DBSguy Hall Of Fame

Nov 4, 2006
    A Galaxy...
    Just FYI, OTA antenna's are not outdated, however uyour TV might be if it doesn't incoporate a ATSC digital tuner. You can rectify that by adding a digital to analog converter box and receive locals from the area your residing in at the time.

On another note, locals are spot beamed for most areas, so if you are camping outside of your home account location by 250+ miles (or so), you would not be picking them up from your satellite at the camper locatipon anyways. HOWEVER, you can call in to DirecTV and ask for national DNS feeds explaaining you have a camper at an additional expense. Although they will not be your locals stations, you will aleast get the national feeds for nbc, abc, cbs, etc.....

Personally, I'd just update your tuner on the TV as I mentioned above and pick up the locals from the area your camping in at the time....

12. tdejong302

tdejong302 New Member

Mar 2, 2011
    This will be a permanant slimline dish mount. I will be about 40 miles from home. So hopefully won't have to change settings on the reciever. I do appreciate everyones suggestions due to being so illiterate on this subject. My recievers says its a H-23/600. I have seen slimline dishes on ebay for $99. If I look at my cone how do I know if its a 3 or 5 cone feed. Hope I'm saying it right. Will my reciever tell me all I need to know or do I have to get on the roof to read something on the cone. thx. AGAin. sorry for being a pain. I want to purchase the dish off ebay and make sure it comes with the right cone. I know it has 3 thing's on it but don't know if its a 3or 5 feed. Also I have seen swithes and splitters that come with the install kit. Do I have to be specific on these too. :confused:

13. Jodean

Jodean Icon

Jul 17, 2010
    if you see 3 heads, thats a 5 if theres only one thats a 3, the center eye catches 3 sats

I would go with a legacy slimline 5, no b band required since your rec is a h23. One cable since its non dvr.

14. Podkayne

Podkayne Legend

Nov 1, 2007
    I do this all the time....

I have an old RCA DRD480E receiver that still works fine; it is attached to my master bedroom TV, which is rarely watched.

I have an old (Sony brand...LOL) single LNB dish, mount, and leveling/aiming tools stored in the RV.

When I leave for a trip I disconnect the receiver from my bedroom TV and bring it with me in the RV.

When I set up camp I can assemble, mount, and coarsely aim the dish. After the receiver boots and looks for the antenna, I have a signal meter that helps fine tune the alignment. I then stake the dish assembly to the ground. I've got the whole process down to about 6 or 7 minutes.

15. bonscott87

bonscott87 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

Jan 21, 2003
    If you're not concerned about HD at the camp site the easiest thing (and cheapest) would be to just get an old Phase III dish that points at 101/110/119. Probably pick one up for $20 or less on flea-bay. Then all you need is a cheapo SD receiver or take one of your HD recievers and reconfigure at camp for the Phase III dish. It's super light and SD locals in Michigan for Detroit come off of 101 so you'd be set there. Other SD locals in Michigan are mostly on 119.

I know several people that do this, it's easy.

16. PokerJoker

PokerJoker Godfather

Apr 12, 2008
    Las Vegas
    Sorry, but that is wrong. The receiver has no idea at all what dish it is talking to. The scenario you describe is entirely possible and is one of the big reasons why the sat companies used to require that all the boxes on one account were hooked to the same land phone line.

Of course, account splitting like that is FRAUD and the sat companies will go after you vigorously if they find out. You also can never call the company for service or repair. First, they won't go to an address not on the account, and second, if they do go to the address on the account and happen to notice that a bunch of receivers on the account are not present, oops, busted! Another problem with it is that whoever's name is on the bill will get the charges for ALL the PPVs, etc, that all the viewers on the account order. You would have to really trust the other people on the (illegally) split account.

Having said that, it is very common for people to set up temporary dishes for things like camping and tailgating, and use their home receiver. Technically, it is a violation of contract. Practically, you will never get caught.

Keith