1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Camping - This It's Possible to Receive a Signal?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by camperking, Jul 17, 2018.

1. camperking

camperking New Member

Jul 17, 2018
    See attached AR view of our campsite....thinks it's possible to receive DirecTV signal (even if it's an SD signal)?

Attached Files:

2. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    Even if it worked today, that tree below it wouldn't have to grow very much to block it.

3. texasbrit

texasbrit Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2006
    Unfortunately I think you are SOL on that one.

4. camperking

camperking New Member

Jul 17, 2018
    Yeah - I gave it a shot with a tripod, SLS3, PI and H25 receiver. Quadruple checked I had the azi, ele and tilt set correctly and all coax tested good and got 0's across the board. Was hoping to get even something less than 50 percent to tell me that it was even possible, but nothing. So either I screwed up something simple, or there's just no way.

5. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    The most common problem we see is that the installation is pointing way too far towards the West. Try turning it about 10 degrees to the east.
    How many coax connections does the LNB on the dish have. It should be just 1.

6. camperking

camperking New Member

Jul 17, 2018

Yep - just one connection to the LNB. I feel like I've swung the dish anywhere from 180 to 215 degrees (with a recommended mag reading of 212 degrees). I guess it couldn't hurt to give it another shot. Was hoping to see some percentage (even if minimal).....if I do get it, I'll report back - but not hopeful.

7. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Make sure your tripod is level. It makes a huge difference.

8. b52pooh

b52pooh Cool Member

Mar 10, 2011
    Southern Oregon
    And small movements. Then wait. You are aiming at a target that is 22000 miles away.

jimmie57 likes this.
  9. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Make sure for the elevation that you are using the mark and not using the center of the screw head for alignment.

10. Howie

Howie Godfather

Aug 16, 2006
    Or just enjoy the great outdoors and don't worry about watching TV until you get home.

11. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    I would imagine if cheap sat finder device wold help you a lot

12. reubenray

reubenray Godfather

Jun 26, 2002
    Unless you can move your tripod setup some place else you are out of luck.

I travel in a motorhome that has the Winegard Trav'ler on the roof plus I take a tripod setup with me. When booking campgrounds use DishPointer - Align your satellite dish to see what my options are before picking what site I want. If I can't find a suitable campsite I dig out my tripod setup, I will only do this if I am staying 2 or more nights. If I cannot get a suitable site I watch my recorded shows instead.

13. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    You mean like the one he provided in post #1?

14. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    nope, this is THE sat finder [​IMG]
    nowadays people don't know about devices and play only with apps on their phones :(
    how you will get a signal level on the coax from dish, if you are have nothing but a phone ?

15. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    One gets the signal level on the receiver.
    I have one of those devices you linked ... it was utterly useless to me. (It came free with an LNB purchased on eBay. I'm glad I didn't pay for one.)
    If you have one that works (good luck) it can show a raw RF strength. Peak the antenna to the highest RF strength? I prefer EbN0.

If one only has a smartphone the app will tell a person where to point their dish. The pictured toy isn't a compass and does not provide azimuth, elevation or skew. If one does not know where to start one could easily lock on to the wrong satellite (any satellite the LNB can convert) using such a basic device. The app tells a person where to start. ("The satellite is thataway, here is the azimuth, elevation and skew" - and on the better apps "here is what could block your signal".) The device pictured doesn't tell you which branches to trim or which direction to move the dish to get a better LOS.

16. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    yeah .. augmented reality ... I would guess someone remember long years before the dishpointing apps comes up; so that time a compass and an inclinometer was the tool, include the cheap finder
    The app is helpful, but not necessary.
    And yes, STB usually have setup screen to show you what sat picking and its signal level (with integrated SNR values)