1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CAN 722 RECORD with time/channel criteria vs. guide program selection

Discussion in 'ViP612/622/722/722K DVR Support Forum' started by JoeKL, Jul 26, 2010.

1. JoeKL

JoeKL Cool Member

Jul 25, 2010
    Can anyone tell me how to make the 722 record using time/channel criteria(like an old VCR) vs. selecting a guide entry to record?

Can the 722 do this?
    I need to set the DVR to record a partial event without having to be there to start the recording in person? I want the recording to starting a few minutes late to assure the DVR processes the full HD signal vs. getting stuck recording the SD banner used as a place marker for the channel with no programming.

I ask this because I'm experiencing recording failures (described here: http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?p=2541661&posted=1#post2541661) relating to my DISH 722's inability to reliably record HD RSN events.

Thanks in advance for your help.
    Joe

2. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Menu, 7, Timers, Manual Timer, then select the choices you want.

3. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    You can set up a manual recording using channel, start time and end time.

The index of the users guide says that manual timers are addressed on page 67.

4. SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg Active Member

Aug 30, 2004
    Sure it can. One way is go thru the DVR button and call up the list of timers. On the right you'll see a "Manual Timer" button.

5. JoeKL

JoeKL Cool Member

Jul 25, 2010
    Thanks, I'll check out the Man. Sorry for the RTFM issue.
    Joe

6. Michael P

Michael P Hall Of Fame

Oct 27, 2004
    HD RSN's pose an unusual problem. Since they are "shared" transponders if you start a timer too soon you'll end up with just the "barker channel" (the "tune in often to see if your team is playing in HD" screen).

So what you need to do is set up a timer to start a few minutes late. The end time is not as critical, just the start time.

Also don't count on getting the pregame coverage. Last week the pregame was listed in the EPG for the HD channel (actually the start of the game was 1/2 hr early in the EPG) but they did not flip on the program until the start of the actual game (Cleveland Indians on STO 431).

7. JoeKL

JoeKL Cool Member

Jul 25, 2010
    Thanks everyone for all the good info. You've helped me learn a lot in a short time.

Joe