1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can a genie client see recordings off another DVR like HR24?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by cypherx, Apr 12, 2018.

1. cypherx

cypherx Hall Of Fame

Aug 27, 2010
    PA - Berks...
    DirecTV CSR warned me that a genie client that I'm getting installed this Sunday will only be able to see recordings from the HR44 genie, and not my HR24 DVR that I also have on my account.

I just wanted to verify that here to be sure. If so we can record daytime shows on the HR24 like my wife's soaps, which she watches when she gets home from work on the HR44 in the living room. But after 9 PM when she retires to the bedroom and uses the client, we will then have to make sure things she would want to watch or fall asleep to are all recorded on the HR44 (mainly evening shows).

I wouldn't understand why that would be case, because I thought a client was just a remote display of the Genie, and showed and did everything the genie did. Kind of like opening an RDP session to a computer.

2. Steveknj

Steveknj Icon

Nov 14, 2006
    You should be able to see recordings on other DVRs I find the knowledge of the CSRs less than ideal.

3. cypherx

cypherx Hall Of Fame

Aug 27, 2010
    PA - Berks...
    Ok that's what I initially thought. If its an extension of the HR44 and the HR44 can see the recordings on my HR24 (prefixed with [FAMILYRM] in the playlist), then I don't see why not.

4. scottp461

scottp461 Mentor

Sep 7, 2006
    I have a HR54 and 4 HR24's, they all see each other.

5. JerryMeeker

JerryMeeker Legend

Sep 20, 2007
    It wasn't specifically stated, but (obviously) you need to be using Whole Home.

6. Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick Icon

Aug 25, 2006
    Long Island
    The "real" limitation is that you can only schedule recordings on the Genie via the mini. But that's the same limitation as if you were watching the Genie or DVR directly.

7. cypherx

cypherx Hall Of Fame

Aug 27, 2010
    PA - Berks...
    That’s ok. If I want to schedule on the HR24, I use the mobile app where the DVR can be specified.

8. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    If you have a genie you have Whole Home Service though. ;)

9. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    Although if it is soaps, I'd turn the share feature off on the HR24 so she can't watch them in the bedroom.: )

But yet once again, DIRECTV CSR was 100% wrong.

cypherx likes this.
  10. codespy

codespy Aaron owns Da Bears! DBSTalk Club

Mar 29, 2006
    Seasonal
    Just a note....from a client, you can see recordings off other non-Genie DVR's. If you go to settings, whole home, you do not have the option to see other DVR's on the whole home network like you can from the Genie itself.

11. cypherx

cypherx Hall Of Fame

Aug 27, 2010
    PA - Berks...
    This behavior is the same regardless of new GUI or old GUI right? We don’t have the new guide here yet.

12. codespy

codespy Aaron owns Da Bears! DBSTalk Club

Mar 29, 2006
    Seasonal
    Makes no difference.

cypherx likes this.
  13. cypherx

cypherx Hall Of Fame

Aug 27, 2010
    PA - Berks...
    Ok I can confirm it works perfectly. From C61-100 I was able to see and playback BOTH content recorded on the HR44 or HR24 (prefixed [FAMILYRM] just like on the main HR44 box).

I also found an Easter egg. If you hold down SELECT on the remote for 15 seconds it takes you to an informative light diagnostic or settings screen. This whole screen has the new DirecTV UI fonts and colors. It looks really sharp. The rest of the system, including the HR44 is the old menu still. I just thought that was neat to get a preview of the new UI fonts, even if it was just a diagnostics screen.

14. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    interesting ... could you post a snapshot here for us ?

15. cypherx

cypherx Hall Of Fame

Aug 27, 2010
    PA - Berks...
    Sure to prove it’s on the old GUI I will include the menu as well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Thanks.
    Will be interesting to see same same screens/data for C61k when it hold 4k/UHD connection and when it reporting "no 4k target, etc" .
    I'll refer to your snapshots for those users with C61K issues.

17. cypherx

cypherx Hall Of Fame

Aug 27, 2010
    PA - Berks...
    Well I came home from work today and we’ve been updated to the new GUI. The client software and that screen is the same as in my pictures prior to the new gui.

18. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    new GUI is the server's "home", client running own FW and getting graphics command from the server to render them on own CPU/RAM/Video system

19. cypherx

cypherx Hall Of Fame

Aug 27, 2010
    PA - Berks...
    Kinda like Remote Desktop (mstsc). I run the same program and connect to various windows operating systems.