1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

can a primestar customer keep their package but just get new receivers?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by newsposter, May 23, 2010.

1. newsposter

newsposter Hall Of Fame

Nov 12, 2003
    A friends family has had the same setup/old receivers etc for many years. One of the receivers is really flaky and it may be time for a new one soon. I just was wondering, upon switching out of receivers will they mandate a new programming package be chosen or will they just swap out receivers and not touch the programming?

2. azarby

azarby Hall Of Fame

Dec 15, 2006
    Usually the hardware and programming are two seperate items. They should be able to get the hardware replaced without a programaming package change. Ther are a few exceptions such as adding Deca to certain legacy Choice plus progamming packages.

Bob

3. newsposter

newsposter Hall Of Fame

Nov 12, 2003
    ok cool...and i think it's safe to say that if they want HD they definitely have to get a newer package? (and of course will lose their DNS which they should have years ago)

4. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    Almost certainly correct on that one.

5. cartrivision

cartrivision Hall Of Fame

Jul 25, 2007
    To get HD, they just have to add "HD access" to their account at $10/month which will turn on the HD versions (if there is one) of all the channels in their current package... plus of course they would have to get an HD compatible dish and receivers, but no programing package change should be necessary.

6. naijai

naijai Hall Of Fame

Aug 19, 2006
    Also if a primestar customer wants to change to hd, there are additional changes that will have to be made so make sure you specify what kind of equipment you want

7. curt8403

curt8403 Hall Of Fame

Dec 27, 2007
    Primestar Converted Rental accounts (PCR) can get the rcvrs that they currently have replaced with a rcvr of the same type. IE A standard rcvr (like for instance an RCA 430) replaced with a standard RCVR, like a D11-500. To get a DVR or HD you would need to have your account converted to a Primestar Converted Owned account (PCO) and then you could order advanced rcvrs. The conversion changes the rental fees and the additional rcvr fees on the account as well as the system coverage.

8. lokar

lokar Icon

Oct 7, 2006
    I thought Primestar customers were all converted to DirecTV back in 1999. As I recall, D* bought Primestar just to shut it down and convert their customers. I was rather annoyed at the time, annoyed enough to switch to Dish Network for a few years until they annoyed me more than any provider ever has and I came back to DirecTV. Has Primestar still been operating all this time?

9. curt8403

curt8403 Hall Of Fame

Dec 27, 2007
    Directv bought Primestar, and all accounts were converted to Directv accounts. they are listed as Primestar converted accounts and get special deals for being converted

10. matt

matt New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    I have seen primestar dishes around town and always thought they were defunct. Huh.

11. curt8403

curt8403 Hall Of Fame

Dec 27, 2007

they are defunct.

12. newsposter

newsposter Hall Of Fame

Nov 12, 2003
    I found out some more info..they are now on total choice plus with 2 receivers and they pay 14 a month for DNS and the total bill is about 83 bucks. I think their protection plan is 3.

when they created an online account it said total choice plus locals is 61, choice is 59, choice extra is 64, choice ultimate is 69

by my calculations she could pay

64 for extra
    5 DVR
    5 extra receiver
    6% tax

so she would actually save. Are my calculations on the money or am i forgetting something? I'm assuming they would give her 2 SD dvrs free and what are they giving out these days? And would their be a new contract, not that they are going anywhere.

13. naijai

naijai Hall Of Fame

Aug 19, 2006
    There will be a change by swithching to lease receivers

14. JACKIEGAGA

JACKIEGAGA N.Y. FOOTBALL GIANTS

Dec 11, 2006
    Long Island, NY
    Primestar now thats a blast from the bast

15. newsposter

newsposter Hall Of Fame

Nov 12, 2003
    interesting..out of the blue my friend got a letter saying they would send her all new SD receivers free/no commitment. Other HD offers 'may be available' for her account.

I'm guessing this means there is no plan to upgrade everyone to HD receivers eventually, otherwise why offer her SD stuff free. She still may get HD if they will give it to her free

16. newsposter

newsposter Hall Of Fame

Nov 12, 2003
    my friend called for the free SD upgrade and they are coming out tomorrow and giving her one DVR and one standard receiver. I reminded her that DVRs need 2 wires. Currently the dish is on the ground on a pole about 50 ft from the house and 2 wires run from the dish thru a pipe into the house and each receiver gets one wire

will they just install a multiswitch inside to make the DVR work, then run a 2nd line to the DVR? I'm assuming it would be a free switch? I just want to make sure she doesnt get charged for anything.

17. Newshawk

Newshawk Hall Of Fame

Sep 3, 2004
    Broken...
    Does your friend get local channels from DirecTV, and does she have a second dish for local channels? If so, then they're upgrading her system because her local channels are moving to one of the Ka/Ku satellites sometime in the next six months. I don't know how that will affect any PCR accounts.

18. newsposter

newsposter Hall Of Fame

Nov 12, 2003
    she has DNS and they havent shut them off yet..are those the locals you are talking about?

19. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    If the current dish only has two outputs (standard dish for just 101) then a multiswitch can be used to provide signals to the extra tuners. For a dish with 4 outputs (the older Ph III) then they will need to add the other two lines from the dish for the receivers. If more than four tuners need signals then a multiswitch (4x6) will be used.

As is USSB!

20. Talos4

Talos4 Legend

Jun 21, 2007
    Yep, I'm one of those customers and have held on to my TC+ since the conversion, and through many upgrades over the last 10+ yrs.