1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can a VirusScan account be used for 2 computers on a home network?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk - Gadgets, Gizmos and Technology' started by mini1, Mar 29, 2004.

1. mini1

mini1 Icon

Jan 25, 2004
    I have 2 computers on my home broadband network, #1 has Norton VirusScan and #2 has McAfee VirusScan (among a firewall and other stuff). My subscription to Norton for #1 is up today and I am wondering if it is possible to install the boxed version of McAfee's VirusScan on computer #1 and have both #1 and #2 access the same account subscription for VirusScan at McAfee, without paying anymore per month than I am paying now for just 1 computer? Has anyone tried this, or know if it can be done? Thanks for the help in advance! :)

2. djlong

djlong Hall Of Fame

Jul 8, 2002
    New Hampshire
    I had 2 computers on a LAN when I got hit with a virus. Since each computer had drive-letter assignments to the other computer's hard drives, I was able to tell Norton Anti-Virus to scan the 'foreign' drive from the uninfected computer and it removed the offending file.

3. Geronimo

Geronimo Native American Potentate DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 23, 2002
    Legally no. And djlong's advice works for part of what a virus scanner does but does not do it all. McAfee, Norton, AVG and the rest all sell multiple PC licenses. IF you want to do it legally try that. In AVG's case you can use the free version that is quite capable.

4. Bogy

Bogy Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    I use AVG on all the computers in my house. I rationalyze that one is mine, one is my wife's, one is my son's, etc., so that I am not really installing the program on multiple computers. My reading is that they are not really concerned about a home network, they are more concerned about a business with many computers using the free version.

5. BobMurdoch

BobMurdoch Hall Of Fame

Apr 24, 2002
    I use one account for my office computer and my home computer, and have used it without incident for years (I have the subscription based service, not the retail box version though... so it allows me access based on my email address and a password....)

6. Geronimo

Mar 23, 2002
    In the case of the free license I dont think it maters. After all you could pay them 10 times free and it would still be free. With paid licenses it becomes a legal issue. But not everyone follows the letter of the law.

7. mini1

mini1 Icon

Jan 25, 2004
    so how would I go about getting the McAfee VirusScan software on my #1 computer that doesn't already have it, If buying in the box wouldn't work? would I have to download off their website? Do they know which computer is accessing their service or is only who is logged in?

8. BobMurdoch

BobMurdoch Hall Of Fame

Apr 24, 2002
    I get the subscription off their website. I then access the same website from the 2nd computer. It asks for my email address and a password. i give it, and it starts the download. I think they will leave you alone for two. It's the guys with 10+ installations they are chasing......

9. Geronimo

Mar 23, 2002
    Again it si not strivtly speaking proper but I question that they will come after you. Theya re not the RIAA

10. mini1

mini1 Icon

Jan 25, 2004
    Ok, I got the software free from my account at McAfee set up for the computer that already has it installed on it. I downloaded, deleted Norton, and it works perfectly! That will save me about $40 year now!!! because I don't need two subscriptions anymore! thank you to everyone who helped me out!

11. RichW

RichW Hall Of Fame/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 29, 2002
    The newer Symantec software, like Personal Firewall 2004, requires you to validate each computer online, like most of Microsoft's new software. I don't know if that will prevent a second computer from being authorized on the same registration key, but software vendors are going this direction simply because they feel a lot of people use one licnese for several machines.