Can Acorn TV help AMC compete with Netflix?

Discussion in 'Internet Streaming Services' started by phrelin, Aug 4, 2021.

1. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    [​IMG]
    The LA Times has an article today Streamer Acorn TV is an Anglophile favorite, but can it help AMC compete with Netflix? Back in 2015 I started a thread Acorn TV: Shows from Britain, Australian, New Zealand, Canada because I thought then that the streamer was a really good provider particularly for the relatively low subscription fee. I still do and the LA Times article offers a bit of an update. As is typical for this time of year, we are watching 6 shows a week on AcornTV which on our schedule makes it competitive with Netflix. But it isn't for everyone.

2. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    That Netflix is too much for too little is an opinion that many of us share. Acorn is a better value but it is very dependent on one's tastes.

Acorn TV certainly isn't going to make you popular at the water cooler if you reside in North America.

3. MrWindows

MrWindows New Member

Oct 12, 2010
    Phoenix,...
    AcornTV rocks! I am a bit of an anglophile, and I have both AcornTV and BritBox. I love the British cop shows, and there are quite a few Australian shows I've enjoyed as well. I don't subscribe to AMC+ although I watch a lot of shows on the network. I have Sundance through DirecTV and there have been a few shows there that I got hooked on. Consolidation of the services needs to come. I'm much more inclined to pay for Disney+ to get Hulu included. I would be much more interested in AMC+ if there was an AcornTV and Sundance Now bundle. I have DirecTV with HBO and Showtime, which gives me HBO Max and Showtime Go. I'd drop it if I didn't have a couple of senior citizens in my extended household. I have AcornTV, BritBox, Paramount+, Discovery+, AppleTV+ and PBS through my local channel support. My daughter has Netflix and Disney+, so we have a great deal of what we normally watch already covered.

4. billsharpe

billsharpe Hall Of Fame

Jan 25, 2007
    Southern...
    We have subscribed to Acorn TV for many years and enjoy their shows. $5 a month is a very reasonable price to pay for all the British and other programming they provide.

5. NashGuy

NashGuy Well-Known Member

Jan 30, 2014
    Nashville, TN
    AMC is one of those smaller companies that's ripe for acquisition by a bigger player. (Same can be said for Lionsgate, which owns Starz.)
    Will be interesting to see what happens to them and their various niche-focused streaming services if they do get bought out.