Can anyone stream in-home with Android?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by MikeW, Oct 25, 2013.

1. MikeW

MikeW Hall Of Fame

May 16, 2002
    Just wondering if anyone is successfully streaming in-home on an Android device with 3.0? I only see negative comments in the reviews in the Play Store. I have struggled twice with reps at DirecTV to no avail. I have a Nexus 7 and have had no luck streaming at home.

2. speedy4022

speedy4022 Legend

Jan 26, 2004
    I can on my android phone a Motorola RAZR m

Sent from my XT907 using DBSTalk mobile app

3. sweep49

sweep49 Legend

Jul 15, 2008
    SW GA
    I have been able to stream the Fox Sports Network live on my Nexus 7.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using DBSTalk mobile app

4. bobnielsen

bobnielsen Éminence grise

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    I have only tried it once to see if it worked, and it did.

5. Nov 4, 2013 #5 of 19
    MikeW

MikeW Hall Of Fame

May 16, 2002
    Thanks for the replies. I guess there are not many people who are interested in Android streaming.

6. Nov 5, 2013 #6 of 19
    mreaves53

mreaves53 Cool Member

Oct 25, 2008
    Odenville, Al
    Works on both my Samasung Galaxy III and my old Toshiba Thrive ( had to sideload the Toshiba). I am waiting on OOH for the Android. I don't understand why iPhone/iPad gets all the attention when the Android platform out sells iOS 3 to 1. If you want to go after the biggest market share, go Android.

7. Nov 5, 2013 #7 of 19
    peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    but this is not necessarily a good thing....

8. Nov 5, 2013 #8 of 19
    Diana C

Diana C Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Mar 30, 2007
    New Jersey
    While more devices run Android than iOS, there are FAR fewer hardware variations in the iOS world. In iOS there are only 1 processor family, 4 or 5 memory configurations, 5 or 6 screen formats/resolutions versus 3 or 4 processor families, 10 or more screen formats, a dozen or more memory configurations, many different launchers/shells/UIs and far more variation across the operating system versions. Developing for Android is like developing for PC - the QA cycle is significant. By comparison, iOS requires far less testing, making it much quicker to bring to market.

9. Nov 5, 2013 #9 of 19
    otaliema

otaliema AllStar

Aug 9, 2012
    Mid-west USA
    There are people that do it. Just most people here are iOS users.
    I have streamed with a EVO, EVO 3D and GS3 with no problems it's all based on your network connection and your Android version. You need to have 3.0 and up to run it, 3.1 and up for best stability. The better your WiFi and device the better it works.
    Sadly the reason Android out sells iOS is cost, there are far more cheap Android phones on the market. it's just like in the PC world. Mac's are better machines but you pay for it. PC's let you get a working usable machine for 1/3 the cost most of the time.

10. Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick Icon

Aug 25, 2006
    Long Island
    Just do a Google search on "android fragmentation" for your answer. Even if companies devoted equal resources to Android and Apple platforms, starting on the same date, iPhone/iPad versions of large applications will always be available and less bug prone than the Android version. As an Android phone owner, I wish that this wasn't the case, As a new iPad owner, it doesn't bother me as much as it used to.

11. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Exactly....

Apple tries to make they iOS devices affordable by keeping older model around when the new ones are released. however, folks seems to want the latest and greatest from Apple at Android prices.... :nono2:

12. Milkman

Milkman Hall Of Fame

Dec 6, 2006
    You can now. :)

13. MikeW

MikeW Hall Of Fame

May 16, 2002
    I get that there are tons of devices to support in the Android world. It would be helpful if DirecTV would communicate the known issues to their customers so that we would know whether the problem is ours or theirs. MLB.TV gives a complete list of supported devices. If your device is not on the list, it simply doesn't work. CNN currently shows they know video is broken for Android V 4.4 and they are working on it. Is it really too much to ask to have a compatible list and a known issues list? GenieGO was not working two weeks ago. A recent update fixed that issue, and they at least allude to the fact that new devices are supported.

14. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    well given the fact that they are hundreds of different Androids handsets out there, I doubt that any developer can keep up with them

15. MikeW

MikeW Hall Of Fame

May 16, 2002
    Here's MLB.TV's list.

4. Supported Devices

Devices with a minimum of Android OS version of 2.2 should be capable of playing back Gameday Audio. Below are lists of devices that both support and do not support MLB.TV (live or archived) video content. If a device is not specifically named below, there is a chance it may successfully play MLB.TV video content.

• North American devices that support MLB.TV video content
      HTC Desire HD
    • HTC Droid Incredible, Incredible II
    • HTC Evo 3D, 4G, 4G Shift
    • HTC G2
    • HTC MyTouch 4G Slide
    • HTC Nexus One
    • HTC One S, V, X
    • HTC Rezound
    • HTC Sensation 4G
    • HTC Thunderbolt
    • LG Nitro HD
    • Motorola Droid 1, 2, 2 GLOBAL, 3, 4, X, BIONIC, PRO, RAZR, RAZR MAXX
    • Sony Xperia Play, LT28at
    • Samsung Droid Charge
    • Samsung Galaxy Nexus, Note, S (AT&T, Sprint, T-Mobile), SII (AT&T, Sprint, T-Mobile)
    • Samsung Nexus S, S 4G
    • More to come

[*]

Devices that do NOT support MLB.TV video content
    • HTC Aria
    • HTC Hero
    • HTC Droid Eris
    • LG Optimus Me
    • Samsung Galaxy Fit
    • Samsung Galaxy Mini
    • Samsung Galaxy 551
    • LG Optimus Chic
    • ZTE Blade
    • HTC Legend
    • Mytouch 3G Slide
    • HTC Gratia
    • Samsung Galaxy Europa
    • Sony Ericsson Xperia X8 (SE Shakira)
    • HTC Wildfire S
    • Sony Ericsson Xperia X10 Mini
    • Sony Ericsson Xperia X10 Mini Pro
    • Samsung intercept
    • Samsung replenish
    • LG Ally
    • HTC Rhyme
    • Motorola Atrix
    • Motorola Droid X2

16. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
  17. Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick Icon

Aug 25, 2006
    Long Island
    That list is incomplete. My phone (Motorola Droid 4) is not on the list. But the GenieGo app works on it. I initially had a problem with OOH, when it became available. But that was resolved once I ran the updated app while inside my home network.

18. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    and that is exactly my point. it is al most impassible to keep a complete list when Android handsets con sites of hundreds of different models

19. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    Agree. I have an Ice Cream Sandwich OS Android tablet and it works great with GenieGo and streaming inhouse....yet it's not on their official list.