1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can DirecTV and Cable Modem share a coax into the house?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by jtrain73, Jul 12, 2013.

1. jtrain73

jtrain73 AllStar

Sep 25, 2006
    I have DirecTV and currently have AT&T Uverse for internet.

We are in a newer home (built in 2012) and where the utilities come into the house, there is only one coax wire, which is being used by the DirecTV dish (newer dish, SWiM setup).

Uverse internet is coming in via a Cat5 (or Cat6) wire - both end in a central panel, which works well, allowing me to distribute the DirecTV, and I have the AT&T router right there.

I am looking to switch to Time Warner cable internet as it has faster speeds and cheaper prices than Uverse in my area (50/5 on Time Warner for $10 less per month than my 18/1 on Uverse)...however I'm concerned that I don't have an available coax line to bring the cable modem service into the house. Drilling a new hole would be difficult as we live in a home with brick and stone facade and the distribution panel is on the 2nd floor.

1) Can DirecTV and Cable Internet share the same coax?
    or
    2) Can I use the cat5 wire to bring in the cable internet signal?

Thanks in advance for any help or advice here.

2. joed32

joed32 Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2006
    No they can't share a coax.

I don't know the answer to 2 but I would guess that you cannot,Maybe someone who knows more than I do about cable feeds can help you. I get charter cable internet through a coax line.

3. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    Placing the cable modem where the current ATT U-verse modem is and using ethernet in the same manner should work just fine. Although unless TWC has an integrated router/modem model, you're going to need a separate router placed in the distribution panel box as well of course.

Combining DIRECTV SWiM signals with cable internet with the right diplexers may work in cases of DOCSIS 2.x standard systems, but may cause issues with DOCSIS 3.x systems with its use of higher frequencies due to channel bonding.

Also if you have WH service its likely not possible at all for your particular case.

4. jtrain73

jtrain73 AllStar

Sep 25, 2006
    Thanks...will see what the TW installer suggests. I may be able to route my DirecTV cable into the home a different way, but it won't be easy.

5. Rob

Rob Icon

Apr 22, 2002
    Newer homes usually have a junction box at entry of the coax into the home. This is where the coax is split into numerous rooms into the home. At the junction box, coax can be used for Directv and a spare could be used for cable internet. For example I have cable internet in my living room by the coax from the junction box. In order to get Directv in the same room, the installer taps the directv coax in the next room via a small hole thru the wall. Since Directv is using the new cabling, one line can feed both Directv boxes in the living room and the adjacent room.

6. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    Like I said earlier though;

I really see no reason the TWC cable modem and router just can't simply take the place of the current AT&T gateway, then using ethernet distribution to the rooms for the clients.

Though I did think it was pretty standard for new home construction to have two coax and ethernet runs to each room where future access for TV and home networking/internet may be needed.

Guess not ....

7. satinstallerguy

satinstallerguy Member

Apr 21, 2013
    Cleveland
    Just have the TWC guy run a new line into the house to your distribution point..................

SIG

8. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    No US cable modem standard is compatible with DECA.

DOCSIS 1.0 goes up to 750MHz, DOCSIS 2.0 goes up to 864MHz and DOCSIS 3.0 goes up to 1.002GHz.

9. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    I never said any cable modem standard was compatible with DECA, but was actually referring to what is summed up by slice1900's post #15 in an earlier thread on this subject under the second option;

http://www.dbstalk.com/topic/206230-can-i-get-cable-internet-along-with-my-directv/?p=3154500

But as stated for this option to be viable the root SWiM splitter would need well inside the home somewhere and near the desired location of the cable modem to diplex out the cable modem signal before it enters the DECA coax network portion of the cable plant which is not the case for the TS.

10. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Sadly and unfortunate, not all homes are built the same way...