1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can DVDs be reused?

Discussion in 'HDTV Equipment (Closed Forum)' started by Rusty, Dec 16, 2002.

1. Rusty

Rusty Legend

Apr 25, 2002
    I have a couple of movies on DVD that I purchased along with a DVD player. I have noticed that the price of DVD recorders is dropping to the point where I am seriously interested in purchasing a unit. All of the ads that I see for these recorders offer various numbers of free blank DVDs as an incentive to make the purchase.

As one who has never done any DVD recording I would like to know if these DVDs that are used in home recorders can be reused and recorded over in the same manner as Videotapes. Or, is it simply a one shot deal with each blank DVD. Thanks for any responses to this post.

2. gcutler

gcutler Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    There are Re-Writable DVDs (called DVD-RWs) But there is a 99.9999% chance that these DVDs are not re-writable and are probably the One Shot Deals. Re-Writeables are around the $5 price range (if purchased in singles)

3. cnsf

cnsf Hall Of Fame/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 6, 2002
    You should ensure the recorder is compatible with the DVDRW format. There is also +RW and -RW, so make sure you get the one your recorder requires.

Personally, I'd hold off for a little while on them.