1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can I connect one HFS-2D output to another HFS-2D input?

Discussion in 'ViP612/622/722/722K DVR Support Forum' started by sparky672, Sep 24, 2017.

1. sparky672

sparky672 New Member

Jan 12, 2015
    Chicago
    I currently have the working setup as shown in this image. The Dish installer used a HFS-2D splitter to put another RF antenna closer to TV2 for the remote control.

[​IMG]

Now I want to split off another television to be a mirror of TV2. It's not practical to use a three-way splitter (HFS-3D) because of the physical locations of TV2 and TV3.

Can I simply insert another HFS-2D as shown here?

[​IMG]

Thank you!

Last edited: Sep 24, 2017
  2. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Kansas City KS
    Ok with my VIP222K -

I use the triplexer connected to the RF remote jack, then there is a diplexer (what you have labeled as DPD2. The sat output on DPD2 goes to the LNB or my DPP33 switch, and the VHF/UHF port gets the little RF remote stub antenna. I have a separate cable coming down for the OTA module. The RF output goes to a splitter being used as a combiner with my OTA, then the output of that goes into a distribution amp / 8 way splitter that goes to all my RF stuff (including 4 tuners on the A/V cart of both TV and FM).

On your setup - TV2 and TV3 are probably NOT passing OTA RF (because the remote wouldn't work if you did (trust me - I've tried it in my house and the remote is wiped out by OTA RF)). it would be better to get a 3 way splitter (remote antenna, TV2 and TV3) and run cables to both TV2 and TV3

3. sparky672

sparky672 New Member

Jan 12, 2015
    Chicago
    Thank you for your reply!

If I'm imagining that correctly, it sounds nothing like what I have.

As mentioned in my original post, "It's not practical to use a three-way splitter (HFS-3D) because of the physical locations of TV2 and TV3". In my first diagram, the cable between the DPD2 and the HFS-2D is buried underground and it's a single coax. The only way a 3-way splitter would work is if I put TV3 on the same end of the buried cable as TV2. However, TV3 needs to be on the same end as the DPD2 switch.

[​IMG]

The problem with a 3-way splitter is that it would necessitate another buried cable or the antenna on the wrong end.

I'd really like to know if two of these HFS-2D splitters could be connected together as shown?

Last edited: Sep 25, 2017
  4. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    formally speaking, HFS-2D is a splitter, eg passing RF signal _from_ one IN to _two_ OUT,
    when you try use it (at bottom of your diagram) you should understand using it in non-supporting mode, so practically it will not work as a combo splitter/combiner, what you need to use in the point of feeding up RFota and down RFdvr_to_tv

add IN and OUT marks at each port of each device on your diagram with RF ranges and you'll get it

5. sparky672

sparky672 New Member

Jan 12, 2015
    Chicago
    Thank you for your response.

The first diagram showing TV1 and TV2 is how the Dish installer left it to me and it appeared to be working. Are you saying that the second RF antenna should not be working?

As a quick test, I removed the primary RF antenna from the back of the 722k, and R/C #2 for TV2 immediately stopped working. All along I thought R/C #2 was using this secondary antenna connected to the HFS-2D, but it was not. (Dish installer screwed this up... go figure.) EDIT: I see the issue now. The "secondary" RF antenna, as originally installed, cannot work since the antenna connection on the back of the receiver was not wired into anything; the port was taken by the primary antenna.

Since the primary antenna connected to the 722k seems to be the only RF antenna working for TV2, I don't need the secondary RF antenna, therefore, I'll no longer need two splitters, rendering the original question moot.

This is the new configuration for a third TV... tested and working:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 25, 2017
  6. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Kansas City KS
    If you have a problem using the RF Remote control. you can still put that antenna on a piece of coax and stick it in a location that serves all locations well.