1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can I deactivate and sell my HR24

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by skatingrocker17, Apr 16, 2012.

1. skatingrocker17

skatingrocker17 Godfather

Jun 23, 2010
    I have a non-owned HR-24. I was wondering if I could de-activate it and sell it on eBay or Amazon so I could try out the Tivo. I'm not paying $200 for the Tivo but I will pay it if I can get around that much for the HR24.

2. jkaetz

jkaetz Cool Member

Jan 13, 2010
    What makes you think you could sell something that you don't own? I think your answer is in your first sentence. I guess you could sell it, but you'd have directv asking for a large sum if you don't return it to them.

3. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    Once you deactivate it, DirecTV will be expecting you to see the receiver back to them. They will send you out a Recovery Kit for you to send the receiver back in.

- Merg

4. skatingrocker17

Jun 23, 2010
    I see non-owned models being sold on ebay and Amazon all the time. DirecTV still owns them so how do they sell them?

5. Carl Spock

Carl Spock Superfly

Sep 3, 2004
    They are stupid.

At least they will feel that way when DirecTV comes back at them in a month or two, wanting the DVR back.

After that, they will be poor and stupid.

6. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    New receivers get sold all the time.
    "Used" receivers must be owned to be reactivated on another account after the access card has been replaced.

"Used leased" receivers can't be activated on another account, so if someone buys one, they're throwing their money away.

7. Brubear

Brubear Legend

Nov 13, 2008
    It's fraud - theose people are selling devices they do not own so that the people who buy them are paying for product they can't use. The purchaser is informed by DirecTV upon an attempt to activate the unit that the unit cannot be used. Depending on the laws of the state of seller and purchaser the seller could conceivably be prosecuted for fraud or theft.

8. skatingrocker17

Jun 23, 2010
    Okay thanks. Looks like I'll just keep it then.

I do have a followup question though.

DirecTV has a promotion going on where you can get another HD-DVR for free. Say I get one, it hasn't been activated yet or anything so could I sell it?

This might not actually be possible though because I think they send someone out to instal it.

9. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    It might not be able to be activated by the buyer, but regardless of that, you'd be charged for it if you didn't activated it or return it within 30 days.

10. RunnerFL

RunnerFL Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2006
    The only people that can sell non-activated new leased receivers are Authorized DirecTV Resellers.

11. iceturkee

iceturkee DINFOS Trained Killer DBSTalk Club

Apr 1, 2007
    daytona...
    you can only sell a unit you own which means you paid much more than the lease upgrade price. for instance, i got a free hd dvr upgrade when i came back to dtv last year. if i wanted to purchase that leased hr 24 it would cost me $499. then i would own it. its that simple.

12. jkaetz

jkaetz Cool Member

Jan 13, 2010
    I see where you're coming from now. The "non-owned" receivers you see on ebay could have come from someplace like best buy or another authorized directv reseller. So long as the person selling the box hasn't activated it, they're in the clear. Not sure why they would do that though and it would still be worth while to get the receiver's id and check with DTV before buying it.

13. skatingrocker17

Jun 23, 2010
    That's what I figured but it was worth getting clarification.
    I didn't think about that. That's probably true but there are definitely some people out there trying to sell used, non-owned receivers.

14. Jodean

Jodean Icon

Jul 17, 2010
    Or someone that somehow "acquired" equipment from a reseller......